The Makers of Naturethroid & WP Thyroid have contacted Janie Bowthorpe

Here is a May 16th, 2018 update directly from RLC Labs to me via email (and perhaps on their site)–the maker of Naturethroid and WP Thyroid, both natural desiccated thyroid brands. Comments from me, Janie Bowthorpe, below that.

Since we went back into production, there have been a lot of questions–understandably so– around what caused the backorder, why certain strengths have been released ahead of others, and why available strengths are not yet at some pharmacies. We have done our best to communicate updates throughout the delay but deeply apologize if they did not reach you or answer your questions. It is not our intention to keep anyone in the dark or hide anything, and we hope this letter helps clear things up a bit more.

After expanding our operations to better accommodate growing demand and overcoming hurdles in obtaining raw material–the primary factor behind the backorder–we are happy to say that everything needed to ensure ongoing, full-scale production is in place. We are actively shipping and are focused on filling backorders.

We are far from being a “big pharma” company, however, and do not have the scale of one, but we are maximizing our working capacity and mean it when we say every effort is being made to expedite things. We are a small but dedicated team, many of whom take Nature-Throid® and WP Thyroid® , that has been and continues to be committed to keeping patients, not profits, the top priority. We also have very strict quality standards. Every batch of Nature-Throid and WP Thyroid is rigorously tested to ensure it meets or exceeds United States Pharmacopeia (USP) monographs for potency and consistency.

Our commitment to quality has been a huge factor in why no RLC Labs® medication has ever being recalled for inconsistent hormones and we do our due diligence to keep it that way. Working through our existing orders at our size and with our strict quality standards takes time, but progress is being made–including with WP Thyroid, which we will share updates on as soon as they become available.

We remain committed to staying as transparent as possible throughout this process, but just like any other company, some of our information–such as our processes and sources–is strictly internal-only. This has been understandably frustrating in some instances, but please know that we are sharing what information we can when we can. We will continue to do so, just as we have from the start, until all strengths are fully stocked and available again.

In that spirit, here are the real facts of some rumors you may have heard along the way:

● RLC Labs is not going out of business, nor have we been acquired by any other company.
● There are no issues with our licensing and the backorder is completely unrelated to any governmental or FDA-related rumors.
● Neither of our medications, nor any strengths of them, are being discontinued.
● We stay committed to maintaining the affordability of our medications. Pharmacies set their own prices, but ours have not changed.
● Our strict quality standards apply to every part of our operation–from our guaranteed hormone levels to our materials and manufacturing–which is why we carefully source our thyroid from the U.S. and Canada and are only in production in the continental U.S.

It has been difficult not being able to serve our patients at the level you have come to know and expect from us, but we know that what we are dealing with is a far cry from the challenges our patients are facing and for that we are truly sorry. Our teams are working around the clock to get us back on track, but below are some suggestions if your doctor or pharmacy is having trouble obtaining available strengths, or if you are having trouble locating them. Your continued understanding, patience, and support are greatly appreciated as we work to make things right.

ORDERING AND LOCATING AVAILABLE STRENGTHS

Please check the availability statement on our website (getrealthyroid.com) for a list of actively shipping strengths. If your doctor or pharmacy is having trouble obtaining available strengths, they can contact us directly for assistance via the ‘Provider’ tab on our contact page. Any pharmacy of your choice that is not required to order through a wholesaler can also contact us through our website for a direct account–this applies for many healthcare providers as well. Please note that most pharmacies do not order directly from RLC Labs but through third party suppliers, and many large chains are required to order through a wholesaler. Once product is out our doors, we have no control over how it is prioritized or distributed among pharmacies, nor do we have any insight into a specific location’s inventory. If you are having trouble getting an available strength from your local pharmacies, we recommend checking any of the mail-order pharmacies listed on our website. The states shown only indicate where they are located; please check the pharmacy’s website or contact them to see where they ship. When getting your prescription filled through any pharmacy–brick & mortar or mail-order–we also recommend asking for both the cash price and insurance price (pending coverage) as all pharmacies set their own prices.

Comments and summary from Janie Bowthorpe

As long as I’ve been doing this, I’ve always been amazed at the false information patients receive from Pharmacists especially, then from each other, which spreads like wildfire in groups.

For example, note above that RLC has not been bought out by another company, and they have their tablets produced in the continental US, i.e. NOT in Puerto Rico. Both rumors were rampant and widespread. I even approved a few comments on the STTM blog posts that stated the Puerto Rico comment, and had massive doubts. But the rest of their comment was too good to reject the post.

Also note that RLC labs is working on getting WP Thyroid back as well i.e., no, it has not been discontinued–another rumor. The lesson is: don’t believe everything you hear!!

Also note that the reason this all happened, says RLC Labs, is because of increased difficulty in obtaining their Thyroid USP–that means the desiccated porcine powder. Costs were getting higher, as well. So they state they are now sourcing their thyroid powder from both the US and Canada…they wouldn’t state from whom. The latter is also on top of “some infrastructural upgrades (bigger facility, updated technology, refined processes) not too long ago”, stated RLC, to better meet the growing demand for their medications.

Finally, I think it was a good recommendation to ask for both the cash price and insurance price at your pharmacy. There may be a savings there.

In the meantime….

There are other good Natural Desiccated Thyroid products like NP Thyroid made by Acella–many good reports on that one. Even the less popular Armour has been working for some, even if not all. Here is a summary of your choices for a much better treatment of your hypothyroid state.

Also please note: if you switch and don’t feel you aren’t doing well, consider two things:

1. The amount that did you well on Naturethroid or WP may be a different amount with another brand. REDO YOUR FREE T3 and FREE T4 and see how you stand after being on the different brand a few weeks, because you may need to tweak. Optimal puts the free T3 toward the top along with a free T4 mid-range.
  2. Some people have developed either a cortisol problem and/or iron issue, and it’s being revealed on the different brand. Find out by doing all four iron labs and cortisol saliva testing. Too many people are blaming brands, and it’s most likely either 1 or 2 are the real problems.

Don’t hesitate to comment below! Could RLC Labs have done all this better than they did?  Does the above give you peace of mind? Have YOU been able to acquire the latest Naturethroid? How are you doing??

• Need a good discussion group with integrity? Go here.
  • STUDY the Natural Thyroid 101 page on how patients have learned to use Natural Desiccated Thyroid–it’s important, as too many patients under dose themselves!
  • STAND UP AGAINST A DOCTOR who tries to dose you by the TSH. Be educated to counter his or lack of education!!
  • READ the STTM books! YOU have to become informed and confident to stand up to bad doctoring.
  • HAD A BAD REACTION TO ANY NDT?? It’s correctible!! Study this page

162 Responses to “The Makers of Naturethroid & WP Thyroid have contacted Janie Bowthorpe”

1. Angie

I contacted the maker of Nature-throid, RLC Laboratories, for the THIRD time this morning with regard to their apparent loss of potency..Provided my lab results and asked them to please advise…I will notify via this thread if I get a response.

2. housemaid

I went to the NP thyroid pill website today for the first time and saw they have a Low Price Finder where you can find the lowest price for NP, plus a link to Good Rx which shows prices for drugs at pharmacies near you. Good Rx can really save you money with their free coupons. I can see I have been seriously overpaying for NP. I also looked at the insert for NP and it says that you should start at just 30 mg and raise every 2-3 weeks by only 15 mg. at a time. Then they say 60 to 120 mg should be enough for most people! They also say, “Intracellular resistance to thyroid hormone is quite rare.” Guess they never heard of Reverse T3, etc! At least they aren’t putting microcellulose in their pills.

• Amy

What is the website? Also, since my wonderful Dr. Steelman has retired (insert weeping here) and a new less natural doctor has taken over his practice would anyone be able to direct me in finding a doctor, a place to find a doctor who prescribes either the NP or WP. My daughter’s PCP will prescribe WP, not sure about NP but he is general practice. I am at the point of desperation, my mind, my focus, my energy, my mood, my body, my hair are all suffering. I do not want to take Synthroid, I haven’t ever had to, my issue is not TSH anyway… thanks in advance. If anyone wants to email me I am fine with that too. I am reading all I can and trying to stay positive as I go up another pant size and my eyesight gets worse. =(

3. Patricia

NatureThroid seems to be getting more and more scarce CVS told my husband’s doctor that they are no longer making the 1 gr. size. They’re trying to switch him to something else. Maybe it’s just me, but during the past few months on NatureThroid I’ve gone hypo (after being stable for several years). My T3 is under the range (not even in it) and my T4 is at the lowest end of the range. I’m waiting to hear back from my doctor about a possible med change because I’m really tired and cold.

It’s more about shortages due to demand by former Naturethroid users. No, it’s not just you. LOTS of people noticing its FAR weaker. Something has gone terribly wrong.

