Janie’s Favorite Products
I finally got around to updating this page with a continuation of my FAVORITE products below. This page is divided into three parts–SEE BELOW. You can click on the linked product to see each one AND YES, I’m ALWAYS ADDING NEW PRODUCTS I discover and use. So check back occasionally. ~Janie, hypothyroid patient and site creator
These are not meant to go against your doctor’s recommendations or what you feel is right or wrong for you! 🙂 You accept full responsibility for your decisions. As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases–helps pay for my supplements, foods, etc. No, what Amazon gives to me is not added to what you purchase.
Kind regards, ~Janie A. Bowthorpe
PART ONE: Actual food-related items I use & love.
PART TWO: Health-related items I actually use.
PART THREE: Just for fun or useful stuff I LOVE–
could also be gifts for others:
PART ONE: FOOD RELATED ITEMS I USE AND LOVE
- ORGANIC LEMON JUICE POWDER: I hate it when I run out of real lemons. So I found this Lemon Juice Powder!! As long as you don’t add too much water to a separated amount of the powder in a glass or bowl, it really does taste like I added real lemon juice for lemonade. For lemonade, I also had either stevia or Monk Fruit powder (those without sugar alcohol), plus a little vanilla and a dash of salt.
- MONK FRUIT POWDER–clean: Finally I found a great sweetener where the manufacturer did NOT add the crappy sugar alcohol. It’s good.
- FROM FRANCE: (No gluten reactions) ORGANIC ALL PURPOSE WHEAT FLOUR. Hashi’s patients have reported that they get NO REACTION to this flour from France!! Neither do I. I can make no promises, but so far, reports are good.
- ORGANIC CHICKPEA SHELLS Gluten Free from Whole Foods Market. One of the better-rated gluten free pasta which I put in soups, for one.
- FISHER’S WALNUTS: I like the BIG bag that I can take out a smaller amount, put in a smaller bag, and freeze the rest. Walnuts are high in OMEGA 3, which is good for brain health, too!!
- Like the thin chocolate squares?? This company makes candies which are FREE from the crappy sugar alcohol, and low in carbs when you subtract the fiber, plus gluten free. I really appreciate this company. CHOC ZERO CHOCOLATE CARAMEL FILLED SQUARES
- And these are Chocolate Orange Squares, which I break up and add to chopped walnuts for a snack: CHOC ZERO CHOCOLATE ORANGE FILLED SQUARES
- Same company with CHOC ZERO SEA SALT CARAMELS, individually wrapped (no sugar, low carb, taste great, same as above.)
- My favorite Avocado oil, and the price is for two: CHOSENFOODS 100% PURE AVOCADO OIL (and you don’t need organic as the avocado skin keeps pesticides out! Jus wash before cutting it open if you are concerned!
- My favorite moist DRIED CRANBERRIES from Oregon, USA, sweetened with UNSWEETENED APPLE JUICE!! I mix these with walnuts and broken up Choc Zero squares, above. I lightly salt the mixture. YUM.
- KING ARTHUR, MEASURE by MEASURE GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR I love this wonderful company so keep this on hand for certain baking.
PART TWO: HEALTH RELATED ITEMS I USE AND LOVE
- Garden of Life High Potency Raw Zinc and Vitamin C I got this becuz Zinc is such an important supplement for your immune function to work well, so I found excellent ratings for this one. Click on the link and LOOK AT THE RATINGS!!
- Garden of Life B Complex!!–did you know that chronic stress can tank some of your B’s? That’s why I started using this. And still good reviews.
- Dr. Whitaker Berberine Supplement | 1,500mg Per Daily Serving | 30 Day Supply. This was highly rated from people and website’s I respect. I have insulin resistance from years of eating too much sugar and thus, this is important for me.
- GABA (NOT gabapentin) is a supplement known to be calming. I keep it by my bed and take at bedtime. I have a strong mutation that lowers my GABA, and I don’t want that. I also use this GABA tablet that dissolves in my mouth.
- Glutathione is important to me!! And the reduced version neutralizes free radicals. It fights cognitive decline, detoxes, can help with insulin resistance, can contribute to reducing inflammation, and is good as you age. But it might lower zinc, so I take zinc, too
PART THREE: FUN or INTERESTING ITEMS I REALLY USE
- UNIBALL PENS, which prevent check washing and rewriting by scammers. Occasionally, I pay someone with a check. But it can be a problem. Thieves can WASH your check, then rewrite on it and get cash for what they wrote. How to get around that? THESE PENS. They don’t wash off.
