NP Thyroid by Acella has once again been recalled!

Yup. It’s happened again. The following lots of NP Thyroid by Acella Pharmaceuticals LLC have been recalled due to sub-potency! 15-mg, 30-mg, 60-mg, 90-mg and 120-mg NP Thyroid®

And as the creator of Stop the Thyroid Madness (STTM) patient-to-patient movement, I’m not surprised.

Since Acella brought NP Thyroid back after the recall(s) in 2019, there have STILL been complaints by some hypothyoid or Hashimoto’s patients!! No, not all. But enough to cause concern. The complaints have occurred in thyroid groups directly associated with STTM…and even in groups that are not directly associated with STTM. I was hearing those complaints in STTM coaching calls. I was hearing about them from many patient volunteers who contact me!

What were the continued complaints? They revolved around not being able to fully get out of one’s hypothyroid state.

And this is the second time for a recall of NP Thyroid

The first recall(s) happened in 2019. And you can read my blog post about it here. You will read that in some patients, their newly obtained NP Thyroid prescription was causing problems in the Summer of 2019. Then by Fall of 2019, there were obvious changes along with a return of hypothyroid symptoms, like a “cat piss” or “ammonia-type: smell. Patients reported back then:

1. It now smells and tastes horribleworse than before.
  2. The tablets look different from previous ones
  3. I’m feeling much worse now on the same dose that made me feel great. Symptoms are back.

Then in the same blog post, you will read about the recall due to sub-potency, then later “super potency”. Either way, it was clear that too many patients were NOT feeling well on it anymore. Even those who said they still did feel well, didn’t have labs to prove it would last.

So what do you do now if you had returned to using NP Thyroid since it came back out again?

Still to this day for what appears to be the majority of hypothyroid patients, Armour desiccated thyroid is working (even though there have been periods in the past where it had problems, but they seem to have been corrected a few years ago). So is using synthetic T4 with synthetic T3. Examples of the two synthetics are Tirosint for T4, with Cytomel or Sigma Pharm for T3. Honestly, all the brands have worked.

BUT….we as patient learned that to make either work correctly, we have to have the following:

1) The right amount of cortisol, otherwise we get hyper-like symptoms when raising. You can read this page to see clues that you might not have the right amount of cortisol. i.e. some levels being too low, others too high. All can cause hyperlike symptoms when raising a product with T3 in it. It’s the results of pooling.
2) The right amount of iron levels, otherwise we get rising RT3 (reverse T3), an inactive hormone which can block us from achieving the right amount of T3.
3) Optimal free T4 and optimal free T3. Optimal is NOT midrange. Optimal is not below midrange. Optimal is not just slightly above midrange. Read the page on optimal.

So let’s talk. Use the Comment feature below.

NOTE: If you reading this via an email because you signed up to receive notifications, the links will NOT work. You have to come straight to the blog post by clicking on the title of this post.

ARE YOU GAINING FROM THE KNOWLEDGE AND WISDOM OF OTHERS?? See the STTM books here.

Here are links about the recall: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/acella-pharmaceuticals-llc-issues-voluntary-nationwide-recall-of-certain-lots-of-np-thyroid-thyroid-tablets-usp-due-to-sub-potency-301280741.html

I will be adding more links to this blog post as they come out.

Important notes: All the information on this website is copyrighted. STTM is an information-only site based on what many patients worldwide have reported in their treatment and wisdom over the years. This is not to be taken as personal medical advice, nor to replace a relationship with your doctor. By reading this information-only website, you take full responsibility for what you choose to do with this website's information or outcomes. See the Disclaimer and Terms of Use.

Write a new comment below

64 Responses to “NP Thyroid by Acella has once again been recalled!”

1. Jennifer says:

Janie, I just ran across this very interesting excerpt from “Running on Empty: Hypothyroidism, Introduction to an Underactive Thyroid Gland”. It states that (quote) natural thyroid preparations should be placed in vegetable capsules and not gelatin ones. The reason for this is that about 40% of the thyroxine in gelatin capsules is absorbed by the gastrointestinal tract. This will have an obvious effect on hormone levels, T4 concentrations may appear too low and T3 concentrations too high. Trying to keep both hormones within the reference ranges or at a person’s optimal set points may be difficult. Vegetable capsules do not have the same binding effect on T4 and absorption is not hindered. (unquote) Have you ever heard that or agree with that? I take my compounded thyroid in gelatin caps and do have problems from time to time. Do you think there’s a possibility that this is correct about gelatin vs. veggie capsules? I’ve never read that anywhere else. Thanks.

