NP Thyroid by Acella has once again been recalled!

Yup. It’s happened again. The following lots of NP Thyroid by Acella Pharmaceuticals LLC have been recalled due to sub-potency! 15-mg, 30-mg, 60-mg, 90-mg and 120-mg NP Thyroid®

And as the creator of Stop the Thyroid Madness (STTM) patient-to-patient movement, I’m not surprised.

Since Acella brought NP Thyroid back after the recall(s) in 2019, there have STILL been complaints by some hypothyoid or Hashimoto’s patients!! No, not all. But enough to cause concern. The complaints have occurred in thyroid groups directly associated with STTM…and even in groups that are not directly associated with STTM. I was hearing those complaints in STTM coaching calls. I was hearing about them from many patient volunteers who contact me!

What were the continued complaints? They revolved around not being able to fully get out of one’s hypothyroid state.

And this is the second time for a recall of NP Thyroid

The first recall(s) happened in 2019. And you can read my blog post about it here. You will read that in some patients, their newly obtained NP Thyroid prescription was causing problems in the Summer of 2019. Then by Fall of 2019, there were obvious changes along with a return of hypothyroid symptoms, like a “cat piss” or “ammonia-type: smell. Patients reported back then:

1. It now smells and tastes horribleworse than before.
  2. The tablets look different from previous ones
  3. I’m feeling much worse now on the same dose that made me feel great. Symptoms are back.

Then in the same blog post, you will read about the recall due to sub-potency, then later “super potency”. Either way, it was clear that too many patients were NOT feeling well on it anymore. Even those who said they still did feel well, didn’t have labs to prove it would last.

So what do you do now if you had returned to using NP Thyroid since it came back out again?

Still to this day for what appears to be the majority of hypothyroid patients, Armour desiccated thyroid is working (even though there have been periods in the past where it had problems, but they seem to have been corrected a few years ago). So is using synthetic T4 with synthetic T3. Examples of the two synthetics are Tirosint for T4, with Cytomel or Sigma Pharm for T3. Honestly, all the brands have worked.

BUT….we as patient learned that to make either work correctly, we have to have the following:

1) The right amount of cortisol, otherwise we get hyper-like symptoms when raising. You can read this page to see clues that you might not have the right amount of cortisol. i.e. some levels being too low, others too high. All can cause hyperlike symptoms when raising a product with T3 in it. It’s the results of pooling.
2) The right amount of iron levels, otherwise we get rising RT3 (reverse T3), an inactive hormone which can block us from achieving the right amount of T3.
3) Optimal free T4 and optimal free T3. Optimal is NOT midrange. Optimal is not below midrange. Optimal is not just slightly above midrange. Read the page on optimal.

So let’s talk. Use the Comment feature below.

NOTE: If you reading this via an email because you signed up to receive notifications, the links will NOT work. You have to come straight to the blog post by clicking on the title of this post.

ARE YOU GAINING FROM THE KNOWLEDGE AND WISDOM OF OTHERS?? See the STTM books here.

Here are links about the recall: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/acella-pharmaceuticals-llc-issues-voluntary-nationwide-recall-of-certain-lots-of-np-thyroid-thyroid-tablets-usp-due-to-sub-potency-301280741.html

I will be adding more links to this blog post as they come out.

Important notes: All the information on this website is copyrighted. STTM is an information-only site based on what many patients worldwide have reported in their treatment and wisdom over the years. This is not to be taken as personal medical advice, nor to replace a relationship with your doctor. By reading this information-only website, you take full responsibility for what you choose to do with this website's information or outcomes. See the Disclaimer and Terms of Use.

Write a new comment below

19 Responses to “NP Thyroid by Acella has once again been recalled!”

1. Stephen Farkash says:

I never received any foul smelling NPThyroid, but I have never gotten to an optimal level either. Continuing to have a puffy face and red cheeks…etc. Armour is 4 times the cost with my insurance co-pay. Guess it’s time to see what my PCP will prescribe for me but all this pretty much sucks. Naturally derived products not properly produced and Big Pharma wins the day.

