Turns out from all our experiences that lab work really does have an importance in helping us find our OPTIMAL dose/amount of so many things!
**Many of these labs are also explained well in the revised STTM book. The book is in English, Spanish, German and Swedish.
LABS THAT THYROID PATIENTS HAVE REPORTED THEY NEED:
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THE SALIVA ADRENAL CORTISOL TEST MENTIONED BELOW: Save your money and get the 4-point test, NOT the 6-point. It’s very adequate, say patients.
Summary: important labs patients report on include TSH to discern hypopituitary (i.e. low TSH with a low free T3), Free T3 and Free T4, Reverse T3, BOTH thyroid antibodies to detect Hashimoto’s, four iron labs (Ferritin, % Saturation, serum iron and TIBC), 24 hour Saliva cortisol (not blood), B12 and folate, magnesium, potassium (CMP), Vitamin D3 (and D2), MTHFR gene, Thyroglobulin if thyroid cancer is suspected. Others include whatever your doctor recommends.
1) ABOUT MAGNESIUM: the RBC magnesium is said to be most accurate since it can provide an earlier indicator of a deficiency than serum/blood magnesium.
2) WHEN TO TEST the FREE’s: We just take our meds as usual one day, then do labs first thing in the morning before doing meds.
3) OTHER LABWORK: Lyme testing is recommended if you just never seem to get well–IgeneX or DNA Connexions has been recommended by cutting edge doctors. Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), Candida, etc. Direct Labs below has testing for Neurotransmitters, as well as hair testing. OAT (Organic Acids Test) is cutting edge about cellular blockages or nutrient deficiencies.
EXPLANATIONS OF THE ABOVE LABS ACCORDING TO PATIENT OBSERVATIONS:
Summary: TSH (with a low free T3) is more about hypopituitary; “Free” in front of T3 and T4 is measuring what is available for use unlike the the “total”; both anti-TPO and anti-thyroglobulin are needed, not just one; all four iron labs are needed because ferritin can be low due to high heavy metals, not just low iron; blood cortisol might discern Addison’s or Cushings, not the cortisol problems we tend to get, thus saliva is needed; b12 can go low if undiagnosed or poorly treated hypo; Magnesium, other minerals, plus D3 and D2 can go low with hypo; Remember to have them remove tourniquet when doing a blood draw for potassium; sex hormones like estrogen & progesterone tested seven days after ovulation i.e. days 10 – 20 / FSH & LH tested days 2-4 of cycle with day 3 being ideal / Testosterone, DHEA any time; MTHFR mutation plus hair testing for high heavy metals. See Direct Labs link below for hair testing.
LADIES! CLICK HERE to read an update to the above information for female sex hormones. The graphic will eventually be updated.
INTERPRETATION OF YOUR LAB RESULTS:
***After you get your results back, click HERE to read what patients have learned about interpreting lab results. It’s not about “being in the normal range”.
PLACES TO ORDER YOUR OWN TESTS–The first five are US-based. The 6th one by Medichecks BELOW is UK-based.
- The first five US facilities below are NOT in any special order. The 6th one is for UK patients.
- Self testing not allowed in these US states NY, NJ, RI, MA or MD, though Ulta has worked it out with Massachusetts
- For saliva testing anywhere else, avoid Cell Science–very strange results that did not fit symptoms; Quest–has too many “less than” results for ranges, which tell us nothing!!; Dutch testing — we don’t know exactly why, but it often gives screwy results. Genova — they are now having the erroneous “less than” ranges.
- My Med Lab has a good saliva test.
- IMPORTANT: use of any of these facilities it between you and the facility. If there are any problems, please reach out to the facility and repeatedly if necessary. Stop the Thyroid Madness LLC cannot do that for you, nor be responsible for any facility, and you agree to that.
MY MED LAB packages designed specifically for readers of Stop the Thyroid Madness – After clicking on icon to the left, see the labs on the left of page. For adrenal testing, you will be choosing ZRT saliva for cortisol–an excellent saliva test. Draws are done at any LabCorp or other draw facility around the US.
A great variety of tests–specifically for those of you who value patient experiences and wisdom. NOTE: there is no saliva test yet with Ulta because I want them to carry ZRT and NOT Quest. I will update when they do. You will also see Men’s Hormones–but please take those results to men’s groups.
DIRECT LABS designed specifically for readers of Stop the Thyroid Madness…and includes Neurotransmitter testing, hair testing for heavy metals and other good labs. Patient do not recommend their saliva testing, as they now use Quest which has the terrible “less than” ranges. IMPORTANT NOTE about using this page: you will need to use scroll down bar just to the right of the red “Add to Cart” to view all labs they offer.
TRUE HEALTH LABS offering direct lab testing since 2010, this facility has most of the STTM recommended labwork you need and want! Watch for discounts they give throughout the year, which will show up at the top of their page if there is one! You can even use code STTM to get an additional $5 off testing. You’ll see a friendly page just for labwork which patients know is key!!
PRIVATE MD LABS have no STTM-recommended page on their website like the above facilities have, and you’ll have to search, sadly, but you can order the lab work recommended above, plus any others you feel you need and/or those results you want to share with your doctor.
FOR THOSE IN THE UK:
For thyroid patients in the UK via MediChecks, use this code to get a discount: STOPTHETHYROID20 Clicking on the graphic will take you to thyroid labs…but you can look up labs like B12, Vitamin D, Iron Status Check, Sodium, Potassium, Inflammation Check (for CRP), Thyroid Monitoring RT3 (free T3, free T4, TSH and RT3), and more. Note: the saliva test they offer seems to give your result as a “less than” result for afternoon and evening. Not ideal nor easy to figure out in spite of having ranges.
***To help pay for huge hosting costs and different fees associated with maintaining a site this big for you, the above links are affiliated ones! That means they give STTM a slight amount per order to help with these fees! It does NOT raise your price.
**Have any suspicion of having thyroid cancer?
The thyroglobulin test is a tumor marker (not the antibodies test–just the thyroglobulin.) But take heart…there can be other reasons, including continued hypo, which can raise thyroglobulin, too.
http://nutripath.com.au–they will send you the tests and patients find this facility the most reliable!
1) Approach your pharmacist and ask him to order a saliva cortisol test kit from Rocky Mountain Labs in Canada. 2) TrueHealthLabs.com can ship saliva cortisol test kits to Canadians 3) MyMedLab ships saliva cortisol test kit to Canadians! But you need to use this number and tell them you saw this via STTM: 417-782-6169
1) http://www.mdd.fi/ Test kits from Genova diagnostics via MDD Terveyspalvelut 2) TrueHealthLabs.com: Europe Category
1) www.medivere.de Saliva testing and helpful facility 2) http://www.medivere.de/shop/
Alle/ Lots of tests 3) http://www.umweltmedizin.org/hormon-analyse.php 4) TrueHealthLabs.com: Europe Category
1) http://www.prohealth.nl/ (need to state if you want a midnight sample otherwise they do 3 morning samples plus noon and 6pm samples) 2) http://www.yours-healthcare.nl 3) TrueHealthLabs.com: Europe Category
stellformular/bestell.php 2) www.orthoanalytic.ch 3) TrueHealthLabs.com: Europe Category