• Susan

I am really getting worried about the shortage of Nature Thyroid. I have been without for 3 days now and after calling around, no luck finding it. I am being “Encouraged” by my “fill in” physician that I really should switch to Synthroid which I don’t want to do. Any luck finding it elsewhere folks?

4. Gina Thorsen

I get my thyroid from one of two compounding pharmacies. One of them cannot currently get the thyroid powder and the other is only giving patients one month of their pills at a time due to the shortage. I hadn’t realized this issue was beyond nature thyroid and WP thyroid, which are used to take before the shortages last year. I feel there is more to the story than we are being told and I am terrified of the prospect of not being able to get NDT.

5. Kim

ok, im about to have an ugly cry bc d last 6 weeks have been weird. 6 weeks ago that batch was ok, i was getting what i needed and then my tsh/3/4 where good and jumped to free t3&4 started lowering and tsh went 64. then a week later after a small increase to 2 grains and only tsh tested was 55. 3 weeks later, retested tsh 73, t3 free is 2.7, and t4 is .5. idk what to do. im allergic to coconut so i cant do. and my drs are going to freak out when i see them this week. i can see it now, mri, d works. ironically i feel amazing. except no weight loss but i had gained 15 pounds, dry hands, and coarse hair and super cold. is NP thyroid still good?

Yes, NP Thyroid is still good. Hang in there. You can switch to it.

• Kim

ok. just saw my dr and she was opened to switching to NP. i told her about the change which she herself was always afraid it would happen. putting off next blood work & new mri for 6 weeks with heavy symptom monitoring. she cant believe that im feeling overall amazing and only symptoms are weight gain at low speed and some hairloss. im afraid of np being a change since someone earlier said they also changed d formula? i believe it was a Lili on July 4. is NP sublingual? i was on 2 grains for NT and she put me on i guess d equivalent of 1 grain on NP 60 mg and titrate it as im going thru d motions bc ill b cking in every week.

6. James

Hello – First time commenter wanting to share my recent Nature Throid experience. I have been taking Synthroid 150 mcg since my total thyroidectomy 2 years ago due to a massive goiter. Struggled on Synthroid with 30 lb weight gain, low energy, low libido, etc. I decided to try a desiccated thyroid product and for the past 6 weeks have been on Nature Throid 97.5 mg. Initially felt better but gradually felt much worse with greatly increased fatigue and brain fog. Labs today revealed a TSH of 71.35 (up from 0.35 on the Synthroid). Free T4 was 0.4 ng/dLand Total T3 was 54 ng/dL, both below “range”. Endo won’t test for Free T3 for some reason. Endo is suggesting going back on Synthroid and adding Cytomel OR trying Armour 90mg. I’m wondering if anyone has an idea why my TSH went up so drastically on the Nature Throid? It’s made me nervous about trying another desiccated thyroid product. Thanks very much.

Hi James. Well first, 90 mg is probably severely underdosing you. Even your labs reveal that. When you do that, your TSH will go up and you will feel worse. Then when you have the problems people are having with Naturethroid being less effective, you have a double whammy. And Endo’s don’t understand any of this at all. They also tend to be TSH-obsessed as you raise, and you have to stand against that, as well.

Also, it’s never about the total T3. It always needs to be the Free T3, which measures what is available and unbound, unlike the Total.

Study this page on how we raise and what we look for to be optimal: http://stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101 Read it carefully, because you have to be informed to make NDT work.

P.S. NP Thyroid by Acella has proven to be cheaper than Armour, and a great brand.

• shell

Thanks Janie,
          Is there a page with ‘Ranges’ for labs? I read the Lab Work page & it says free t3 should be high range and ft4 midrange- but is there a chart that shows what the numbers in those ranges are? Thank you

No, some ranges are different based on the facilities, so there’s no “standard range”. But where we are even in different ranges is usually the same. So the Lab Values page still applies.

• James

Thanks for your thoughts, Janie. Very much appreciated. I am indeed considering a trial of NP Thyroid. I do have some concern about ingesting mineral oil on a daily basis, even a tiny amount. Perhaps I’m being overly cautious. I plan to call Acella and ask them about the source of their mineral oil. In the meantime I’m wondering if you have any thoughts about the safety of mineral oil in NP Thyroid? Thanks again!

7. Renee

Hey Janie, you don’t have to publish this if you don’t want to, but I just came across a job posting on Craigslist (posted 6 days ago on July 10) for warehouse,packaging and manufacturing workers for RLC labs!!!! I wanted to share it with you because I found it to be Interesting and possibly good news! The link to the entire posting is below.

“Manufacturing Key Accountabilities include:
    • Responsible for weighing of raw materials following RLC Labs operating procedures
    • Responsible for the operation, general maintenance and cleaning of equipment
    • Match all labels/containers with batch orders prior to start-up
    • Follow/dispense formula(s) as required
    • Completion and reconciliation of batch records, work orders, testing and related manufacturing
    • Team player”

The reason I am sending this to you is because it appears, from this posting, that RLC labs is actually moving forward!

Also, RLC labs has a CURRENT manufacturing permit with the Arizona State Board of Pharmacy that expires in October of 2019. Their property address listed with the Board of Pharmacy for RLC labs is stated as 1850 E. Riverview Dr. Phoenix, Arizona. When I googled that address it came up as a company called Midstate Mechanical (they have a facebook page with what looks like interior construction pictures).

I typed the address into google earth, and the name “Midstate Mechanical” is written on the front of the building. In the parking lot there looks to be lots of construction materials and debris and trucks. Looks like a lot of construction activity.

RLC labs and Midstate Mechanical share the same physical address, however Midstate also has 1900 E. Riverview for an address as well. It may be possible that RLC labs bought the warehouse (or leased it?) from Midstate.

In any case….I wanted to share it with you. It sounds like they are in the process of hiring a labor force for the warehouse.

On a personal note, I’m doing well now on the Acella NP. It took a while to adjust things, but my numbers are good for me and I’m feeling well. I also added in a small dose of compounded testosterone cream (prescribed by my doctor), and I’m feeling quite well. My hair has finally stopped falling out!
    So, if and when RLC starts production again, I will likely not be switching back to WP (even though I loved it). It took almost a year, but I’m finally stabilized again and I don’t feel like messing around with another med change especially after hearing about the issues with the new batches of Nature-throid.

8. Gail

I have been feeling worse since receiving the Naturethroid from the new production. Just had my TSH level checked and it has changed dramatically. The test results show that I am not getting enough hormone. Have the fillers been changed? I used to take Armour until they changed the fillers and I was no longer able to absorb the hormone. Did RLC do the same thing?

Remember that though the TSH can worsen, it’s more about the free T3 and free T4. We don’t know what has changed…RLC has always been secretive. But something clearly changed. You might try just raising it until your free’s are optimal i.e. free T3 towards the top and free T4 midrange. If problems are still there, time to switch.

• jean

I also, have been taking naturethroid for about 3 years now and since jan/Feb 2018 it’s been downhill. Finally went in for a blood test in June be because I was so tired and my hair has been falling out. T3 and t4 were perfect in the normal range. But my tsh sky rocketed to a 9. I was absolutely shocked as I haven’t changed any eating, drinking, or exercise habits. 1 month later increased my dose, but I’m still not feeling right. Loved this product before had no problem till this year. Now what to do??? I just want to feel better like I used to and have my hair not fall out:(

9. housemaid

Just looked at the RLC website and they have a July 6th update saying that there is no new information about WP available and to “check back soon”. So two months since their last update and still no news. This is really cruel. There is no good reason why they couldn’t have made at least the 1 mg dose of WP instead of making all these different doses of Nature-throid first. People on Nature-throid could have cut up pills to come up with the right dose, but people on WP can’t tolerate the fillers and are left with nothing but NP. It is helping me some, but not like WP did. Why must all thyroid pill manufacturers put these fillers in when it is unnecessary? Do they not understand that many thyroid patients can’t digest pills with fillers? Is there any kind of enzyme I could take that would make my left over supply of Nature-throid work again?

10. MICHELLE GRIMM

Hi! I really need some guidance here – I’m a bit of a mess. I was on Naturethroid for past 6 yrs, dosage was at 2 grains. Shortage happened, could no longer get from my pharmacy. Didn’t think it would be a big deal and I switched to Armour dosage 120 mg. I’m now in overdose mode. gained weight, anxiety, completely exhausted. My T-3 free up to 5.4 My doc just found our local pharmacy can get me NT 1grain (she said to just take 2 pills) I’m seeing all the comments that everyone is having complications with the new product of NT. Not sure if I should get on a lower dose of Armour (?) or try going back to the NT ? Something needs to change fast, I feel like crap and can barely function somedays. Thanks everyone!

