Janie Bowthorpe is back.

Note: if you signed up to receive these blogs post in an email, they links won’t be live. They are only live right on the blog post, plus being on the actual blog is where you can post a comment. https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/blog
*****************************************
Hello my thyroid friends. If you’ve noticed (or not), my last blog post was 11 months ago from when I am writing this. So many of you have been posting on previous posts for help. I’ve tried my best to continue giving patient-to-patient information to you.

The reason I’ve been gone so long? I was a caretaker all last year, especially as things got worse and were going downhill, then sadly experienced the grievous passing of someone deeply loved and highly significant to me. And loss and grief of that dimension is not for the faint of heart. It’s challenging. It can be a nightmare. And with deep grief can come the need to have an important break from what one was doing before, like writing blog posts and more.

All the latter even aged me terribly. But I call the aging and extra facial and neck wrinkles I now have my “battle scars out of love”.

I can’t say I’m totally ready to be back. Grief doesn’t end when you lose someone that significant to your life. You just learn to live “alongside it” to some degree. But I had such a memorable experience this morning that I decided to start again…to some degree.

***Please don’t reply to this by asking me “who passed away.” I don’t want to talk about this publicly. It’s too close to my heart. But you are welcome to offer condolences. They will mean a lot to me.

But I do want to tell you what happened this morning, as it will apply to any of you.

If you didn’t know, still being hypothyroid has many symptoms. The best list on the internet is this one.
I say the best not to criticize other lists. I say it because this list is not only based on 20 years of reported patient experiences and observations, it doesn’t include symptoms which are more related to adrenals in order to puff the list up.

And one symptom is the inability to conceive. l didn’t have this problem. But some women do when they are still hypothyroid, either from not being diagnosed, or being treated poorly on T4-only, or underdosed even with T3 in their treatment.

Here’s more specifically what I want to tell you…

I was at a restaurant eating my breakfast this morning, but it’s actually a brunch. I eat my “breakfast”

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is foods.jpeg

around 1pm. Why? Because I’m doing intermittent fasting from approximately 9pm the night before (occasionally I start at 10 pm, but mostly the 9pm) until about 1pm the next day. I do this to keep my insulin levels down (I have a touch of insulin resistance I want to fight against). It’s also anti-dementia, anti-Alzheimer’s to do it. Plus doing it keeps my weight down beautifully. It’s not hard for me to do, as I get my energy from fat when fasting. I don’t even notice it much.

The waitress walked up to me. She said “I remember you from a few years ago!” with a smile on her face.

I asked how?? She said that she had waited on me before, and that I was the reason she had been able to turn her inability around to have more children around! She now has three sons instead of the one when I met her.

I had apparently found out she was on Synthroid, told her about Stop the Thyroid Madness, about a better way to treat hypothyroidism and all related no matter the cause. She has now been on Armour instead of the Synthroid she used to be on—the latter which prevented her from getting pregnant again. She was now doing fabulously. She showed me a photo her now three darling sons, all thanks to throwing Synthroid to the wind and now having T3 in her treatment.

She also underscored that she has been using her new STTM knowledge to guide her doctor, who is willing to listen. That is the kind of doctor we all have to work to find. I’ve done it. I know that those of you in the UK, as one example, have it hard, though.

But it’s also important to know that anyone reading this can do fabulously with T4 and T3, or with T3-only if there is an RT3 problem to treat. You just need to READ this: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal. And I don’t mean skim the latter page. Read it all.

Important notes: All the information on this website is copyrighted. STTM is an information-only site based on what many patients worldwide have reported in their treatment and wisdom over the years. This is not to be taken as personal medical advice, nor to replace a relationship with your doctor. By reading this information-only website, you take full responsibility for what you choose to do with this website's information or outcomes. See the Disclaimer and Terms of Use.

Write a new comment below

94 Responses to “Janie Bowthorpe is back.”

1. melannie

Hi Janie,
    I interested to know more about the intermittent fasting. Given how taxing it is on adrenals, i’m curious about it’s safe uses. If you have more info to share or resources you could point me to that would be great!