2. Betty says:

I am a mess, I was taking the np that they said was recalled I never had a problem with them. I was still doing great. I got a new prescription last month for the same dosage from our new drug store. It has been three weeks and I feel horrible. I can’t sleep, have calf pains at night, breathless throughout the day and just feel horrible. Nothing has changed in my life except these pills. I called Acella and they said that the new bottles were not on the recall list.
    Any advice?

• All I can say that if your experience were mine, I’d get a prescription for T4/T3. And if you choose to, there still appear to be quite a few people doing well on Armour, even if others are not.

3. Jennifer says:

Janie,
    I have a question about Armour. I did great on Armour before they added the MCC many years ago. I was thinking I read that it might be adsorbed if one were to take cellulase to break down the cellulose in it. If so, would you take the cellulase at the same time as the Armor and how much would you need? Would it be based on your dosage of thyroid med?
    I recall that when Naturethroid changed their formula to include MCC that it no longer dissolved under the tongue and I went very hypo over the next 2-3 months. Later I read that some patients did okay if they chewed the tablet up rather than swallow the pill. Could this option work as well? Does the Armour no longer dissolve under the tongue either?
    Thanks for your help, Jennifer

• Armour is now hard and bland. And yes, since cellulase in known to break down cellulose, seems like worth a try, to me.

• Annette says:

I believe I had absorption problems as well. The cellulose makes it nearly impossible to dissolve Armour under the tongue, but I crush it between 2 spoons and pour it under there anyway to finish dissolving. I know I still swallow some of it, but it has made a huge positive difference for me.

4. Jenny Blue says:

I started on a 1 1/2 grain of NP after felling fine on previous 2 grain bottle (cut in half and titrated according to symptoms or absence of)even taking it beyond it’s expiry date.

I now feel horrible, same as when I’ve gone cold turkey and stopped taking anything atall once or twice in the past.

I’m going to tell the pharmacy I bought the dodgy one from and have a new 2 grain bottle purchased last week that I’d intended to keep in back up, which I’ll start using now……

This damned stuff is so expensive but has seemed somehow worth it just to feel human….then when this happens it’s just so disturbing.

Does anyone know the suspect lot numbers at the moment and ought I tell the company. ?

Thankyou

5. Stephen Farkash says:

I wrote a while back mentioning that my CVS pharmacy stated they hadn’t received any of the recalled lots. So, I renewed my 90 day prescription which had increased 3 x’s in cost. Well, it did smell cat pissy. Called CVS and they said that’s just the way it smells. Three days into taking 90 mgs. a day, I totally crashed. Found a year old bottle of NPThyroid in the fridge at 120 mgs. Split it up to get to 90 and within 3 days I was getting back on track. I’m believing that none of the new NPThyroid is any good. All users are being forced to switch to Armour or synthetics. I have a televisit with my PCP today to see what my options are. I’m hoping for a combination of synthetic T3 and T4 and that it works. This is a terrible situation we’ve all been forced into.

• Yup, you’re right. So far, it appears that most are simply going hypo on any remaining NP that’s out there. They definitely did not return it to what it used to be.

6. Fran Ellsworth says:

Hi all,
    I was optimal and feeling well on all levels with Naturethroid and a low dose of Synthroid last August before it all came crashing down with the recall. Since then, have tried Armour + small dose of Synthroid and then moved to compounded synthetic T4/T3. After first check I was still low so doc increased dosage of compounded T4/T3 — the numbers barely moved on the higher dose! Has anyone had this before? Do I need to change the time I am testing when on these meds? Is it more sensitive to changes in diet, missed doses etc? I am thinking of going back to Armour + Synthroid again as it’s covered by my health plan. Are there any current potency issues with Armour that we are aware of? Any other ideas are welcomed as I talk with my doctor tomorrow. So frustrating!