11. Lori

I wish I’d read this thread b/f going to my dr yesterday! Their office actually lists STTM as one of the main websites they refer us to when considering thyroid issues…I thought that was pretty cool. It’s on all the paperwork. 🙂 Anyhow, I am 53 yo, had a total hysterectomy 12/17 and knew my body would change and thought I was prepared for it. In 4/18 when my thyroid/antibody levels were checked, I was “raging hypothyroid” and Hashi’s. My doc was surprised b/c I’d been on NatureThroid for 3 years (since 3/15) and had been doing well. Now suddenly I couldn’t get out of bed, developed joint pain and gained flabby tummy and weight. She increased my NT from 1.5 to 2 grains and we tested again on 5.24.18–labs were better but TSH was still 7.39 so she added 50 mcg Levo–thinking that I need more T4. Within two weeks, I felt as though I’d turned a corner in these long months of depression. I woke up with energy and an actual desire to get out of bed. Seems the T4 made the difference for me. But now after reading about all the NT/WP discrepancies going on, I’m wondering if the problem wasn’t the Naturethroid the whole time! I already take LDN so now we’ve added levo to the mix and it seems to be doing the trick. 6.28.18 labs were TSH .0166, Ft3 4.2 and Ft4 1.05. (they use STTM ranges as well) Yesterday she reduced my levo to 25 mcg and we’ll go from here. Labs again in 6 weeks. So glad I checked out your site again.

• Christine

I also ran into this. My holistic dr tried adding in extra 25mcgs of synthroid on top of my Naturethroid and its helped some but I am still hypo so I am leaning towards trying compounded since there doesn’t seem to be any WP coming out any time soon. We were more just trying to see how I felt with the added t4 but I am still waiting on my Reverse T3 results to see if it is pooling or not. I think I am affected by fillers as well as dealing with cortisol issues and insulin resistance that was found in my saliva test. Its definitely all overwhelming and then to add to it theres either shortages on medicine or they change the formulas which doesn’t help!

The use of NDT is not about adding T4 to it, though. It’s about raising the NDT until optimal. But glad you are looking at the RT3. But high RT3 and pooling are two different things. One is the inactive hormone (RT3) going up, and usually due to inadequate iron first, inflammation second. The other is T3 going high and not getting to the cells. That is usually due to a cortisol issue.

• Christine

Yeah I definitely still have some issues to sort out and I think I may just try compounded. I only had a 30 day supply of Synthroid since we were just trying it so it wasn’t quite long enough to get a good read on labs but this was with 65mgs of Naturethroid split dosed and then 25mcgs of Synthroid in the morning. I hadn’t had anything since 3pm the day before and had labs drawn at 8am. I know usually its 4-6 weeks before drawing labs so these aren’t probably the most helpful. I also am waiting on the rest of my iron tests so that isn’t helpful yet either. Its definitely overwhelming but I’m trying to sort this out. 🙂
          TSH 1.7 (.3-4.2)
          FT3 3.3 (2.8-4.4)
          FT4 .9 (.9-1.7)
          RT3 15 (10-24)
          Vit D 27 (20-50)
          Iron, S 95 (35-145)
          Ferritin, S
          A1C 5.1 (4.2-5.6) – Ran due to insulin resistance showing up on saliva test

• Sharon

Hi Janie, I’m on NT 2 1/4 grains (about to switch to NP). I have graves (RAI) and Hashis. My iron is low- in range, but not optimal to STTM (Ferritin is high-out of range) Free t4=1.59 (0.82-1.77); free t3=3.6 (2.0-4.4); Reverse t3=33.3 (9.2-24.1) Super high! Any recommendations for lowering reverse t3? Raising iron? Lowering inflammation? Thank you!!!!!

12. Lili

Is there anyone feeling worse on NP Thyroid? I have been using NP Thyroid for about 2 years with great results, but have been going downhill with my two recent refills. I don’t know what to do, but I know for sure that I had the same symptoms when I was on the new erfa. The texture of the pills are not so soft anymore and they look shinier just like the new Erfa. The difference is so obvious when I compare the new pills with the older ones I saved from my other refills.

Would be a good idea to do your free T3 and free T4, plus RT3. You may need to tweak.

• housemaid

Lili, I was not on NP before, but I started it about 7 weeks ago. I had been on WP successfully, but I ran out and then started Nature-throid. NT did not work at all due to fillers. So I have been taking 3 grains of the NP and am having some success, but not nearly as much as on WP. I just noticed that I need to up my dose a little because the NP is only 60 mg per 1 grain instead of 65 mg like the WP. My supply of NP is about to run out and I am scared that you think the NP has changed. My pills are the soft and not very shiny ones that you describe as being the original. I hope that I don’t get some “new, improved” (NOT!) version of NP when I order again in a few days. It has been at least 10 months since WP has been available. I check their website every day. It is torture waiting to get my life back the way it was before I ran out of WP.

• Amy

I am so confused, so much information to absorb and try to discern. I know the NT is junk from personal experience, I’m dying over here….
      -What is the NP?
      -Westthroid worked for me, is it still okay?
      -Has all Armour been reformulated since Forest was bought out?
      -Has anyone ever bought Armour from Canada? It mentions being a synthetic version of the desiccated thyroid. What does that mean? UGH!
      -What about a med named Thyroid from Canada Manufactured by Erfa?
      I am desperate, slowly losing energy, hair and quickly putting on weight despite walking and working out… Wont get to see a new doctor for 2 months, I cant go that much longer without meds and my old new doctor is set on NT and hormone replacement for $3500 a year!!
      Thanks in advance.

NP is a brand of NDT by Acella.

Westhroid is fine if you can find it.

Armour was reformulated.

Erfa in Canada is NOT synthetic.

Learn: http://stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101

• Amy

Thank you!! I will attempt to read and focus on the info you shared, my focus and memory are suffering greatly.
          What is your personal opinion of the ERFA product? Better than nothing?
          And we can get Westthroid where we are, just have to get in to a new doctor who will prescribe it, that is couple months off.

• Kelly

I have been taking Erfa for a number of years. It worked extremely well for me. Then a few months ago I noticed that the taste changed. It no longer had that distinct thyroid taste,but now there was a strong sugary taste. I noticed that my symps slowly began returning so I began taking more. I went from taking 1 grain to 3 grains and my symps wouldn’t go away. So I switched to Nature-Throid and my symps are still bad.(drained feeling,brittle nails,eyebrows stopped growing back are my major ones) Im only 10 lbs overweight.. I have to wonder if these companies are all lowering the amt of dessicated thyroid and not stating on the label causing all of us to question the formulas..I really don’t know what to do at this point.

Kelly, moving to Naturethroid was the worst decision. It’s now weaker than it used to be. NP Thyroid by Acella is a better choice.

• Shell

So Janie, I’m currently on Armour 120 because it’s all i can get for my dosage (was on NT 113) Would you recommend NP Thyroid by Acella? If so, is the dosing the same as either Armour or NT? My doc is CLUELESS about thyroid, but I can’t afford one of the specialist docs. I’ve no insurance.

Yes about NP. It’s been a good product. Yes about the dosing, but we always work to be optimal, which puts the free T3 towards the top part of the range and free T4 mid-range—both. And that’s with also having good iron and cortisol levels.

• Michelle Grimm

Hi Janie, I switched to ARmour about 4 months ago, about 6 weeks ago I crashed (felt like adrenals crashing) have gained 10 lbs, anxiety, overheated. My doc just found Naturethroid is available at our local pharmacy again and has called in script for me to change back. I was on 2 grain NT for 6 yrs, no problems. I started the ARmour 4 mos ago dosage was 120 mg. My T3 free is up to 5.4. I feel like crap, foggy-brain, can’t focus. Wondering if I should start 2 grain of NT right away and will it take awhile for symptoms to shift? Thank you for any insight!

• Heather

Yes, I’m experiencing the same thing. Was on WP until early winter 2017, then had to switch to NP. Did ok for a few months, but recently have been experiencing aches and pains I haven’t experienced in the past. Also experiencing mood swings. I recently went raw/vegan. I’m hoping this will heal me so that I can stop NDT’s all-together. I no longer trust them and I’ve NEVER trusted the pharmaceutical companies.

• January

I was also doing great until the Naturethroid reformulation. Now all my hypo symptoms have returned even though nothing in my life has changed except the medicine. I have gained 20 lbs in seven months in spite of healthy eating and plenty of exercise. My labs look normal and my iron levels are normal, too. Brain fog, joint aches, losing hair, dry skin, weak nails, NO energy, and itching skin with no rash. I am at my wit’s end with this issue.

13. bruce

Takes a LOT for me to believe some of the internet rumors , but I can tell you that I’ve been on 3 grains naturehthroid for 4 years and most recently have had these Horrendous crashes in the afternoon. Went to go get tested and ended up with a TSH of 5.6 , ft4 not in range low, and a Ft3 barely mid range. I keep increasing, but its not helping. This new stuff is GARBAGE! I googled switching to NP thyroid and found this site. I remember you janie from about 8 years ago, when you talked me into getting off of synthroid LOL nice seeing you again. Do you think switching to NP is an okay decision?