THIS PAGE IS WORK IN PROGRESS in November 2023
1) BATH BOMBS: If you like to soak in a tub for relaxation, these bath bombs are really nice and have high reviews. I’m big on reviews.
2) SHOWER STEAMERS: these shower steamers are really fun, last a little longer than others. You place one, unwrapped, where the shower hits and they release a nice fragrance like aromatherapy. Sometimes it helps to have a second ready to put under the water when the first one goes fast.
3) KITCHEN BAGGIE ORGANIZER: I was impressed with these baggie organizers and actually am hoping to get this as a gift from a family member. This costs less than others, too.
4) WATERPROOF EYELINER: So many eyeliners are “water resistant” which is not the same as waterproof. And I need the latter for my lower eyelashes. This waterproof eyeliner has been ideal for me. Maybe it will be for you! BUT ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN and for my upper see-through, blonde eyelashes, I use a more non-toxic liner.
5) VANILLA: Because I’m a baker, I am familiar with different kinds of vanilla, and I have found my all time favorite: Mexican Vanilla Totonac’s Pure Vanilla Flavoring, 33.2 Fluid Ounce It’s a lot of vanilla, so I pour some into a smaller glass pouring jar! (I used to have another EXCELLENT ONE you can look at, too, but the latter is far cheaper and for more: Blue Cattle Truck Mexican Vanilla.
6) PLUG IN FLASHLIGHTS: if my electricity goes off when it’s dark, these plug in flashlights turn on (if the switch is on), which means I won’t be in the dark trying to get through the house. And there are three!! I love having these!!
7) COLORED PENCIL HOLDER: I’m an artist and use this colored pencil holder and love it. Different designs to choose from. And here are the 60 good quality pencils I use for the serious artist, or just because you value quality. I recently ended up with 120 pencils.
8) A HEALTHY CAT FOOD: I’m a cat fan. My first litty came to me when I was 4 years old, and I’ve never changed my love for them. And this is cat food in a packet that was newer to me, and my cats love them.
9) WOOD CABINET RADIO. I like having a radio in my kitchen. And I LOVE the sound quality of this one, which is FAR better than a previous one I had. The sound of this simple to use cabinet radio is fabulous and it looks vintage!! I highly recommend it. It’s not cheap but it’s worth every penny to me! And remember: it’s simple.
10) VINTAGE METAL TABLE CLOCK I got this shabby chic table clock for one of my rooms that has a lot of old, antique family photos on the wall. So this fit really nice!! And I got the jadeite green color.
11) SKIN PRODUCTS: NEWER TO THIS PAGE: I started using this MAD HIPPIE vitamin C serum and HUGELY like it. I then discovered this MAD HIPPIE facial oil and LOVE it, too, for before bed.
The is a very cool, made in France, lotion, called L’Occitan, also called Butter Hand Cream. Comes in 1 ounce or 5 ounces. “Enriched with 20% organic Shea Butter, penetrates quickly to protect, nourish and moisturize hands. Honey, almond extracts and coconut oil are blended with Shea Butter to create this extremely effective formula. I love these kind of hand creams.
PART TWO: MOST OF THE BELOW CAN BE RELATED TO OUR HEALTH AND WELL-BEING AS THYROID PATIENTS
Glutathione is a MAJOR antioxidant produced naturally in your body. It’s stated to prevent “damage to important cellular components caused by reactive oxygen species such as free radicals, peroxides, lipid peroxides, and heavy metals”. Glutathione can tank if you are detoxing toxins, mold, metals, or candida (mine was tanked due to a mold and high copper detox). Here’s a glutathione product I have used before as a liquid in a gel cap.
But for a good straight liquid, I have recently turned to this version! Glutathione can also fall as you age, not just if you are detoxing!
STEVIA (to counter the influence of my sugar-loving dad’s side of the family, and to help you if poorly treated Hashi’s or hypo has caused weight gain)
NEWER TO THIS PAGE: I am NOT a fan of added sugar alcohols to my stevia, which many companies deceitfully do while mentioning stevia as if that’s all it is, yet a form of sugar alcohol is the FIRST ingredient. Not impressed at all. So when I find a stevia without the nasty sugar alcohols, I’m a customer. This is one.