• Sometimes patients just have to keep going up to find their right amount. This informational page should help as to the goal: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal, because those who don’t achieve it eventually see a decline. The individuality is when the decline happens.

As far as Armour, the majority seem to doing well. But there have been occasional comments of a bad batch, it seems.

By the way, Armour is already 80% T4. So we find no need to add more T4, for most of us.

7. Linda Andrusko says:

I have been switched from Armour, to Naturethroid, then several different dosages of NP, for which I too got the recall letter. I am waiting for my latest lab report from today, but on NP, my numbers skyrocketed, & even with increased dosages, it hasn’t returned to normal ranges, especially my free T4. Would it make any difference whether my doctor orders my natural thyroid from a compound pharmacy, or are they too receiving subpotent medication? I have too many unused bottles of different dosages, since nothing was helping to regulate it. Thoughts on compounding pharmacies, & if they have the same issue or not, please.

• If you want to use a Compounder, you might want to call to see if they are even finding a reliable porcine powder. Because some have been reporting they haven’t. Then ask them where they are getting the powder. Both Erfa in Canada (years ago) and Acella reported they were now getting it from “Europe”. And though Erfa wasn’t recalled, patients reported noticing a negative difference. And we all know what happened to NP Thyroid by Acella.

8. BRENDA L BARNETSON says:

Ahh, The letter I received about the recall explains finally why I’ve been SO tired in the afternoons! I will again go back to Armour and try to get my refund from Acella for the NP.

9. Ivy says:

I’m hoping this is ok to ask but how can we go about ordering T3 overseas? Or getting it prescribed by a holistic practitioner? Cytomel and Generic from sigma just don’t agree with me anymore I’ve tried to use both recently and horrible hypothyroid symptoms came back with a vengeance. Compounded T3 is just so potent and strong I can’t tolerate not even 25mcg because just taking that alone for one day the affects will last me until the next day which isn’t normal on T3 since T3 is meant to take every hour, it’s like it just sits in my body and piles up every time I take compounded T3 every 3 hours but with regular T3 from the market and I can feel I need another dose usually every three hours idk what’s wrong and hoping giving liotir a shot I just don’t know how to go about this.

With love,

• Hi. Can you explain what you mean that neither Cytomel or Sigma Pharm work for you? Because they do work great. Is it possible you aren’t raising them high enough? Or they are revealing a cortisol problem?

10. Susan Siens says:

Hi, Janie, I wasn’t having problems with NP, but now I am. Horrible, horrible, horrible. So I guess I have to switch to Armour and drive a lot of miles to get a half-decent price (driving while absolutely exhausted because NP isn’t working).

11. Vanessa Falstreaux says:

I got a letter about my NPThyroid being recalled but the pharmacy says they did not receive any of those lot numbers. I have felt really bad for about 7 months now. Just had labs drawn and my TSH is 20.76. I think there are more lots out there that the manufacturer has not recalled. Obviously mine is not working

12. George says:

Called Acella today. They make you jump through a bunch of hoops just to get reimbursed for their failure. They want a receipt for the purchase that I made months ago. I do not keep those receipts. I told them I will try another manufacturer from now on.

• Susan Siens says:

Hi, George, they told me my pharmacy should print out another receipt. Frankly, I am sick of incompetence. I once heard an academic report that 10 percent of people are actually competent at their jobs. I’m not sure the number is that high when it comes to corporate executives and doctors!

13. Mele says:

Good Rx is great and how I pay for my desiccated thyroid. Get the mobile phone app for Good Rx. You just show the price on the phone to the employee for the pharmacy you have chosen to fill your prescription at. Walmart will honor the price but it is much easier and faster at CVS, Walgreen’s, etc.

I have one of the effected lots bottle of NP Thyroid and just got a letter late today from CVS about it. UGH.

14. Amy says:

FYI patient feedback:

I have avoided Armour due to the $$$ but was out of options after the last Nature-throid debacle.
    I always liked Nature-throid and didn’t notice any issues but I simply can’t get it. I tried NP 2x in the past and it made me flu like sick so not an option. No idea why as I am not sensitive to meds, no allergies etc.