14. Angie

Has anyone here actually tried the Westminster brand of dessicated thyroid? I did some nominal research…small private LLC…short list of inactives…Looking for others’ experiences when taking it and whether or not it was easy to obtain…

• Sylvia Langlinais

I started taking NDT from Westminster two weeks ago. I get it from Walgreen’s. The 90mg I take is the same T4/T3 ratio as the 113.75 WP Thyroid. I switched from a compounded formula that made me breathless. I feel better already. I am giving it another two weeks before getting blood work.

• Dana

Hi Sylvia – I called Walgreens and they said they didn’t have Westminster Thyroid. May I ask which Walgreens you filled it through? Thank you!

• Angie

Hi Sylvia: Thanks for your reply…my CVS Pharmacy here in a VERY rural area has ordered the Westminster for me..I called this morning to check the status of the order and they had had to order it a 2nd time as it still had not arrived…I was due for a refill and was feeling so badly on the remains of my N-T that I switched to Armour until the Westminster arrived..Glad to hear you are doing well on it.. I’m encouraged and hopeful…the list of fillers is short and I’ve never had a problem with magnesium stearate (was also used in ERFA)..so am hoping that the Westminster will work for me also

15. Rebecca

I loved the WP, but have now had to switch to Nature throid , I’m on 2 grains which I split am and afternoon. My last labs were ft4 0.8 and ft3 2.4, suppressed tsh. My naturopath is prescribing 5 mcg t3 to add every morning. I’ve read all the tips here, but still nervous. Should I just go to 1 grain and add the 5mcg t3 at first? Thanks in advance!

16. Christine

Hi Janie-
    I may end up trying a compounded T4/T3 medicine, my question is it seems you can get a synthetic T4/T3 or also a compounded T4/T3 that uses natural (porcine). I am guessing its still better to do the natural compounded but then there is also an option of immediate release or sustained release for the T3 portion (if I am understanding this correctly). I am working on treating a cortisol issue right now and am still hypo but having trouble raising my Naturethroid dose right now. I also feel crummy with my T4 as low as it is so I may try compounded for a higher T4 to T3 ratio and to see if its fillers I am having an issue with too and just was wondering your thoughts on T3 (sustained or immediate). Thank you!

Honestly, we have found that doing compounded NDT with sustained release to be redundant. T4 is basically a stained release thyroid hormone already! i.e. it will convert to T3 as your body needs that conversion. And since we take NDT twice a day, same with T3–no need for slow release, plus we want the bulk of it during the daytime.

17. Rachel Murphy

I was on armour & had bad side effects found out about WP & it was a life saver for me. I was switched almost a year ago to NP due to the back order & over time am inquiring bad migraines every single day. I had blood work done to see if it was a dosage issue but no blood work is normal. I have made several calls & no luck to get WP. I looked it up & found this. Can I ask if you have any idea when you will get the WP back? Can I have a compound pharmacy make this at all? I am desperate, as I am super sensitive to medications & the ONLY thing that I can tolerate is the WP. Thank you!

Sadly, we have no idea when or if WP will come back. And even if it does, this craziness with the new Naturethroid makes one wonder if WP will not be the same either.

18. Ryan P

“full production” and yet here we are… a month later and no dosage is available again, not even the main 65mg dosage. No one has with a 50 mile radius. CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Safeway, you name the pharmacy, they all chuckle when you ask about it and say “Yeah, no sorry, they went out of business.” So until I see otherwise, I’m going to assume that’s the case. There’s far too little info being released, they didn’t answer specifically what ingredient was on backorder for us to verify, and the FDA has no reports of them upgrading facilities, or switching addresses. Lie to me some more RLC.

19. Jess

Wow. I didn’t even know any of this was still going on. I quit this brand about 2 years ago because even back then it was turning into all the Armour reformulations all over again.

20. Karen Williams

I also am feeling awful on the new nature thyroid, my ft3 is only 2.8 ft4 .7 tsh 2.5. This really is life changing.

• Leigha Vest

Tried alot of the thyroid meds diagnosed Hashimotos 12 years ago, Armour,Westhroid,compounded t3/t4,tirosint Recently was on Synthroid 88(gained weight fat flabby stomach,dry skin,fatigue) for two years. Then had WP thyroid one grain one month loved it! Can’t get it! Now just switched started on NP thyroid 1grain only been on it one week. Problem is right when I wake up I feel good then I exercise one hour and after I feel dizzy and want to go back to bed then dizziness stays till about 3:00 and finally goes away but I have very heavy feeling limbs at times. Other than that I like the NP. Are the dizziness and heavy limbs just a temporary switch side effect? I have had issues with dizziness on reformulated Armour.

• Angie

I just got labs back…same for me…on 2 grains of N-T, my frees have been consistently around 1.0 (FT4) and 3.7 (FT3) HCUSA parameters…My Frees were .86 and 2.7 respectively…definitely something off…Reverse T3 about the same…not sure what I’m going to do at this point..

21. Cathy Newcomb

My TSH was 6.21 in March of 2017 but my doctor wanted to “make sure” I had a problem before starting meds. It was 4.63 in April so she started me on .05 Levothyroxine. I switched to Armour 30 mg in February of this year and in March my TSH was 3.77. She had me add 2 pills a week. In April, I switched to Naturethroid (at my request). Before filling my first prescription for Naturethroid, I asked to be bumped up to 3/4 or 1 grain. She refused saying I still had a functioning thyroid and giving me too much would “kill it off”. (Is that true??) I’ve had my Free T4 checked twice. It was 0.9 in both March of 2017 and 2018. She won’t test Free T3 because she said it not accurate depending on stress, etc. I feel lousy! Can anyone tell me where to find the documentation to show where TSH goes low on NDT so that I can show her?

You have an incredibly lousy doctor, but here goes: http://stopthethyroidmadness.com/tsh-why-its-useless And there is one of her colleagues, a doctor, who wrote the chapter on the TSH, saying basically the same thing, in the STTM II book: https://laughinggrapepublishing.com/stop-thyroid-madness-ii-book/

• Crystal

Janie I am having the SAME problem! I am on 3 grains of Armour.I am trying to get a second opin at a bigger teaching hospital but so far has been rejected. I have your book but they reject anything out of there. I went to AACE website & got symptoms of HypoT of there for the dumba** Doc & it came to me AACE briefly mentions Armour thyroid says it hasn’t been studied very much. I was thinking (for all of us) to do is contact the FDA and ask them whether we are being under-Treated b/c the lab machines are calibrated to T4 only meds & not NDH? B/c All across the board you find that they come in with a lower TSH! Maybe the problem is calibration of the machines. I used to work in a blood bank and we had to calibrate the machines daily to a control &the control comes from the makers of the machines. What IF there is only a control for T4 only? I know TSH shouldn’t be the only thing used but AACE teaches them that!!! What if we all filed complaints with the FDA? They would have to do something like contact all labs & issue a statement that NDH are not calibrated for the machine and a WNL may show as a Low TSH?
        What do you think? Thanks Janie for all you do. I’m so tired of fighting these stupid endos! Oh and did you know Levo causes CA!? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3765368/

It may be the worst thing to do to contact the FDA. They are not on our side…they have always been more on the side of the pharmaceuticals and their profits.

There are actually no “lab machines”. Instead, the pharms use volunteers to test and thus create their ridiculous ranges…and they have no clue that they are clearly using volunteers with thyroid or other issues…all the latter which make “normal” ranges as normal for people who are sick, not those who are doing well.

22. P. Susan

Is anyone happy with the generic Cytomel ( liothyronine sodium)? I’ve added Cytomel back in since the “new” Naturethroid left me with horrible overall body joint pain. I’m looking to switch to the generic Cytomel if you all say it’s just as effective. Thanks!

Did you not try raising the new Naturethroid? That may have done the trick. Otherwise, yes, people are happy with the generics if they understand what to look for with lab work.

23. Bob

Here is somthing that i found helps my underactive thryroid. I take MCT oil and it has helped a lot, gives me more energy and i do not have to take as much thyroid meds as i used to. Try it it works. Just do not take the oil on an empt stomach without eating food first.

24. Julia Howes

I was on Synthroid for yrs.,terrible side affects,then went on Armour & felt great! Formula changed in U.S., not working, got it from Canada,doing great! Formula changed, not working. Then took Naturoid, from Pharmacy in Arizona. Doing good but not as good as oringinal Armour, then started having side affects & feeling yucky. Turns out reformulated. Did not smell like usual. My bottle looked different too. Instead of see through brown generic little bottle, it was bigger solid white, with professional printed labeling on front but the Pharmacy’s plastered label over the complete ingredient portion. I decided to peel away the Pharmacy pasted label back & whoa! What a big surprise! NO dissicated product at ALL! Main ingredient was Lexvothrine, the ARTIFiCIAL or Syntheic thyroid medicine! I call Ed the Pharmacist & he said that it has always been that way! Said if I was having side affects to go back to my doctor & have him give me meds for them! He said their product was NOT different! So, I stopped taking Naturoid & started on Thyrogold & wow! All of my bad side affects went away! I actually lost weight & lost all of my bloated ness! My muscles & bones did not hurt anymore, my hair was falling out on Naturoid too. But now doing good. My skin was horrible on it , so dry & thick or hardened looking but now so soft & subtle. Stopped feeling sluggish & kind of depressed. . I am now working on proper dose I need but feel great again!