I tend to be a go-getter with high adrenaline due to certain mutations. So Theanine Serene Supplement With Relora, two tablets, is what I’ve taken before. But lately, GABA has been a hugely important calming supplement for me, as I have mutations which keep my GABA too low. I now use instant dissolve GABA tablets that I like a LOT. And these ONLY use stevia extract, which I prefer over the addition of crap sweeteners.
There are two curcumin products I’ve always used: 1) Doctor’s Best Curcumin as a Meriva variety–the Meriva helps absorption. 2) I’ve also used this large bottle of a super absorbable version. Note that curcumin lowers iron, so I take 50 or 100 mg elemental iron with it–the one below.
BUT WAIT!! I found a delayed release formula for curcumin. I find this important to use if something is chronically driving up my inflammation, and I use it morning and evening.
I also drink hot GINGER TEA, using 2 teabags for the strength. This is certified organic and non-GMO. Ginger is well-known as an anti-inflammatory. And I take enough supplements that I don’t want to add ginger capsules in my regimine. So this is perfect. I know there are also ginger teabags with curcumin in them, but I LOVE this one.
SERUM IRON FOR LOW IRON (NOT ferritin–you treat serum iron)
- I use iron bisglycinate: Solgar – Gentle Iron, 25 MG, 180 Vegetable Capsules“–a non-constipating version of iron and the 25 mg of each tablet represents the elemental iron. I love it. Note: most of us have to take 150-200 mg daily, divided into three doses, to get low iron up the best.
- Because my TIBC is always low (in the 200’s somewhere), I take Jarrow Formulas Lactoferrin 250mg, 60 Caps to help envelope iron and carry it around when I’m taking iron supplementation. Important if TIBC is low/in the 200’s, as mine always is no matter what!
- Vitamin C taken with iron supplementation helps that iron absorb even better/faster. Used to take me 8 weeks, but with that vitamin C, it only takes 5-6 weeks. I like this one a lot, or this one. And there’s nothing wrong with ascorbic acid, contrary to all the strong opinions out there. I personally take 1000-2000 mg of C each time I take iron. Another Vitamin C I like is this one.
NEWER TO THIS PAGE: This my favorite way to get potassium—it’s Vita Coco Coconut Water, Pure Organic . And get this—I don’t even like coconut. But I DO love this coconut water!! And you get 646mg of potassium per container! Watch the labels in case they make some containers larger than others.
DIGESTIVE ENZYMES–they can be needed for us
As the body ages, so does the release of digestive enzymes. And we need those enzymes to break nutrients down for use. One enzymes product I started using is Dr. Amy Myers Digestive Enzymes. But lately, I have moved to this one: Vital Nutrients – Pancreatic Enzymes Supplement (Full Strength). The latter is NEWER TO THIS PAGE.
I watched someone I knew get a TERRIBLE case of bacterial pneumonia. So I knew I’d want to be prepared for something like that AHEAD of time, or right at the onset. So this is what I keep on hand: Warrior – Organic Immune System Support It’s got what we need to counter bacteria and viruses: Cayenne, Garlic, Oregano, Ginger, Clove, Echinacea, Olive Leaf, and Elderberry. I know for a fact that the garlic and oregano kill bacteria, as I once used them when I had SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth).
I want my eyesight to last well for years and years–good grief, I have to use my eyes to continually update the STTM website as patients continue to learn. So I was impressed with this Pure Encapsulations – Lutein/Zeaxanthin formula and the reviews are excellent…I take one daily. So in spite of the price, it will last FOUR months. Another I head about is this, and the reviews are FANTASTIC: Macushield. See for yourself. So I take Macushield twice a day, and add in the former.
There have been plenty of research that points to patients having less severe viruses (like COVID-19) if their Vitamin D is quite optimal. So I am currently using this one. It’s 2000 mg D per drop with Vitamin K, which is convenient to have that much in one drop. I take 5 drops/10,000 IUs if my D drops.
THEN I found this and it’s TOP NOTCH: Beta Glucan 1,3 D. Research implies it an immune system modulator, which should mean it won’t increase one’s antibodies/autoimmunity.
I LOVE this one, as the capsules are TINY, which I appreciate: Bio Schwartz Magnesium Bisglycinate
My B12 doesn’t do a good job of breaking down for use, and my fingers will occasionally fall asleep easy. So my favorite are the TASTY lozenges: Seeking Health combo of Hydroxy and Adenosyl. I take far more than is stated.
