Turns out from all our experiences that labwork (lab work) really is important in helping us. Because It’s NOT just about “how you feel”. You can feel good before you are optimal, and it backfires, sooner or later!! So it’s about being OPTIMAL with these labs, not just “in range”, which the Lab Values page explains very well.
**Many of these labs are also explained well in the revised STTM book. The book is in English, Spanish, German and Swedish.
Remember to do an internet search on what supplements or meds you should not be on before any particular labwork.
1) Free in front of T4 / T3 measure what’s available for use; totals do NOT 2) TSH along with low free T3 (not on meds) to discern hypopituitary 3) Reverse T3 (goes up due to low iron, high cortisol, inflammation) 4) Anti-TPO and TgAB, not just one 5) FOUR iron labs (Ferritin, % Saturation, serum iron & TIBC) 6) 24-hour Saliva cortisol (not blood) 7) B12 and Vit. D tend to fall with thyroid issues 8) CMP Minerals like Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium important–RBC versions give better info!! 9) Sex Hormones can go south in some with thyroid problems 10) MTHFR and other genes: Many use 23andme.com, then upload to livewello.com
OTHER LABS YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER:
11. RBC zinc, copper and ceuroplasm: We have noticed a certain body of us with too high levels of copper, and the latter is toxic to your liver, brain, mito, etc. See this page and learn!)
12. Inflammation labs This is extremely important and probably should be listed above. For most, the ferritin will show inflammation. But to be sure, there’s also CRP and ESR inflammation labs. See this page.
12. Lyme testing (recommended if you just never seem to get well–IgeneX or DNA Connexions does a good job.)
13. Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) (stress can raise this! Ask for the activated test, not whether you had past exposure)
14. Candida overgrowth (from antibiotic use, impaired immune system, etc)
15. OAT (click here: Organic Acids Test) (Reveals either cellular blockages or nutrient deficiencies)
16. Thyroglobulin (not the anti-thyroglobulin) is used by doctors if thyroid cancer is suspected.
Direct Labs below has testing for Neurotransmitters, as well as hair testing for metals.
WHEN TO TEST
We just take our meds as usual one day (not at night, though), then do labs first thing in the morning before taking our meds for that day. We DO NOT do labs after taking meds.
EXPLANATIONS OF THE ABOVE LABS ACCORDING TO PATIENT OBSERVATIONS:
Summary: TSH (with a low free T3) is more about hypopituitary; “Free” in front of T3 and T4 is measuring what is available for use unlike the the “total”; both anti-TPO and anti-thyroglobulin are needed, not just one; all four iron labs are needed because ferritin can be low due to high heavy metals, not just low iron; blood cortisol might discern Addison’s or Cushings, not the cortisol problems we tend to get, thus saliva is needed; b12 can go low if undiagnosed or poorly treated hypo; Magnesium, other minerals, plus D3 and D2 can go low with hypo; Remember to have them remove tourniquet when doing a blood draw for potassium; sex hormones like estrogen & progesterone tested seven days after ovulation i.e. days 10 – 20 / FSH & LH tested days 2-4 of cycle with day 3 being ideal / Testosterone, DHEA any time; MTHFR mutation plus hair testing for high heavy metals. See Direct Labs link below for hair testing.
INTERPRETATION OF LAB RESULTS:
PLACES TO ORDER YOUR OWN TESTS–The first four are US-based.
- The first four US facilities below are NOT in any special order. We used to have a UK facility, but things were too flaky.
- Self testing not allowed in these US states NY, NJ, RI, MA or MD, though Ulta has worked it out with Massachusetts
- PROBLEMATIC SALIVA TESTS: As new facilities create their own saliva testing, they are problematic. 1) Cell Science–-very strange results that have not fit symptoms; 2) Quest–-has too many “less than” results for ranges, which tell us nothing!!; 3) Dutch testing— we don’t know exactly why, but it often gives screwy results, 4) Genova— they are now having the erroneous “less than” ranges, which tell us nothing! 5) LabCorp--two of their ranges have the less than symbol before them–huh? .
- IMPORTANT: use of any of these facilities it between you and the facility. If there are any problems, please reach out to the facility and repeatedly if necessary. Stop the Thyroid Madness LLC cannot do that for you, nor be responsible for any facility, and you agree to that.
- The following are affiliated links which help pay for hosting costs of a website this large, for different fees associated with maintaining a large and free site for you, plus for the immense amount of unpaid time it takes to continually work on a large site like this. It does NOT raise your price.
A great variety of tests! But they do NOT have a good saliva test–it has these ridiculous “less than” goals.
- Receive 10% off Stop the Thyroid Madness Preferred Lab Tests everyday with Promo Code: ULTA41012. https://www.ultalabtests.com/
- 30 popular tests for only $12.95 each with Promotion Code: ULTA0615 https://www.ultalabtests.com/
sttm/Shop/Promotion/6030(NOTE: these 30 discounted tests include TOTAL T3 and TOTAL T4–you need the Free’s NOT the totals. Use STTM-recommended thyroid labs above instead with the red code.)
DIRECT LABS designed specifically for readers of Stop the Thyroid Madness…and includes Neurotransmitter testing, hair testing for heavy metals and other good labs. Patient do not recommend their saliva testing, as they now use Quest which has the terrible “less than” ranges. IMPORTANT NOTE about using this page: you will need to use scroll down bar just to the right of the red “Add to Cart” to view all labs they offer.
TRUE HEALTH LABS offering direct lab testing since 2010, this facility has most of the STTM recommended labwork you need and want! Watch for discounts they give throughout the year, which will show up at the top of their page if there is one! You can even use code STTM to get an additional $5 off testing. You’ll see a friendly page just for labwork which patients know is key!!
PRIVATE MD LABS have no STTM-recommended page on their website like the above facilities have, and you’ll have to search, sadly, but you can order the lab work recommended above, plus any others you feel you need and/or those results you want to share with your doctor.
**Have any suspicion of having thyroid cancer?
The thyroglobulin test is a tumor marker (not the antibodies test–just the thyroglobulin.) But take heart…there can be other reasons, including continued hypo, which can raise thyroglobulin, too.
AUSTRALIA: http://nutripath.com.au–they will send you the tests and patients find this facility the most reliable!
CANADA: 1) Approach your pharmacist and ask him to order a saliva cortisol test kit from Rocky Mountain Labs in Canada. 2) TrueHealthLabs.com can ship saliva cortisol test kits to Canadians 3) MyMedLab ships saliva cortisol test kit to Canadians! But you need to use this number and tell them you saw this via STTM: 417-782-6169
GERMANY: 1) www.medivere.de Saliva testing and helpful facility 2) http://www.medivere.de/shop/
NETHERLANDS: 1) http://www.prohealth.nl/ (need to state if you want a midnight sample otherwise they do 3 morning samples plus noon and 6pm samples) 2) http://www.yours-healthcare.nl 3) TrueHealthLabs.com: Europe Category
UNITED KINGDOM: These three have either a Genova Saliva test (no range for bedtime, which is sad) or one that gives odd results–regeneuslabs, which is often not recommended. https://purehealthshop.ecwid.com; http://www.smartnutrition.co.uk/; http://www.regeneruslabs.com/shop TrueHealthLabs.com: Europe Category