• Judith Auerbach

Hi, Julia,
      I had tried the Thyrogold also and at first it seemed to be working but lately I’ve had reactions What strength have you been taking?

Thanks

• Marilyn Borley

I looked into Thyro Gold and wonder why on earth it is made from cows according to this article. https://www.naturalthyroidsolutions.com/contents-of-thyro-gold.html

Because bovine works, too.

• Amy Campbell

I have only taken Armour/Westhroid, I’m not sure what NP, WP or Thyro-gold are. However, after almost 12 years on Arm/West I am miserable on Naturethroid. My doc of 11 yrs retired, greedy doctor who took over is changing things for the worsethe Naturethroid, and pushing hormone therapy on everyone… NO!! I have been on 3 gr of West since Oct. 2015 now on the naturethroid, cant stop gaining weight and my hair is thinning again! I have literally worked my rear off to lose weight and keep it off, to have this happen. Working out, eating right, walking and still I am back to gaining ounces daily. The doc who took over is sticking with naturethroid… I have to find a solution fast, I cannot afford to buy a new wardrobe or keep having brain fog and fatigue. Advice would be greatly appreciated. How is everyone getting this thyroid? Do I have to obtain a prescription? I am cash pay, no insurance.
          I am Native American, I have my tribal card but I have never used those benefits. Worried I am not going to get my West or Armour back and I am ready to cry, actually I have cried. My doc is not listening. HELP, please and thank you!!

• housemaid

Julia, you say some pharmacy in Arizona was giving you Naturoid and it was not dessicated thyroid but synthetic. Are you misspelling Nature-throid or is this Naturoid something that a compounding pharmacy has come up with? As far as I know there is no commercial thyroid called Naturoid. The ingredient in Synthroid is levothyroxine (T4). The same ingredient is listed on my old bottle of Nature-throid. However, the Nature-throid also lists T3 (liothyronine). Unmentioned on the Nature-throid label but still present are T1 and T2. So I guess the T4 in both the synthetic and the dessicated is called the same on the label, although one is man-made and one is from pigs. If the label of the drug you got did not list T3, then maybe a compounding pharmacy was making up something which had a similar sounding name to Nature-throid, but was really just cheap synthetic T4 and trying to pass it off as dessicated thyroid to fool people.

25. joyce martino

I am getting a new 100 tabs of 2 grains NT.. Santa Monica Homeopathic in Santa Monica has been able to fill scripts as they had a good supply when they knew about the RLC issue.

Has the formula been changed and has the price increased. thanks.

26. housemaid

What does “a few more months” mean in regard to making WP again? Two months, five, seven, what?! I had already gained 30 lb. in a couple of months on my old bottle of Nature-throid that I found after running out of WP. I needed a cane to walk and was looking into wigs, so I quit thyroid altogether for a couple of weeks. Although my joint/tendon pains got better off Nature-throid, I gained 5 lb in one week. My legs felt like dough. I fell for a phishing scam even though I am normally the most skeptical of people.

In desperation I decided to try NP because it doesn’t have the cellulose, but local pharmacies only had ten 60 mg tablets here and 20 tablets there. I had been on 3 grains of WP, so that wasn’t much help. They told me there was a shortage of NP, too, and they couldn’t order me more. I got the NP from a mail order pharmacy, but had to pay $150 for 2 months worth. They said the 180 60 mg pills I ordered was half their supply. Only been on NP a couple of days. Surprised it is so small and sweet. Dissolves under tongue, not chalky at all. It did get my temp up to 98.6, so far so good. Anybody know a mail order pharmacy with good prices and supply of NP? I live in a small town with no Costco, no Target.

• Starr D.

Can you possibly try Sam’s Club? (you don’t have to be a member to get medicine from there.)
      I’m in Southern California, and they’ve always been able to get NP for me, since I was forced to
      switch due to the WP shortage. Maybe wherever you are, they could get it for you, too. Not sure
      if you can order prescriptions by mail from them, but you might look into this, as an option.

• Carolyn Yost

I tried taking NP under the tongue and found I did not absorb as much as if I took it and swallowed it.

27. Jim Martin

NO WP to be had anywhere I’ve checked in Southern Oregon…Very frustrating, so similar to the Armour baloney of years ago when a company says everything is fine when it is FAR from it.

28. Amy

My experience – Naturethroid potency feels the same. I was feeling hypo but my meds were expired, I feel so much better & back to normal on “fresh” meds. Nature-throid is 2.8x less expensive than NP & Armour in my area. I hope they get their act together as I do not want to switch meds.

29. Red

I was pretty stable on Nature-Throid for 2 years, and my hormones (FT3/TF4) look good on 3,5 grain. In the beginning of March I received the new batch of Nature-Throid. It was expensive to buy the only available strenght, 1 grain, and have it shipped here but I thought on 3,5 grain I would have enough for at least 10 months. It cost me $400.- I just started taking it like I always do, like I have done for years and thought nothing of it. After 2 weeks I felt completely woozy, miserable and constipated, it was awful. Because my mind wasn’t at home thanks to the new Nature-Throid formula, it took me a while to realise that my meds were the cause of my sudden illness. I still had 2 bottles with an expiration date in 2019 (new batch is 2021). I started taking the 2019 pills in 3,5 grain again and I rapidly felt like myself again. For the last month and a half I’ve been fine. Obviously my 2019 stock won’t last much longer. I don’t know what to do. Nobody seems to know by how much you should adapt your dosage with these new pills. I agree that this is proving every NDT critic right. It’s a very stressful period in my life right now, my partner who was always healthy as a horse was hospitalized 2 weeks ago, I have a job, we need to move and I can’t just check out of my life again and spend a couple of months in bed or in la-la-land again because some lab decided that my trusted pills should be changed, just like that. My body sucks enough as it is without me having to search for another optimal dose for god knows how long. I hate this and I really, really blame RLC labs for changing the formula. This new stuff is unstable and does NOT contain the same potency. Money is tight right now, and I thought I was covered for this year, but thanks to RLC Labs, I will have to invest in new labs, and new trips to a doctor to get a subscription for a European brand, which I then will have to pay for because only Synthroid is covered, of course. And then 400 dollars of meds will just lie around in my drawer. It’s laughable that RLC labs writes about how affordable they want to be. Well guess what, if you water down the potency that much everyone might as well switch to Armour because down the line it will probably cost the same.

Does anyone know how much 3,5 grains in 2019 Nature-Throid is in pills with the 2021 experation date? 4 grain? 5? Experiences here seem to differ a lot, with some even claiming the new batch isn’t weaker but stronger. How come?

I do chronically have problems with anemia (I’m 29 y/o, have been hypo since I was 25), low cortisol, low vitamin D, high RT3 and never-ending colds, so I might consider switching to Cytomel right away. I don’t have Hashi’s, I just checked anti-TPO again. My new doc thinks that my original TSH of 11,5 on a scale of 0,4-4 was not actually caused by the thyroid itself and almost fell of his chair when I told him I was taking 3,5 grains daily, claiming that was an insane amount of thyroid hormones. So here we go again. I can’t properly express how sick and tired I am of the whole freaking circus that follows when Synthroid does not fix. I’m supposed to start making babies in a year or so and it’s my duty to fix this body before I get pregnant so I don’t mess up the future kids before they are even born. Now that Nature-Throid changed the formula, I don’t even know where to start. I hope the guy in charge of changing the formula and lying about it steps on a little sharp LEGO block in a dark room in the middle of the night.

• Renee

“I hope the guy in charge of changing the formula and lying about it steps on a little sharp LEGO block in a dark room in the middle of the night”. Oh Red….your comment made me laugh out loud! I couldn’t have said it better. That was hilarious!

What is not hilarious is your story. I am so sorry to hear about what you’ve had to go through, and that you partner has been so ill. This has been a nightmare for so many people. I just wonder what the CEO and executives at RLC labs are thinking. Are they happy with themselves for what they have allowed to happen to so many people who depended on their products for their health? Do they even care at all about the people or has profit become the bottom line like it has with so many other companies?