My switch from Nature-throid to Armour was uneventful at the same dosage. Labs fine/same as before but what struck me is my hair! My hair is growing like never before…..my friend gave me a haircut and pointed out I have an “undercoat” of hair several inches long. My hair is curly so I didn’t notice it.
    I don’t know what else could be the cause but the timing coincides with my switch to Armour (I log everything). It seems my hair is returning to pre hypo, it is a superficial thing but my hair loss was devastating.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything you do,
    Amy

15. Larry says:

I know you push Armour but my doctor and 2 endos never could get it right for me. Had switched to Nature throid and within 6 weeks my numbers came down so well my doctor neve prescribed Amour to anyone else. In 2017 when the shortage began I got switched to NP Thyroid and at first it was working but as time went on I had lots of side effects so went back to Nature Throid until I could not get it at all. I was put once again on NP and ended up with sever muscle and joint pain that my doctor and specialists could not figure out. I stopped the NP all together as I could not take the pain as I had always thought that wat the problem. After 1 week the pain was all gone, I started taking synthetic T3 and have added a little T4 and it’s much better that any of the NP stuff. I think I am a little hypo and will be getting the numbers checked in a few weeks again. Sure hope Nature Throid makes a comeback some day, I sure miss it.

• Larry, just to clarify that I, as creator of STTM, don’t ‘push’ Armour. I simply report what patients have reported as to still working for them, (especially if they understand to take enough to get their free T3 and free T4 optimal.) Also being reported as working well is taking synthetic T4 with synthetic t3, and also understanding to get optimal. And there is always taking T3-only, multi-dosed three times a day, and getting the free T3 optimal. For all the latter is this: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal

One of the reasons that it can appear that Endos never get armour right is that they obsess over the very normal low TSH it will cause. But since it sounds like you had tried armour in the past, that may have been when it had some problems around 2015 which were eventually fixed.

16. Jennifer Wilson says:

Hi Janie,

My question is not related to the recall but I hope you can help answer it. I have absorption problems with MCC and cannot take thyroid meds that have it. Does such an absorption problem hold true with MCC in other drugs? Specifically as an example, I need some compounded Benadryl and the pharmacy uses MCC in the capsule as a filler. Since it’s just a loose form of it (not compacted into a tablet), would there likely be any problem with absorbing the Benadryl? Thanks so much for your help.

• Yes, we figured out years ago that by some experiences, microcrystalline cellulose, which is refined wood pulp, can slow down the absorption of thyroid hormones in meds. That is in spite of it being called an inert and non-toxic filler! And it has seemed that some individuals notice this worse slower absorption problem more than others. We don’t know what it could do with other meds, though, like Benadryl.

17. Jen says:

I’m thinking that I may have gotten a subpotent batch. I increased my dose from 105mg to 120mg in Feb. Just had labs done and everything went down from labs done in Dec. FT4 was 0.9, now 0.8 (0.8-1.8). FT3 was 3.1, now 2.7 (2.3-4.2), TSH was 0.06, now 0.04 (0.40-4.50). What the heck?!

18. Suze says:

I posted recently that I was doing well on the current Erfa thyroid. I started at 60, then after ten days 90, then after 9 days, 120. I had an overall new feeling of well being from the first dose, but now I have periods of feeling hypo or hyper, interspersed with feeling well. I am still better every day than I was on the synthetics. However, I get extremely tired by late afternoon or evening on 60 and 90. When I took 120 today it caused a fast heartbeat. I don’t want to bounce back and forth with doses based on how I feel! I did that in the past and it did not work. Should I settle for being hypo and tired on 90 and wait longer to try 120? Should I skip a day? My dr. told me to get a blood test only when I’ve found the right dose!

• This is where many of us realize that it’s not working well enough, or it’s revealing a cortisol problem when we try to raise. https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info

This is why we can’t go just by how we feel. Afternoon fatigue could be a sign of continued hypothyroid, too.