Melannie

Hi. You stated “given how taxing it is on the adrenals”—according to whom?? I’m betting you read that opinion somewhere on the internet. And we all tend to read something on the internet, or hear it stated firmly by someone in a group, and get fooled by the black and white aspect of it. It’s like that time a year ago that a particular someone exclaimed in black and white emphasis that NO NDT’S WORK. Yet, numerous people were still doing well on Armour with labs to prove it when that was yelled…and that is still the fact today if someone understands what an “optimal” free T3 and free T4 mean (by reading the article on optimal, which too many don’t), and having a low or below range RT3, plus good cortisol levels.

I for one, have never, ever had fasting cause my adrenals to be taxed by it. I’ve even done it when I was stressed and it didn’t make my adrenals worse.

Now there is the possibility that someone with low cortisol could have noticed a problem when they did it. Yet others have reported doing it with low cortisol and they have reported no issue!! Opposites!! So we have to consider “individuality”. The statement that it’s “taxing on the adrenals” is too global when you read experience with intermittent fasting.

Even Dr. Berg believes that fasting helps the adrenals, even with a cortisol problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EctvVSwWSQ The answer may be to make sure you eat a good meal before the time you start into fasting. Plus to go SLOWLY in the amount of time you do intermittent fasting. I went slowly went I started, meaning I did NOT go until noon or 1pm before eating again. I built up to that. So being gradual in the time one does the fasting may be a good answer.

2. Tea

Janie, “grief is love with nowhere to go”…. I’m sorry for your loss. I know it all too well. Thank you for the strength, wisdom and knowledge you give to so many including me 🙂

3. Lorie

Hey, me again.
    Have you tried CoQ10? It is good for insulin control. It’s also good for the liver and kidneys as well as the heart. And it’s good for energy as it feeds the mitochondria and it helps with brain fog. It’s safe even in high doses. Though too much can upset your stomach or make you feel jittery. But that’s and easy fix. Find a low dose bottle (30mg) and start with that and increase until you find the optimal dose for whatever you’re taking it for. Adrenal people may find higher doses may cause crashes.

4. Heather Green

Hi Janie. Welcome back and so sorry for your loss! I was wondering if you had heard accounts of those on T3 monotherapy for several years that, when they tried to incorporate a natural dessicated thyroid, their FT4 numbers did not come up by very much (e.g .4 to .46). This was after 2.5 months of decreasing the T3 and adding Ancestral Thyroid. FT3 was also very suboptimal in labs after this switch. Perhaps the supplement is just not enough in this scenario? Thoughts appreciated.

Hi Heather. T4 won’t come up much on desiccated thyroid if someone is underdosing. Same with Free T3.

And ancestral is cow-sourced, so no telling what it will do when batches are not regulated.

5. Shelly Paige

Janie, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad last September and I am still struggling to get back to my routine. Take your time to grieve and go at your own pace.

Would you give an update on what NDT’s are still considered “working”? Is Armour still the best NDT option, at this point?

We are in a state where it varies. Some state they are still doing quite well on Armour; others feel it’s not working. But the “not working” appears to be a single batch issue here or there more than a widespread issue.

6. Diane Blair

Hi Jamie I was wondering if NP THYROID is messed up again I have looked everywhere to see if there is a new recall but only see lawyers. I had a great Dr but we moved my new Dr is willing to do whatever for me but…. I have gained almost 49 pounds in 3 months or less as I set here I am freezing and it’s 90 plus outside. My THS is creeping up a little the same old story cant sleep, losing what hair is left on and on. I am 69 and on 60 three times each day. Oh yeah, i have had a very high ferritin level but coming down a little.

7. John Brown

I came across this Blog in my search for some answers to my health problems. If there is someone that may have some direction to point me, that would be appreciated. I suffer from almost all of the symptoms of hypo thyroid but I am a man and so I cannot get a Dr in my area to look into my thyroid as something that could be what is causing the problem. I had some blood work done and because my TSH was normal my Dr said my thyroid was fine, however, both my FreeT3 and TotalT3 were high and my T4 was normal. Maybe my Dr is right but I have thought something is off for years and because I am a guy and I have been told men don’t normally have thyroid problems I have wandered down the hopeless trail.

8. Gianluca

I’m glad you are back, and sorry for your loss.