I had been on Synthroid for many years and was extremely ill on it. I finally found WP and was doing great for the first time in 20 years of being constantly sick. Then when WP went on back order I got switched to Nature-throid. I got sick on Nature-throid, so I switched to Acella NP. Although NP is okay, I have had to increase my dosage and my T3 and T4 are way too low and my TSH is out of range and indicates that I am actually taking too MUCH medication when in reality I am not taking enough. ARGH!!!! Thank goodness I have a doctor who doesn’t just rely on TSH testing or I would be in a world of trouble. In any case, I have felt like my life has been on hold since last fall when RLC stopped production on WP (the only med that truly worked for me). Since then my life has become focused on my disease again, and I have struggled to find a medication and the right dosage for me. The people at the place where I get blood drawn know me by name now because I’m there practically every month or so (not something I’m proud of!). I, like so many others I’m sure, agree with you that we cannot properly express how sick and tired we are of this mess that RLC has created.

I cannot help but think (i certainly have NO proof) that this whole scenario was meticulously planned out and executed by them. They knew exactly what they were doing and they knew exactly what the effects would be. I think they planned to create an artificial shortage knowing full well that it would cause chaos and wreak havoc in people’s lives. Then when they finally start up production again when people are truly desperate, their pills will be less effective so you need more and they will eventually raise the price to make more profit. And on top of that, I’m sure big pharma is going to have a field day with this and push synthroid even more on us. We will probably see more synthetic thyroid meds being produced in the future as “reliable solutions” to the unreliable NDTs. I can imagine that we may even see that insurance companies will decide to no longer cover any NDTs in the future and we will have to pay hundreds of dollars out of pocket for our medication that may or may not work or be forced to take big pharma synthetic drugs. WP thyroid was great for me and a lot of people loved the old Nature-throid. After 20 years of being sick, I finally found something that worked and made me well again, and then BOOM….it was abruptly taken away with no notice, and who knows IF or when it will return. And IF and when it does return, who knows IF the recipe will be different. My guess is that it will not be the same as it was before the shortage.

I hope that you are able to find a dosage of the new med that works for you. Thyroid disease is awful. It interferes with your entire life and impacts everything from work to personal relationships. I am sending you and everyone out there who is struggling, my best thoughts and wishes.

And…….May your LEGO curse come to fruition!

• Belinda

My naturopath told me to double my dose of the crappy stuff, and I started feeling the beginnings of normal after about 5 days. I chew it up and hold it under my tongue for several minutes before swallowing. Also, I was able to find some 2 grain NatureThroid with the 2019 expiration at WalMart. You can call around to various pharmacies to see what strengths they might have with the 2019 expiration.

30. Ann

I have been on Nature-throid for over a year now with much anxiety trying to locate proper strengths . I just went to my doctor who said she would like me to switch to NP Throid as she said she found out that the makers of nature throid are sourcing from China. Has anyone heard anything regarding this issue? And should this be a problem if they are??

• Amy

No, you’re not the only one. I asked my doctor why I have progressively started felt worse the last 6 months. I have felt great since I started Armour/Westhroid in May 2006. Started on the naturethroid right before the shortage. I am back to feeling stressed, sluggish, hair thinning, moody, dry skin and I have slowly put back on 30 lbs., this is despite eating healthy (low carb) as I have for 11 years keeping the weight off, exercising and walking. My doctor dismissed my suspicions that the thyroid may be off. I take so much they prefer I take it in 2 separate doses 3-4 hours apart. This is because when I take the full 3 at one time I can get heart palpitations. I started 3 weeks ago taking the full 3 all at once, not one sign of any palpitations. I became curious when I realized a few months ago I can no longer smell the distinct meaty smell of the thyroid in the middle of the night when I take my first dose. That is how I always knew I had the right pill bottle, the smell when I opened it. Now it smells like glue to me. What is going on? I am desperate to find an answer, that is how I found this blog. searching for answers. No matter what I do the scale goes up, its making me miserable and I cant afford to buy a whole new wardrobe…. at this rate, I am about to give up on this doctor. I cant pay over $100 a month to see them while not feeling any better and constantly gaining weight. =(
      Best of luck to you.

31. Sandy Budzik

I can’t be the only one that has found the new NatureThroid not as strong as previous one. It looks different and it tastes different. Was optimal for several years with NT until I began taking new NT but have had to increase almost 1 grain to feel the same as before. Will be doing labs soon but don’t need labs to tell me I’m not taking enough NT. I’ve sent notes to RLC about this but have never had response. It really makes me furious that a company would do this. Unfortunately, this just feeds the fire for the Synthroid pushers that NDT is unreliable because it’s never the same formula.

32. Amy

I always liked Nature-throid and having just got a fresh batch of it I feel better already. I cannot entirely blame the company but I was taking long expired meds and clearly they had lost potency.

I just got a prescription for NP Acella after some struggle with local pharmacies and bugging my doctor…but I was not prepared for the price tag. Ouch.

Nature throid for a month was $20….NP Acella is $70!!!! Just a tiny bit cheaper than Armour. This is awful, I have to pay out of pocket – this is simply too much.

If I need an slight increase on Acella as my doc suspects this will put me at $87/month….FROM $20.49.

I have to pay out of pocket…this isn’t going to work for me 🙁

This whole situation makes me sick, I want to stay with Nature-throid and I’m in an impossible situation.

33. Crystal

Personally I think this is a load of garbage! Ask yourselves how a company can afford to relocate, open a new manufacturing plant, stop production of ALL its products (the great majority for a year or more) and then expect to survive? Either their Finance Executive needs to be fired or something is very wrong here. Id love to see a copy of this company’s accounts. How are they paying their employees with NO income or very little from the few doses that have only just started to filter through?
    I suspect that they are reducing their output and waiting for revenue to improve before they can afford to start producing other doses and WP. They have obviously only started to produce the doses that make the most money.
    If this had been a planned operation they would have stock piled all doses of both brands to see them over the disruption of a genuine manufacturing shutdown due to relocation – I mean why would you bite the hand that feeds you????
    Now they are alienating people and losing customers hand over fist, many of which will not come back. If they had no problem with manufacturing their products why cant they just start producing at least limited stock of all doses and WP?
    This has all the hallmarks of a financial crisis with a company either in denial or trying to regroup in the hope they will have something left to salvage.
    Personally, I gave up long ago and accepted that WP was not going to return and certainly not any time soon or in its last form before it was stopped. The sad thing is that this company is either in denial, has no morals or conscience and is prepared to risk the health and lives of so many people by not warning them of what was about to happen to their medication a year ago.
    On principle I would never give them my business now, because id never trust them again.

34. Margaret

I’m on Naturethroid 2 grains, just got my lab results back and they’ve improved from my labs 2 months ago. The new Naturethroid seems to be working fine for me…very grateful! I hope others who aren’t doing well, see improvements very soon.

35. Katrina

On NAturethroid, prior to shortage I felt great, numbers were good and symptoms subsiding and weight melting. Then the shortage shoved me to NP and I don’t feel great, joints aching, hair falling out, weight back on. Labs show TSH fine, T3 mid range, T4 number is lower than range so suggesting I’m on too much. Cortisol doubled. Extremely stressful life these past months. Doctor thinks it could be high from stress. Either way things aren’t working like they did o NAturethroid. Wish I could get back to what it was before shortage.

To the contrary, that’s not too much. It’s too little. Optimal puts the free T3 toward the top of the range, not mid-range. Also puts the free T4 midrange. It will work just as Naturethroid did if you get to optimal. http://stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101

• Katrina

That’s what I thought when I saw the labs he showed, the number was less than the lowest “in range” number. But my doc says I’m on too much. I wish I understood it all better, wish my doctor did too!

Your doctor is going by the TSH. We do NOT go by the TSH when ON T3 or NDT!! It’s normal for it to go below range on NDT or T3! http://stopthethyroidmadness.com/tsh-why-its-useless

• Jill

Thanks, Janie. So to be clear, my TSH is at 0.044 and my T3 is at 5.2. I’m exhausted most of the time. Climbing stairs wipes me out and I used to be a boxer. My doctor is letting me increase to 90, but I don’t feel like it’s enough. Is the TSH okay at .044? IT looks like they didn’t do my T4. Praying more armor thyroid lets me have some days with energy. Trying to be patient and let it kick in.

It has proven to be perfectly normal for the TSH to fall very low like that, and with no negative issues. You didn’t put ranges, but if that free T3 is over range, you are pooling: http://stopthethyroidmadness.com/pooling

36. Carol

Thank you for this great information. My daughter took Armour for years and our pharmacy switched one year ago to Naturethroid. Since then and without realizing a possible connection, she has developed both high cortisol and anemia. She has no adrenal or pituitary tumor and has never taken steroids or The Pill – thus finding no cause for her high cortisol so is being diagnosed as “sub – clinical” cushings and they want to start her on a new med called Korlym which leads to other meds (and lots of side effects) and starts a long and vicious cycle. Please explain further about your statement at the bottom of this page where you state: “Some people have developed either a cortisol problem and/or iron issue, and it’s being revealed on the different brand. Find out by doing all four iron labs and cortisol saliva testing. Too many people are blaming brands, and it’s most likely either 1 or 2 are the real problems.” – what is 1 or 2? I did read the link about cortisol problems and/or iron issue.

