In 2009, there were many folks reporting problems with the newly-formulated Armour (and that has been true for 2015, sadly), just as there was a growing body of individuals stating they are switching to Naturethroid by RLC Labs (formerly Western Research), another prescription brand of desiccated thyroid which also makes WP Thyroid.
But if you are considering Naturethroid, here is info to carry with you if you switch:
- Naturethroid has a coating on the outside, and some patients state they bite on the pill to remove the coating, and still try to do it sublingually. No sugar, but some are determined.
- One grain of Naturethroid is 65 mg rather than the 60 mg that Armour users have been used to. Two grains are 130 mgs, etc. (One grain is actually 64.8 but it’s easier to round it up). Strengths are 1/4, 1/2, one grain, two grains, three grains.
- The makers of Naturethroid started making 1 1/2 grain tablets by 2010.
- Ingredients are
- Porcine Thyroid Powder, U.S. Pharmacopeia
- Microcrystalline Cellulose
- Dicalcium Phosphate
- Sodium Starch Glycolate
- Magnesium Stearate
- Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
- Stearic Acid
- Carnauba Wax
- Polyethylene Glycol
- Naturethroid uses the same USP thyroid powder as any good desiccated thyroid product—it “adheres to full pharmaceutical purity and standardization on the consistency of the hormones along with full pre-and-post testing procedures associated with quality prescription products.”
- RLC Labs is a small and friendly pharmaceutical company.
- Twitter has a Nature Throid website.
- RLC labs also used to distribute Westhroid more than it does today (simlar), but that has largely been replaced by WP Thyroid–an NDT with very few fillers.
- When switching, you will have to figure out if you need to be on a similar amount as before, or a different amount, according to symptoms.
- And finally, it’s been around since the 1930’s–another tried and true desiccated thyroid product!
** Need the best groups on the internet to talk about your thyroid–totally based on wise patient experiences and wisdom?? Go here.
** Have you joined (liked) the STTM Facebook group? You’ll get solid and daily tips, information and inspiration from the Flagship of patient experiences and wisdom.
** Want to be informed of my blog posts? Curious what’s on my mind? Sign up for Notifications at the bottom of this page.