In the updated version of the book, you give a few examples of HC dosing, with the first dose taken first thing in the AM, should i take that immediately upon rising with my NDT or later with breakfast, which is generally at least an hour later or more

thanks

9. mark olinyk

Hello… Sorry for your loss.. Do u know or anyone know what NDT can be be bought without a script that actually works? I tried the Thailand thyroid s and found it didnt do much .. I have tried nature-throid and felt it was doing something.

Some differences can be due to different fillers, we suspect, somehow slowing down absorption. So with thyroid-s, which before had quite a lot of fillers, one might need slightly more to achieve the same good results as an American-made product before something went wrong with it. Also, be sure to have fully read this: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal

10. Monique

Hi Janie, so sorry to hear about your loss. It’s inspiring to hear how you took time out to take care of yourself, grieve and heal. And we appreciate you coming back to support our community as well.

I have a question about being on T3 only which is the only dosage that works for me with the least side effects (I’m on 85 mcg currently). Both my endo and general MD have said that to get pregnant and stay pregnant I would need to add T4 to my meds. Preferably before I get pregnant. Do you have any experience with women on T3 only and pregnancy? I’m not ready to get pregnant just yet but when the time comes I’d like to be prepared. Any advice you have from experience would be helpful!

Hi Monique. All I can say to you, as someone who has been listening to and collecting patient reported experiences and observations for 20 years, it’s never been about just “having T4 in our treatment”. Yes, some do have T4 in their treatment, but some don’t and are just on T3. And it’s been about being out of our hypothyroid state when it comes to getting pregnant. This explains what that means, and note the free T3: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal

Doctors are generally only trained about T4 in their medical schools. This is why they tend to put the emphasis on it. But we are light years ahead of them. our repeated and worldwide experiences show that what they are saying to you is the wrong focus, even if having T4 in our treatment is fine, since it can convert to T3 for us in the background. But we have learned that even more important is that T3 in our treatment, too, (or by itself) and where to get the free T3.

11. sandra

Janie,
    I am so very sorry to hear of your loss, your loved one was very blessed to have you by their side during such times and I am sending prayers of kindness to yourself, rest and recovery and in hopes you continue to look after yourself.
    Thank you for all you have done for us and bless you!

Sandra

12. Lorie

Glad to see you back. I’ve been thinking about you. I am so sorry for your loss. I was my brother’s caretaker for the last 6 months of his life, he passed in October 2017. I cherish the time I had with him, as he moved in with me so I could better take care of him, but it almost destroyed me. My adrenals were already weak and I needed to go back on higher doses of cortisone just to make it through the day of doctor’s appointments, radiation and chemo appointments, meal prep (he lost his tongue to cancer so he was tube fed, I had to blend all his meals) and wound care (he had two flap surgeries for tongue reconstruction which caused a huge wound on his abdomen and pectoralis muscle when the first flap failed), plus all his medications. I’m still struggling because the stress hasn’t gotten better, just new stresses. My husband has been out of work for almost a year now. We’ve been surviving on savings, but it’s been tough.

13. Jan Kasza

You’re the Best!

14. Linda Burns

My deepest condolences Janie, and I am so sorry for your loss. I just wanted to share how much you helped me. Approximately 13 years ago I began experiencing secondary infertility after easily conceiving and carrying 2 children. Bloodwork showed that I was ‘subclinical’ hypothyroid but no doctor was willing to treat me. But from reading your info, I trusted myself enough not to give up. Thankfully I found a Dr 1 hour away who was willing to prescribe meds, and within a short time I was pregnant.
    Your knowledge, books, website, and more have empowered me to take charge of my health, and to share my knowledge with my friends, family, and practitioners. I await the day, when I believe the medical establishment will come round and acknowledge that this is the optimal way to go, and you will deserve a lot of credit!!
    Wishing you much continued comfort and strength, Linda

15. Elle

My sincerest condolences to you . Your work has been such a blessing to me and now to my daughter and to so many others . Prayers of light , love , and peace to you and all affected by the loss of a loved one .