1 or 2 are these:

1) The amount that did you well on Naturethroid or WP may be a different amount with another brand. REDO YOUR FREE T3 and FREE T4 and see how you stand after being on the different brand a few weeks, because you may need to tweak. Optimal puts the free T3 toward the top along with a free T4 mid-range.
      2) Some people have developed either a cortisol problem and/or iron issue, and it’s being revealed on the different brand. Find out by doing all four iron labs and cortisol saliva testing.

• Marg

Been on NP since it first hit the market. I sang its praises, fought to stay on it when doctors told me I was hyper–uh, no, they prefer you stay hypo. So now my daughter is on NP. Also loved it. Until recently when we noticed we felt it wasn’t as potent, didn’t smell as good, and now we are both itchy. Body itching. When they first came out, I don’t recall seeing maltodextrin as an ingredient. It causes itching, and stomach pain and we avoid it. So what is going on? Is NP failing us? If we can’t take this, we are doomed.

• Carrie

I just started taking NP and called the factory to make sure that maltodextrin was no longer in it, as I am allergic to it. I was told it has been taken out and that there should no longer be any containing it available. The pharmacist also assured me that it was not listed on the box as an ingredient. I have not had the maltodextrin reaction so I feel confident that it is no longer in NP.

37. V

I would have to say that they are blowing smoke. Honestly, I am disgusted with how they have handled the situation. I was perfect on WP. Now I have to take double the Nature Throid and I can definitely verify they changed something. I used to have anaphylactic allergic reaction to NT. Now, I can take it without a problem other than incredible inconsistency from day to day. I fully expect WP to have MCT (coconut oil) removed as the shortages just *happened* when the AMA demonized coconut oil again. I don’t trust a word they say. I have checked a website for employees to anonymously report the quality of their job. Pre 2017 RLC was considered excellent. Starting in Jan/Feb of 2017 they have bad reviews and angry former or current employees. That speaks volumes. I am being treated for SAI, iron etc. In fact, 65 mg of NT is on back order AGAIN this week with no projected availability. My physician is a great doctor and my pharmacy is a great pharmacy. (Please don’t demonize all pharmacists. As with doctors, there are good ones and bad ones.) In fact, Synthroid is manufactured in Puerto Rico and there has been a shortage of synthetic thyroxine as well. This could be where the confusion comes in. And RLC Labs have done NOTHING to assure it’s clients. I am angry beyond words because I rely on NDT to live. No thyroid means death for so many unless we get our life saving medication. I have tried NP in the past when it was first out with more disastrous results. I haven’t tried it recently and it takes a good 3-6 months just to feel good again. But I am considering trying it because I no longer have any faith in RLC. Don’t ask me to be patient when I could be dead. (Thank you for letting us express our thoughts.)

Hi V. If you move over to NP, remember to do your free T3 and free T4 after a few weeks, then tweak if necessary. Though some people end up on the same amount brand-to-brand, others do not and need to tweak. NP is a good product.

38. Susan

I cannot recommend NP Thyroid (Acella) enough. I switched from Armour to NP Thyroid because the price was much better and could not believe what a superior product NP Thyroid is. Sublingual works much better for me even though I have excellent digestion. What insurance covers NDT? I have not found any insurance that does and am okay with paying cash. I’m on Medicare and refused the drug insurance because it is very expensive and does not cover NDT, and the NDT is the only thing I take that has a significant cost.

• Sandy Budzik

Just FYI I am on Medicare and have prescription drug plan that costs $25.60 a month from SilverScript. I take a lot of pills for chronic diseases so it is worth it.

• Carlo

I’ve had my best results on NP Thyroid. I’ve found the best pricing and consistent supply at WalMart. And even though I have drug coverage through work, I’ve saved more money using the the free app, GoodRX, that will not only show you the best pricing in your area for your meds but also any applicable GoodRX discount. Using GoodRX, I pay half the price versus what my work coverage charges.

39. Dee

I’m in Canada so not on Nature Throid nor WP, but have gone through the new ERFA fiasco, and have not been on any ndt for almost two years now because of intolerance to it. I’m beginning to think after reading the comments here, that the problem might be with the actual thyroid hormone itself that these companies are using for the base hormone in their products. So, could be something in the hormone itself that is circulating through the system? Could it be that cellulose has been added to the actual hormone all of these companies are using now? Will we ever get to the bottom of this?

Dee, there are actually two topics to comment on in your post. First is about your “intolerance”. That can be more about you having inadequate iron and/or a cortisol problem, which any NDT will reveal. This page explains: http://stopthethyroidmadness.com/iron-and-cortisol

As far as the actual powdered thyroid, it is odd that whenever any NDT is “changed” in any way, out come legitimate complaints due to clear changes. Doubt it’s cellulose. But who knows what is going on.

• Dee

Thanks Janie. I’ve been posting on both of your blogs about new ERFA and I’m one of those people who actually has an allergic reaction to new ERFA. I would switch back to my old (and long gone) stock of old ERFA, and would tolerate it great. The new ERFA caused all sorts of almost instantaneous allergic reactions. I go back and forth thinking it could be the hormone, itself, to the change being about different ingredients. Right – who knows? 🙁

Yes, the “new” Erfa sure has been problematic for allergic-like reactions, even as they deny that any changes were made.

• Amy Campbell

Where is the blog about ERFA, please, I was just looking into this! I thought I had found a solution. =(

40. Marilyn Y Wallace

I have been able to get Naturethroid all along between a couple pharmacies. About a month ago I became symptomatic. My son, also on it, had elevated numbers at his latest endo apt. We also see an acupuncturist that muscle tests and results are neither of us can tolerate naturethroid now. I have an one pill of the old kind and am going to take it by the acupuncturist to muscle test that one. I know what we will find, it is good. We have been on it for years with no problems. Now we are a mess. Infuriating because it takes so long to level out again. I know they messed with the fillers. Probably need to make a move to NP or armour. NP fillers are not great- mineral oil! and dextrose (probably corn).

41. ANITA

I have to agree, I believe the formula for nature thyroid has changed in some way. My labs have been unstable sense the meds have been back in production. My dose has changed from 1gr. to now 2 and my T-4 and T-3 are low while my TSH levels are normal. I wish I did not have to take this crap. I believe this is why we are all sick.

42. Carmen Badeau

I’m doing just as well on the new production of Nture-Throid. However, my dosage is 81.25 mg (or 1 1/4 grain). And I see that they aren’t releasing that dosage just yet. So I have to have two prescriptions, a 1 grain and a 1/2 grain. Then I have to split the 1/2 grain so I can get my proper dosage. It’s a pain, but I have loved Nature-Throid so much that I am will do do whatever I can to get my dosage! My weight stays consistent to my optimal weight, my energy level is good! I hope I never have to change! Maybe soon they’ll release my dosage! I hope!

43. M

This was so poorly handled I do not think I will ever go back to using their products. To suddenly have your thyroid medication that you depend on to live unavailable with no ETA does not have a word. Frustrating simply does not describe the fallout my health went through after switching to Armour. After surviving thyroid cancer, and now depending entirely on thyroid medication post thyroidectomy, this situation and how it was managed is beyond flawed.

• JANIS

Naturethroid has always worked for me. I have had doctors try add synthetic T-3 or Armour – nothing agrees with me more than the Naturethroid so when it became unavailable I had to do a lot of work to find it. I needed to be persistent. I contacted RLC Labs and they explained what was going on and gave me the names of pharmacies that still had stock (only 1 gr was available). They didn’t take insurance and I had to pay for shipping, but only one time. It started to be available in Seattle again.

44. Lisa P

Is there somewhere folks can share their experiences with taking non-prescription brands of Thyroid hormone such as ThyroGold or others? I am considering one called T150 by Xymogen which my Nurse Practitioner helped her feel better than even WP as she is highly sensitive to the fillers. Thank you.

Can tell you that patients report doing quite well on the OTC versions of NDT like Thyrogold. But an FYI; the product you are considering contains a lot of other ingredients which you’ll be raising as you raise the product to find your optimal amount. So it’s up to you. We tend to prefer those products which are JUST the desiccated thyroid.

• Lisa P

Excellent point, Janie. Thank you for pointing that out! FWIW, the T150 has probably the least of other ingredients in it. They make a separate product for mineral support for thyroid. I will consider that. And check out the NP.

45. Carolyn

The new Nature Throid did not work for me. The silver lining is that I feel better on NP that I ever felt on Nature Throid. I’ll never go back. Also, I did not appreciate feeling like a junkie trying to track down a fix when Nature Throid went off the shelves without notice or a plan by the manufacturer.