2. Starr D. says:

Janie, why does our government allow companies to stay in business and get away with poor quality on
    these thyroid drugs, OVER and OVER again?? This makes me sick to read about this, as NP failed me
    miserably toward the end of my run, and what’s worse, there was a time when I encouraged my brother
    to go on it….he was only on it about two months, but I think it may have made his liver problems worse–
    his batch was in the list of “bad batches,” I found out later. And now, he is gone–and I don’t know how
    much being on that lousy NP may have made him worse or not–such guilt, for me. But being a thyroid patient
    shouldn’t be this hard, for some of us! So I made this petition, to get us better treatment, more consistent drugs, etc:
    https://www.change.org/ThyoidBetterTreatment I hope some of you will sign and share this.
    I’m asking the Biden Administration to help fund better and earlier testing and diagnosis for thyroid problems,
    funding for new and innovative drugs and treatments; BETTER OVERSIGHT of the drugs we already have,
    and better education for doctors on how treating the thyroid well and earlier can help prevent other health
    problems from happening…..This kind of thing with NP needs to stop; and in general, thyroid patients need
    to be respected and the medical and pharmaceutical community needs to stop treating us like CRAP!!! Thanks for
    any support on this petition, and Janie, thank you again for informing thyroid patients, like no one else does (but should!)

3. Riley says:

This website is hard for my current hypo brain to read but I am trying. This website mentions in many places that Armour is the “only” one working. It was the last one working and now as of April 2021 it’s obviously gone to crap again. It doesn’t even taste or crush the same. Just like people on nothing, I gained 15lbs in 2 months and my diet and life has not changed. Armour changed.

I found after the last Armour reformulation that I needed T3 along with it to be optimal. Now, I can’t figure out how to replace Armour with T4 while continuing my 75mcg T3 dosage. Starting low is my obvious guess but how soon can I check labs on Free T4 when I don’t care about it converting to T3? I’m already on T3!

You say in multiple places that we can’t use those “conversion” charts but if there was 38mcg of T4 per grain of Armour, do I just swap it for a 50mcg pill cut in fours and take 12.5mcg X 3 and work my way up? Again, how soon can I get labs on Free T4 when I just need to build my storage back up?

Thank you for any help and I apologize if I missed it.

• So far, every single time a stray individual says armour has changed, it turns out to be user error. But if there is ever enough evidence to say it has, and with no obvious user error going on, I will say so, for sure.

No, STTM says in several areas that the conversion charts on how to make an equal switch from T4 to NDT are in error. They are apples and oranges, plus fail on the individuality factor, as well.

It’s impossible to answer your question without knowing your free T4, free T3, and RT3. So use this page: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal

4. Waveylines says:

Im amazed to discover this. Ive been on Acella for a number of years and not had a problem at all. The last recall my pharmacy (uk) said the super potency was very very tiny and I wouldnt notice and they dont notify patients for such a tiny change. Infact the pharmacy said across the board od all medications it is extremely common to get recalls. I did actually notice the difference and reduced my meds by one eighth of one grain tablet (i was taking four one grain of 60mg strength tablets at the time.)
    As for the smell or taste its never changed in the ones I had in over two years so that was confusing to read about. I don’t get on with Armour since they changed it (2011?) am not sure why but it maybe due to one of the fillers so not keen to change. In fairness it must be ten years since I tried Armour so if they’ve altered it back maybe I will be ok on it if Aceella is now unavailable.

5. Ivy says:

Such direct abs great information.
    It really ironic and saddening these past few weeks I haven’t had much luck with compounded t3. At first I did then once I got a new partial batch it was like I was on 100. High blood pressure, fast heart rate things I normally never ever ever feel on T3.
    I switched to another compounding pharmacy and that worked well to until I got another new partial batch from them and same thing, same symptoms and side effects. So now I’m left with no T3. I don’t tolerate generic. I’m thinking it could be the fillers in the medications, I used turmeric for the first and sucrose for the second. I feel so unwell after doing so well with T3 even when I had a cortisol problem I’d still feel happy and calm.