16. Deborah Olcott

Sending you condolences Jeannie. I am so sorry that you lost someone that you love so dearly and it sounds as if it was very hard on you and very beautiful to be by their side. Of course the grieving and recovery and healing all take time and shift. I am extremely grateful that you continue to be there for everyone struggling with thyroid challenges. You have certainly changed my life. And I am still working to get to an optimal place but you have given me so much hope (and so much information 🙂 to work with!! Thank you!!

17. Bernice Caruth

Hi Jamie
    Sending hugs and love your way. Loneliness isn’t easy but maybe all of the people you are helping here can fill that void with love. I’m so glad to see you back. Your books and website are my source of fantastic, credible thyroid information.
    When I read your first book many many times, my brain fog at that time was so bad that I could not apprehend a word. Well maybe the “the’s” and “ands.” Several years later I can now read the second book and understand it. Maybe not remember it all but can understand it.
    I found a doctor in my local community who is my partner with thyroid treatment. My first visit probably was awkward as I felt that I had some credible information to share with her. She has since been more open and willing to hear what I have to share. First visit only TSH was done. Next visit I insisted on the full panel for thyroid and iron. I keep a spread sheet with my lab results and med changes and bring it with for my visits.
    I have been on compounded T4/T3 for years, always with the T4 being higher. Recently, at my persistence, she has raised the T3 and lowered the T4. Amazing difference but still have more to do with cortisol and iodine testing again. I have other lab work every six weeks. A year or two ago she wanted to do blood cortisol and I said I would do saliva testing instead. She didn’t know much about the saliva test. My last visit she recommended the saliva test!!! A few months ago I eliminated all grains my diet, lost weight, and feel better. Now she is doing blood food sensitivity test to see where I have issues.
    I have promoted your books and website and she said “there is good information.” Gentle persistence and information can help doctors become better doctors.

Without your information I don’t know where I would be. Welcome back, Jamie. We have missed you so much.

18. Philippa Snowdon

Janie, this is important. The effects on different people after re-formulation of drugs, is the addition of MANNITOL.

(Hence the successful demonstrations in France)

For me and for many, but not all of us, the inclusion of MANNITOL as an unlisted excipient stops the medicines from being absorbed. They are no longer bio-available. Take as much as you like, it can never work.

MANNITOL needs to be listed so we save money. SThyroid from Thailand has evidently added MANNITOL to its new formulation. It was very expensive. It used to really work for me. NO MORE.

All those others. I am so sorry. Add MANNITOL and it will never work for you.

• housemaid

Phillipa, I am on Thyroid S and it has worked great for me. But the bottle I have been taking expires August 2022, meaning they were made in 2019. I have bought new bottles that expire in August 2024, meaning they were made in 2021. When did this addition of mannitol take place? I read that it acts as a diuretic and is poorly absorbed by the intestines. I guess that is why the pills don’t work. Have you tried chewing them? How do you know they contain mannitol since it is not listed as an ingredient? I am so upset as I am due to start on the new bottle in 2 weeks. None of the US brands including Armour worked for me after they all went bad, but Thyroid S did.

I cannot understand why manufacturers always have to mess with a good formulation. I have not looked at STTM in a long time, as I have been doing fine on Thyroid S. But what is the US brand that now works, if any?

19. RachelDLS

Hello Janie,

I want you to know how sorry I am for you and your loved one, and any other family and friends that are grieving. I too, just lost someone dear to my heart. It was wonderful to read your story this morning and hard at the same time. We each of us deal with grieve in separate ways, don’t we? For me, I found my music, which I had stopped doing because of my own health issues, to be a comfort, as I worked on songs for the memorial service. I am grateful that I was asked to do the music. It has brought that part of my life back into my life! I am hoping to do more of that now.

I am also so happy to hear about your waitress! It is funny, I talk to my waitresses as well, and ask them if there is anything they would like me to pray about for them. It is amazing some of the answers I have received!

I too, have to thank you for all you have done. I was quietly dying on Synthroid, even after they added Cytomel. I am now getting my Thyroid medication from a compounding pharmacy, as Armour does not work for me. I end up with a lot of joint pain when I take it. I suspect it is the corn in the Opadry White that causes it. Thankfully, my insurance reimburses me for a good part of the cost. I am so grateful to have found something that works so well! 🙂

I am so grateful to have found your site. I share the site name, with everyone I can. My doctor listens too, and even though she was reluctant to see me on Naturally Desiccated Thyroid medication at first, she has seen the improvement over the years, and now lets me run my own show in that department.