46. Betty White

I was on the 113 and doing fine. All tests was good and tsh was just a little low. I started to take the new pills, 65, 32, and quarter of the 65. Wow what a difference. I felt horrible and my tsh went from just little over to the low to a very very high tsh. I may let the Doctor try me on the 130 that is coming out for 30 days, but if it is not working than going to try the NP

47. Tammy

When my pharmacist advised me there was no Naturethroid to dispense I switched to Armour. Initially I felt ok but after 6 months all of my symptoms returned and I felt horrible. I was able to get Naturethroid this week and it’s a dramatic and immediate difference! I appreciate the explanations and their care in making a great product. And I am relieved to feel better!

48. Rachel Johnson

I went from Naturethroid to WP Thyroid then back to Naturethroid when I was unable to obtain WP anymore and my thyroid crashed in Jan on Naturethroid. I do not believe they have not changed or reformulated. What would cause my TSH to raise over 20 and my T4 to drop to .54 on the same dose through out this whole ordeal??? I have sent a sample of the old Naturethroid with the new Naturethroid to a lab for eval. This company is gambling with peoples lives.

• Sandy Budzik

I am really interested to see what lab says because I have had same problem and am gradually increasing my dosage.

49. Ellen weir

Thank you. Has the formula of naturethroid changed since they closed their facility? Has there been a before and after test. My adrenals crashed after it became available. On HC but am thinking of compounded. Went through the armour nightmare in 90’s. Ellen

50. Marilyn

This was very poorly handled. Leaving customers uninformed about a medicine on which their lives depend is beyond inconsiderate. I don’t want to trust them again. I can’t get any of the natural thyroid meds in my town, except Armour. But after their reformulation a few years back, it no longer worked for me (not to mention the obscene price increase!). Wish there were more options.

51. Dianne Long

I have been on Armour for years and returned to it when I could not obtain WP or NatureThroid.. My doctor understands that I will not use synthetics. I will check in with the manufacturer and see what happens. My pharmacy orders go through the Tricare system. There will be a copay on this (there always is), but that is nothing when I consider my health. Thank you for bringing us up-to-date!

52. Meg

Thank you so much for the update! I am fortunate to still be using my stockpile of WP. I always kept my script for the highest dose, because WP works for me. I didn’t want to get stuck with a mainstream doc who wanted me on synthroid. I am down to my last bottle, and am thrilled to hear that production is picking up! I just spoke with my pharmacist, and he was going to contact my doc about switching to naturethroid for the time being. This gives me hope that WP will be back in all it’s glory soon!

53. Dean

Want to thank you again for recommending NP Thyroid. With the passing of every week I am feeling better.

54. Cortney

They did a poor job with how this was all handled. Makes me nervous to use the company again… I am a wp thyroid gal as fillers just bother me bad and even have heart races. Palos, yukky anxiety list goes on… I tried nature thyroid n nope didn’t work… sadly do Iis what I need n o no now many of us r unhappy with the company y but have to use it..
    MY WORRY IS ONCE WP BECOMES AVAIL PPL WILL STOCK PILE IT.. I WISH for me i could use other kinds but I cant…
    This has been a extremely scary n hard time since the shortage and pray for everyone dealing with serious issued like I’m dealing with.
    I just pray nightly they get wp back on the shelves asap… seems like this has been a super loong time, and I’m afraid by time it is avail will be a year as Oct will be here before we knownit and that will be a year for me….
    Hugs to u all… let’s keep praying they get this on the market …
    Hugs n prayers to all the wp thyroid users like me who HAVE NO CHOICE, BC OF FILLERS…
    Ps. I think so jus

• Judith Auerbach

I agree with you, Cortney , that it has been handled badly and this message by them is hardly an “update”. It’s exactly the same thing they have been saying all along which gives no indication as to when WP Thyroid will become available and, like you, I have no choice because of the fillers in other products. I have been using ThyroGold in the interim, which seems to be working OK.

• Lori

How do people stockpile a prescription??? I totally agree with you on the comments about the company. I took Naturethroid for a few years. The last year I was on it I noticed a difference in the pill. I always thought it tasted peanutty and then that went away and I felt worse. Since January, I’ve been on Thyrovanz.

Some buy extra of the over the counter NDT products. Others get their prescription written earlier than they need to stockpile.

55. Kathy

This letter to me is too little too late. I’ve already switched to NP and it has made a big improvement in my health. I feel that they could’ve done a better job keeping us informed and for that I think they will continue to lose customers. I really can’t trust them.

• Amy

I, too, had to switch to NP Thyroid and am feeling fine. I didn’t really notice much difference in the two (except that I was unable to obtain Nature Throid).

• Niki

Nature throid is available through dca pharmacy. I have to get them mailed to me but at least they are available

56. Nadia

I also heard that the ingredients are not the same. Hence everyone not feeling the same.
    Please advise.

• Natalie

Since the Nature Throid is back in stock and I started taking it… They have had to up my dose. I feel like the formula has to be different. I never went off nature throid because I had enough stockpiled at home that I didn’t have to switch to anything. But as soon as getting the nature throid back in March when it became available again in the pharmacies, I have felt like crap. Went and got labs and my TSH was 30!!!! WTH. Have done nothing else different. I feel that something has to be different with the product since returning to the market. Anyone else have this issue?

• Betty White

Same here. I was horrible on the new meds. I don’t care what they say. They may have changed the fillers.

• Christine

I unfortunately don’t know what the old formula was like because I have only more recently started taking it. My first NDT was NP Thyroid but I ended up switching as I didn’t feel very good on that either and Naturethroid had more dosing options so thats what I have been trying. Naturethroid is also half the cost for me versus NP. I am waiting for my saliva results as I still don’t feel well and having awful symptoms with my stomach being upset/bloated etc. I was really hoping to try WP when it comes back but if everyone is thinking they changed the formula on Naturethroid, I wonder if the same will happen with WP. Very frustrating when you don’t feel well all the time!

• Rachelle

Same here I’ve felt terrible for months and went directly from the old supply to the new version in Dec/Jan 2017. I’ve tried raising and lowering and neither seem to help as much as they should. My TPO antibodies had consistently been in the low 100’s for several years and suddenly jumped to the upper 200’s.

I tried NP but it was causing stomach issues and nausea. I know many people love it!

I am going to talk to my doctor about adrenal and iron labs as well as hormones next week to make sure those are optimal. I am trying to be consistent with gluten free and dairy free (except some cheese) even though I rank very low on the food sensitivity scale and negative for celiac and Ana screen always negative.

I was so miserable we reduced my dose and I’m trying to stabilize but still loosing weight about 10 lbs overall in 5 months. Is this common when you are trying to stabilize levels? I am not trying to loose weight and was a healthy weight so it is concerning me a little bit.

My doctor has suggested adding several vitamins and increasing my Vitamin D from 1000 to 5000. My hydroxy Vit D was 52 in March (range of 30 – 100). What kind of supplement is best and has anyone had success with it lowering antibodies?

Overall I just can’t help but think something has changed (not sure if the change is me or the Naturethroid). I want to try WP when they start making it again. For right now I’m thinking of adding compounded t4 and T3 to try to balance things out! I just want to feel better….so tired of feeling bad all the time!

Do not do blood for cortisol, as your doctor will try. It’s about this: http://stopthethyroidmadness.com/saliva-testing There’s a link on that page to order one.

Also four iron labs.

• Rachelle

Thanks I’ve just ordered the saliva testing! For hormones is blood or saliva best?

Blood has proven to be fine for everything BUT cortisol. And when you get the saliva results back, don’t go by what they say. Go by this page: http://stopthethyroidmadness.com/lab-values 🙂

• Marg

NP now adds maltodextrin among other fillers. They sneaked it past us, the ones who took it when it first came out. My symptoms began about 6 months ago, just like old Armour. Did some fast checking, and the FDA lists the ingredients. Whereas, the patient information sheet with NP says nothing, nor does their website. They used to proudly say that they were natural. Something bad is happening to all the dessicated. Free-dried porcine? More fillers that cause allergic reactions. I was the last person to turn my back on NP. This is a nightmare as I need it to live, as I no longer have a thyroid

Marg, many many people are still doing wonderful on NDT. So no, nothing bad is happening to all the desiccated. Sure, some may have allergic reactions to the fillers, or they were never optimal, and are now having problems due to that or having an adrenal or iron problem from not being optimal. But others are doing very well on it.

• Sandy Budzik

I have experienced the same problem since new one came out. I have been slowly raising my dosage 1/4 of 48.75 at a time. Have raised twice now and things are getting a lot better–will probably raise another 1/4 and then go for labs.

• Crissy

I have been on nature thyroid for about 5years now. I have not had any problems till my last batch. My TSH is .031 Wow what happen? I feel bloated..constipated…and hair fall. This is terrible. I used to like this nature thyroid but now I’m not sure what to do!

• Marg

They are adding more fillers and using freeze-dried porcine. The exact same thing happened with me on NP Thyroid, higher TSH, feeling bad. It’s ALL of the porcine. It’s a way for the FDA to get us to big pharma.

Marge, NDT is dried pig thyroid in a powder form i.e. “desiccated”. And no, it’s not “all” of the pig. It’s just the thyroid.