If I didn’t have a methylation problem, I like these:
Jarrow Formulas Methylcobalamin (Methyl B12) Lozenges. I still use them occasionally here or there between using the former Seeking Health variet.
SUPER NUTRIENT — Anti-cancer, anti-inflammation, and more.
Astaxanthin is cool to me—it’s stated to be anti-cancer, a powerful antioxidant that also helps fight all sorts of heart issues, boosts the immune system, helps lower blood sugar levels, counters inflammation…etc etc. I stick with the recommended 12mg–here’s one I’ve used, which covers 120 days rather than the 60 days you often see. Astaxanthin is even stated to be 550 times stronger than vitamin E in it’s positive effects, & 6,000 times better than vitamin C!
FOR MEMORY, BRAIN HEALTH, DEMENTIA, etc
What I read about Serrapeptase blew me away—has helped people clear plaque in arteries, thus it IMPROVED dementia!! So I started taking it. But… it’s also a powerful biofilm buster for candida, and I did have candida when I started this, and the die off was powerful, so I moved down to 40,000. Here’s info so you can be informed.
NEWER TO THIS PAGE: And DHA/EPA OMEGA 3 helps memory and sharpness. I definitely noticed it! I take 3000 mg a day. And it’s by Nordic Naturals, whom I tend to trust for a quality fish oil. If the latter one is out of stock, I use this DHA/EPA. And in this long but INFORMATIVE interview, you can learn more from Dr. Rhonda Patrick about DHA and omega 3. Anyone with Alzheimer’s or demential in their recent ancestry might want to consider this.
MITO ENERGY, and IMPORTANT AS BODY AGES
I am sold on taking CoQ10 which boosts mitochondrial energy–and coq10 falls as the body ages. Daily, I take both CoQ10 ubiquinone 600mg, 60 Softgels ubiquinone on the LEFT (fully oxidized) and CoQ10 ubiquinol 200 mg on the RIGHT (that which is broken down from the former)
STOMACH ACID IMPROVEMENT
I sometimes wonder if my stomach acid levels are lower as my body as gotten older, so I now take this Doctor’s Best Betaine HCI Pepsin and Gentian Bitters with meals–has betaine, Pepsin AND bitters and 360 caps!! Other times I’m using lemon juice in water first thing in the morning.
FOR BLOOD SUGAR CONTROL (and counters CANDIDA)
Sometimes I do consume carbs or sugar, so I make sure to take this Berberine to make my insulin more effective. It’s stated that Berberine is equal to Metformin!! It also helps counter candida.
Yes! I use Milliard Baking Soda as an underarm deodorant and IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM. I started with a low amount to get my underarm used to the sodium, then built up to what I can sprinkle generously on my fingers (and over the sink!). No additives, either. I pour it from the bag into a vintage large salt shaker.***I learned the hard way that if I take a shower at night, to wait until morning to apply to prevent burns from sleeping with arms down for several hours.
I use the weakest estrogen called Emerita Estriol since I am in meno, and I also HAVE to use DIM (Diindolylmethane) Plus BioPerine, as I tend to get estrogen dominant if I don’t. Then comes progesterone…
I prefer NOT to have sugar in my dried fruits which I mix with seeds as a snack. These are No Sugar Added Dried Tart Montmorency Cherries (1 lb.) by Country Spoon (very low on the glycemic scale for fruits) and again, NO SUGAR!! Warning: don’t do what I did and ate WAYYYYY too much in one day—handfuls with seeds three different times in a day. Overeating cherries can give you the runs. lol.
NEW TO THIS PAGE: Unsweetened Dried Blueberries. Though I keep real berries frozen in my freezer, there are just times it’s nice to have dried blueberries. These are kosher, no sugar added, non-GMO, and ONE POUND and tasty. I love them. There is a package in my refrigerator door right now as I’m writing this, though they may be fine in your kitchen cabinet since they are dried.
DRINKS–my favorite in the evenings!!
I often want something warm in the evenings in the winter especially, but without caffeine (and not tea)!! I discovered Leroux Regular Instant Chicory—I always add cream and chocolate flavored stevia! I love it. And guess what?? No caffeine, and it’s anti-inflammatory. I don’t add much to a cup of hot water. Experiment until you find the right taste for you.