I am truly blessed!

Glad you figured that out about the corn in Opadry White. And yes, we have to run our own show when so many doctors lag far behind in knowledge and end up keeping us sick. That’s why I created a patient to patient movement I call Stop the Thyroid Madness.

For others reading this, Armour can seem to not be working because you have never achieved this: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal. Don’t skim it. Read it all. The information also applies to taking synthetic T4 with synthetic T3. Or even just T3.

20. Rosemary

Dear Janie, Condolences and thank you for being a caretaker. I’ve been there, and it is so much work and so rewarding. May your loved one Rest In Peace. This type of fasting has worked for me, but I drink coffee in the morning and then eat at 1 pm. I guess that’s not fasting. I do feel better if I start food later and I take Thyrovanz, also, late. Thanks for your post.

21. Lesli

Welcome back. So sorry for your loss. You have been a lifesaver for myself and my clients even while you were gone. Your work is irreplaceable. Go slow and know how much you mean to perfect strangers.

22. Rainbow

I’m so sorry to hear of the loss you’ve endured. I love this quote from WandaVision: “What is grief, if not love persevering?” The love never dies, but I know how difficult it is to redirect that love once the object of that love is gone.

Optimizing my autoimmune hypothyroidism did start me ovulating for the first time in my life (in my late 20s). Unfortunately, I was never able to conceive a child, but we had 10 embryos left over after IVF, and so far we’ve donated two of them to another family. It’s wonderful to watch these two genetic children grow up and be so loved, even if we’re not directly in their lives. Without your site and help, I never would have been healthy enough to even consider the rigors of IVF. So there are two more children who probably would not exist had it not been for your help 🙂

23. TRISHA

Does the pain ever go away? Maybe. Maybe not —. depending… on countless things. One cannot, I believe, limit the unlimited, or contain, the uncontainable! Still, in time, it will evolve — like it or not. But hopefully, we will evolve with it.

Upon reading these words some time ago, I found, and still FIND…. comfort herein. Somehow in one succinct sentence — it put everything into perspective and spike spike a truth to my heart and soul…. which continues to this very day, to give me comfort.

And those words: “As long as there is love, there will
    always be loss.” HOW could it be otherwise? Still, I firmly believe, that in the LOVE…. there will ALWAYS be Light!

24. Mariya

Dear Janie. Condolences to you. Grief makes us stronger. I wish you strength, health and good luck. I hope you will continue to delight us with your lyrics.

25. Robin

Condolences from N.Z.

26. Cheryl Jansen

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

27. Dorothy

My sincere condolences on your loss. It is hard to lose someone so close so please take care of you!!
    Thank you for all the great work you do to help us all.

28. Lilian

So sorry to hear of your Loss Janie. You have my very deepest sympathy.

29. Michele

Great to see you Janie! Where would any of us be without you and STTM?! Half dead I’m sure, lol … being so grateful for you, we all send you BIG HUGS and love in your difficult times.

30. Mary Lou Vanda

So so sorry for your loss. When someone hears that a friend has experienced a profound loss, they share the grief. Janie, you are a friend to all of us. They want, so bad, to take the pain away but all they can do is be there to help support. Stay strong and busy. We will pray for you.

31. Gail

Janie, So sorry to hear you lost a loved one. Thank you for your latest post. Do take your time getting back to your regular schedule. There’s so much you’ve already done for this community that we can use to get answers!

32. Dawn

Dear Janie,
    I am so, so sorry to read about your devastating loss. Please know you are not alone, as you have helped countless of us, we are here for you. Grief knows no bounds nor limits. Please allow yourself to feel whatever shows up in your body and mind, and acknowledge it’s there, and just do your best. There’s no right or wrong answer for how you respond.
    Thank you for letting us be a part of your grief. May each day become a little easier for you, as heartache turns to warm memories that will be there forever.
    I don’t see you as being aged. You look beautiful, as you always have. Your kindness radiates. That is timeless.
    We love you!!
    Dawn

33. Mary

Dear Janie, so very sorry about your dear one’s passing. Sending you blessings, prayers, and peace. Much appreciation for all you’ve done for all of us.
    Mary

34. Jeanne

Janie you are a treasure! I’d heard of your loss and sending a HUGE hug. I am taking care of my elderly mom these days and it’s sure hard to see her decline. Little things like taking care of her bills and seeing her forget how to do things she was previously able to do! Hard but rewarding.