I don’t know what to think or say I’ve experienced the bad batch of NP Thyroid and Armour for some reason just stopped working all together for me, too. So what else do I have left? I’m so unsure.

6. SUSAN GAGE says:

Thank you so much for letting me know about this. I only have 7 NP Thyroid pills left! I would love to try both Tirosint & Cytomel, but my insurance doesn’t cover them. I looked up Tirosint on GoodRx and it’s outrageously expensive — $127.60 for 30 pills! Cytomel is not too bad — $13.78 at Rite Aid, but if I got that, I guess I’d have to go back to taking the generic Levothyroxine in order to get my T4 affordably. Bummer. I would love to go back on WP Thyroid, but it’s not available. Any suggestions?

7. Mary Lue Walser says:

I was on Nature Thyroid and doing o.k. They pulled it off the market and I had to go to NP Thyroid. I don’t think it works as well. I can’t take Armour as it makes me quite ill and I throw up every morning like I am pregnant and this 73-year-old does not need that. Not sure what to do now. My doctor writes prescriptions for whatever I request. I have Cytomel I can take and do when I start staying tired. My T3 absorption is not nor has it even been good. I had thyroid cancer and total thyroidectomy. Guess I will just have to monitor how I feel and maybe up the dosage. I know it is hit or miss but it is all I can think to do.

• Martha Brandt says:

I’ve been struggling since last fall when Naturethroid was recalled. Got an NP prescription and just couldn’t handle the gaggy smell and taste. Tried Synthroid alone and then with slowly creeping up TSH, tried adding T3. Have high cortisol and just felt crazy! Was so discouraged, thinking I might have to ever so slowly add in the T3 to reach some sort of balance.

Then yesterday I called my local compounding pharmacy on a whim (intuitive hunch?) to see if they had any idea when Naturethroid might return and they told me they just received their first new batch (65 mg, my dose!). Picked it up and started back on it this morning (looks and smells fine). Fingers so crossed they have gotten their dosage standardization down and will be shipping out to more places soon! I still have hope that hey can sustain a good NDT product.

8. Dori says:

I just picked up my Rx today and it does NOT smell bad. Same color and same smell as previously. Not yet tasted since I took it this morning. I don’t understand this….maybe these folks got an old batch number????

9. Audrey Trombley says:

I’ve been taking Cytomel and Tirosint for several years now and feel great. If one feels it necessary to continue wrestling with NDT then I’m not going to argue against that – but people should hear from those of us who have decided it’s not worth the aggravation and moved over to synthetics that the synthetics can work just as well as the natural. It may at least be worth a try for some. God bless all with the very best of health whichever way you choose to get there.

10. Dawn says:

What took them so long??? The medication was never corrected. This is a blessing and a curse. I was hoping almost two years into this debacle, that it would have been restored. This is setting us back further. Thank you for letting us know, Janie.

11. susan mccoy says:

Publix Pharmacy kept replacing my Armour with NP Thyroid when they were out of stock. Recently I took one before I noticed. It smelled terrible and made me feel terrible, it took 2 days to recover. I was also on Nature Throid and it made me sick for a long time. Why do these companies do this to us? Why do they get away with it? Without your site I wouldn’t have known about either. Thank you for what you do!

12. Pamela Payne says:

I’ve been trying to tell my doctor it wasn’t working. For months I was dragging, barely able to function. Then 3 months ago I went slightly hyper, so she dropped my dose from 60 to 45. My heart rate went down, but I still don’t feel great. I can’t afford any other NDT because none of them are covered by my insurance. I guess it’s going to be levo and liothyronine from here on out.

• Terry Schultz says:

Even though I have Kaiser insurance, I started using GoodRx online recently for less expensive prescriptions. Then I call to make sure I can get that price and pick up at a local pharmacy. Check it out if you haven’t, it’s free. Just print out the information with the number they give you (a card will arrive within a couple of weeks). You can look up by lowest price for your area, closest, etc., and it’ll give you prices for different pharmacies.