It’s been 34 years since my RAI for Graves and I am just now getting to where I should be -on T3 only! I have learned so much from you and grieve the decades I’ve lost to improper treatment. You are indeed a treasure and blessings on your healing journey.

35. oLt

My dear Janie:
    So sorry to hear :(( May God comfort you and all morning the loss of a loved one. Please take extra good care of yourself during the healing/grieving process.

36. Stephanie Tackett

My deepest condolences on your loss. Thinking of you and wishing you strength and healing in this difficult time.

37. Cindy Zuniga

I’m so sorry for your loss. I have been a caretaker for family members that were very dear but I haven’t suffered grief to the depth you have. I do know it takes time and grief is not something you can suddenly still in a box and tuck it away. Our prayers and condolences go with you. We all appreciate all that you have done and do for us.

38. Trish

I’m so sorry for your loss. Wishing you comfort and blessings.
    Trish

39. Trisha

anie,
    If one can suffer too much loss, then I believe I may qualify. Still, I KNOW countless others have suffered way MORE than myself or what I could ever imagine! My heartfelt condolences to both you and Kristie whose first year anniversary of her son’s loss is fast approaching on June 30th. Sending you both Light and Love to Carry On!

And HERE is one of the BEST poems on the subject EVER written, for both of you, and ALL of you suffering a recent and/or wrenching loss!

CARRY ON!

It’s easy to fight when everything’s right,
    And you’re mad with the thrill and the glory;
    It’s easy to cheer when victory’s near,
    And wallow in fields that are gory.

It’s a different song when everything’s wrong,
    When you’re feeling infernally mortal;
    When it’s ten against one, and hope there is none,
    Buck up, little soldier, and chortle:

Carry on! Carry on!
    There isn’t much punch in your blow.
    You’re glaring and staring and hitting out blind;
    You’re muddy and bloody, but never you mind.
    Carry on! Carry on!
    You haven’t the ghost of a show.
    It’s looking like death, but while you’ve a breath,
    Carry on, my son! Carry on!

And so in the strife of the battle of life
    It’s easy to fight when you’re winning;
    It’s easy to slave, and starve and be brave,
    When the dawn of success is beginning.
    But the man who can meet despair and defeat
    With a cheer, there’s the man of God’s choosing;
    The man who can fight to Heaven’s own height
    Is the man who can fight when he’s losing.

Carry on! Carry on!
    Things never were looming so black.
    But show that you haven’t a cowardly streak,
    And though you’re unlucky you never are weak.
    Carry on! Carry on!
    Brace up for another attack.
    It’s looking like hell, but—you never can tell:
    Carry on, old man! Carry on!

There are some who drift out in the deserts of doubt,
    And some who in brutishness wallow;
    There are others, I know, who in piety go
    Because of a Heaven to follow.
    But to labour with zest, and to give of your best,
    For the sweetness and joy of the giving;
    To help folks along with a hand and a song;
    Why, there’s the real sunshine of living.

Carry on! Carry on!
    Fight the good fight and true;
    Believe in your mission, greet life with a cheer;
    There’s big work to do, and that’s why you are here.
    Carry on! Carry on!
    Let the world be the better for you;
    And at last when you die, let this be your cry:
    Carry on, my soul! Carry on!

— Robert Service

40. AD

Sending you well wishes, Janie. Grief fundamentally changes who we are…I think of the process like going into a cocoon for a while and coming out a more beautiful person. Lost my father two years ago after doing some caregiving for him, then had to close his estate…navigating that world as a single 30-year-old was truly something. Be patient with yourself…your special person will visit you in unexpected ways. That being said, congratulations on 20 years of STTM website! While I don’t personally have thyroid issues, the site and forum is an awesome resource as an integrative heath practitioner.

41. Katherine Hughes

Dearest Janie,
    Thank God you are ‘feeling better’. !! 🙂 I don’t think grief ever leaves us completely, but I am thankful that the time has come for you to ‘surface’ a bit more. Thank you again and again from so many of us who owe the recovery we have to you and your dedication.

42. Carolyn Hutchins

I was so sorry to read of your loss, Janie. It’s always devastating to lose someone who has been a huge part of our lives. It leaves us drifting anchorless for what feels like eternity. I hope you’re beginning to forge a new path now and finding a little peace in knowing that you will always have your memories.

43. Suki Singh

Hello Janie,

Please accept my condolences for your loss. It’s very hard and hopefully over time the pain will get less. Just remember that you have all this virtual family here for support as you have helped so many people overcome issues with thyroid. So thank you for your help and keep the chin up even in this hard time .. god bless

44. Kristie Mulreed Blank

I am so very sorry for your loss, Janie. Grief can be a very lonely journey. I know this all too well. I lost my older son suddenly and unexpectedly on 6/30/21. My family acts differently and my friends disappeared. They’re uncomfortable and don’t know what to say to me. I hope that you have loving support, as this grief journey is truly brutal. Please know that I am sending love, hugs and prayers for comfort and peace to heal your hurting heart.

You said it well. Loss and grief is a lonely and brutal journey that we all have to travel if we do lose someone significant. And I am so very sorry for your own loss. Yes, people do disappear. And their discomfort is palpable. And many are just plain silent. It’s brutal.

45. Adela

Janie,
    Grief is so hard to move through, a crushing force, but then as you say, you begin to live alongside it. What I have found (I’ve had several huge losses) is that with time the grief is softer, comes inside, becomes the lost one we love living inside us. Accompanying us. And makes us wider and fuller.
    Thank you for your story, and thank you for your book that has guided me into much better health. Adela

46. Jeannie Crockett

What a wonderful story. I am so glad she spoke to you and shared how you helped her.

Grief is so shattering…I am glad you are seeing some glimpses of light. Are you still getting out in the sunlight first thing in the morning?

Thank you for all you have done and will continue to do.

47. Bev

So sorry you lost someone important in your life. It’s not easy as you have now found out. I wish you well with your grieving process and please remember, there s no timeline. It’s hard work and you will get through it. All I can offer is a hug!

Yes, that there is no timeline is something a body of people don’t understand. This is a lifetime of dealing with it on this physical plane, even if you get a little better. The actress Betty White knew this.

48. Alison

I’m so very sorry for your loss! Caregiving is deeply personal, loving, and will take all you have and more. I’m glad you’ve taken time for your own healing.

49. Frances

I have many of the hypo symptoms and my FT3 is low and is not optimal but just in range. Do I need a T3 treatment?
    Thanks.

50. Betty Downs

Janie, my heart felt condolences, can’t imagine the pain of such a loss. I found your page here right after a heart valve replacement & the Dr wanted me back on synthroid. I happened onto your Facebook page & my life has actually changed for the good. At 77 on Armour & T3 I’m able to do so many things I enjoy doing. A big thank you Janie.

51. Jean Humphrey

What a lovely story! I think of all of the people you’ve helped that you don’t even know about. I’m one of them. At 76, I’ve been on NDT for 15+ years and I’m doing well. I wish you wonderful memories of your loved one as you “live alongside” your grief.

I’m so glad you told me that you are doing well on NDT for 15 years.

I’m only 8 months out from losing someone so dear to me. It’s still not easy. But there is music that reminds me of him that makes me smile. 🙂

• Lucy

Janie I actually found you because a clerk at my medical marijuana store told me about you. In two weeks time of finding you I have found answers for my symptoms have fired endo going to naturopath who mentioned your website in a podcast this week. I am so grateful for you and send you love and comfort for your loss. Thank you so much and may you feel your loved one with you supporting you in your legacy and love

52. Linda Siller

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept my condolences.
    Janie, I found you in 2009. My first child was born hypothyroid in 1994. After me requesting to have my levels checked, it was discovered that I too was hypothyroid. My daughter and I were prescribed ‘The Gold Standard’ synthroid. I knew nothing about the thyroid and was at the mercy of the doctors. A sonogram showed my new born baby had nodules instead of a fully developed thyroid gland. Through several sonograms over a 10 year period, I watched my thyroid disappear. When my daughter turned 15, she began having heart palpitations. This is when I found STTM. We both switched to NDT and oh what a difference that made. Her palpitations stopped and many other symptoms disappeared, as did mine. My health was so much worse than her. I truly believe you saved my life. Probably both our lives. The knowledge you so givingly share gave both of us a better quality of life. She is now married with a child of her own who is not hypothyroid. I’m 61 years old and I can’t thank you enough. You are a blessing.

53. Nancy Murillo

I finally found a doctor who had done the work and added T3 to my T4. It has made a lot of difference. He also found out I was anemic (low ferritin levels). Thank you for your work.
    Sending love and positive thoughts your way in your loss. It is hard. I am so sorry.
    I lost someone very close to me last September after caring for them daily for 2.5 years. I was in a fog of grief in all it’s stages for months and it still hits me out of the blue.
    We were such a blessing to these loved ones by lovingly caring for them and providing companionship. What a blessing to have spent the last days with them.

Nancy, it’s never about treating ferritin. Ferritin as storage iron can be low with high iron, so treating it can drive the high serum iron even higher…if the serum is high. It’s always about serum iron. 🙂 The only thing we look at with ferritin is if it’s high. That’s inflammation and we treat the latter. https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/iron

Fog of grief–that describes what I went through, too. And I’m still in the area of only being tolerate so much. But I felt ready to try one post. I still have my days and know they will always be there.

54. Debbie

Janie,
    Condolences to you as you continue to learn how to live with a great loss. May you find joy in in the memories and see life in the nature around you.

It’s a slow journey but I’m at least glad I finally felt ready to do a blog post. Yes, nature was very important to both of us.

55. KayHehir

Deepest Condolences in your recent loss of a beloved one…. It is wonderful that you’ve allowed yourself time for the grieving process & integrating your new reality… Please go gently, as you are.. Know also that you are supported with love in this journey, from many of us……Sending Prayers for you & your loved ones….????????????????????

Yes, I have no choice but to go gently. Grief fills you up to the point you can barely add anything else in your life. But after seeing this waitress and what she told me, I was at least ready to talk about her in a blog post.

• Judith Stringer

Your pain touches my heart. I know it well, and the loss of my 38 yr old son 17 years ago is a part of my bones. I learned from others in grief that this will change, and be ‘softer’ over time, yet will never go away. Yes, we learn how to live alongside the loss, grief. And somehow it makes us stronger. You are wise to lean on others. We can help you carry this. Your work has blessed so many of us. Thank you.

56. Mary Ann Pressley

I was on Armour then my new doctor stopped it and put me on levothyroxine. I prefer Armour but am looking for a doctor that will listen to me. My condolences on your loss.

Keep up that search. We have to have the right doctor and also expect to GUIDE them. That’s why the website, the books, the coaching calls exist. To educate all of you so you can step in the doctor’s office and guide.

57. KayHehir

58. Mary Kay Parulski

Oh Janie, my heart aches for your loss. You have helped countless numbers of people, including me. Walking your loved one home is both an honor filled with much sadness, but also much joy that cannot be matched any other way. You have my deepest sympathies.

59. Judith Booth

Hi Janie. Deepest sympathy to you at such a sad time.

In 2005 I found a doctor who had worked this out. Her daughter kept miscarrying and after adding T3 she had no troubles. She was one of the first to understand this. It was this doctor who gave me natural thyroid hormone when I felt suicidal due to thyroxin only meds for 25 years. It went against all medical advice at the time.

I am now 77 and still taking NTH. It’s been my lifesaver for the past 15 years. But there are still so many people struggling on T4 meds only.

I am so glad you gave your age. You are proof, as are many, that even those in their 70’s and BEYOND can do well with NDT. Medicare is stupid about this. Thank you deeply for your sympathy.

60. Kathy Forrest

That is a wonderful story of you in the restaurant. You have helped many. I am sure we can all understand your grief in the loss of someone special. Please accept my condolences.