• suze says:

I had a euthyroid day today which I haven’t had in years. It was on 1 grain Erfa. I decided to take a conservative dose since 120 made me hyper. Somehow it was so perfect for me that I had energy all day. No hyperness after taking the dose, and no tiredness at all despite being active all day. This is rare as I’ve had no energy for 2 years. Again I felt this happiness and joy. I am certain there is something we vitally need in the natural thyroid, which I never got with Synthroid or Cytomel. It’s like my body was telling me, 120 is too high right now. Be patient and stay on 60 longer! I was all prepared to go back to the synthetics if I felt bad today, but instead I am more sure now that the Erfa is good. I won’t be raising it a grain at a time as that was too big a change. Just half a grain at a time.

19. Rebecca says:

Thanks for the notice! I actually switched from NP to synthetic levothyroxine/liothyronine 2 1/2 months ago. My NP labs were nearly non-existent (the FREES). That was the final straw. We have my levels optimal and feel good….it’s been awhile!
    I called Acella today just to express my outrage at their incompetence. They tried to offer me a replacement ND I said I wouldn’t take a lifetime supply for free if they gave them to me.
    My advice is, don’t disqualify the synthetic combination!

20. CeCe says:

Janie,
    I just opened the email from the FDA warning of the recall. I will try to post below. I rushed over here to share, but you already had info posted! Thank you! Knew we could count on you!

Personally, I had moved to T4/T3 but I’m not quite where I need to be – it’s a process. I am actually wondering if the generic brand differences are throwing me off because I’ve had three different manufacturers now of the T3 (liothyronine) (MAYN, GREE, SUNP) and two different manufacturers of the T4 (Unithroid, MYLA) and I’m not only experiencing new hot flashes, but find myself getting cranky and REALLY tired in the afternoon again.

So – two questions in the quest for consistency:
    1. Is Unithroid a reliably consistent option for the T4? (It has actually been more affordable than the generic for some reason), and,
    2. Is there a T3 manufacturer that has been shown to be more consistent/reliable?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Here’s that notice:

May 3, 2021 http://www.fda.gov/womens
    Acella Pharmaceuticals, LLC, Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Certain Lots of NP Thyroid® (Thyroid Tablets, USP) Due to Sub Potency

Acella Pharmaceuticals, LLC, is voluntarily recalling certain lots listed in the Tables 1 and 2 below of 15-mg, 30-mg, 60-mg, 90-mg and 120-mg NP Thyroid®, Thyroid Tablets, USP [levothyroxine (T4) and liothyronine (T3)] to the consumer level. The products are being recalled because routine testing has found these lots to be sub potent. The product contains less than 90% of the labeled amount of liothyronine (T3) and/or levothyroxine (T4).

Risk Statement: Patients being treated for hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid), who receive sub potent NP Thyroid®, may experience signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) which may include, fatigue, increased sensitivity to cold, constipation, dry skin, puffy face, hair loss, slow heart rate, depression, swelling of the thyroid gland and/or unexplained weight gain or difficulty losing weight. There is reasonable risk of serious injury in newborn infants or pregnant women with hypothyroidism including early miscarriage, fetal hyperthyroidism, and/or impairments to fetal neural and skeletal development.

Read the full Company Recall Announcement

Sincerely,

FDA Office of Women’s Health

21. Stephen Farkash says:

I never received any foul smelling NPThyroid, but I have never gotten to an optimal level either. Continuing to have a puffy face and red cheeks…etc. Armour is 4 times the cost with my insurance co-pay. Guess it’s time to see what my PCP will prescribe for me but all this pretty much sucks. Naturally derived products not properly produced and Big Pharma wins the day.

22. Starr D. says:

Janie, why does our government allow companies to stay in business and get away with poor quality on
    these thyroid drugs, OVER and OVER again?? This makes me sick to read about this, as NP failed me
    miserably toward the end of my run, and what’s worse, there was a time when I encouraged my brother
    to go on it….he was only on it about two months, but I think it may have made his liver problems worse–
    his batch was in the list of “bad batches,” I found out later. And now, he is gone–and I don’t know how
    much being on that lousy NP may have made him worse or not–such guilt, for me. But being a thyroid patient
    shouldn’t be this hard, for some of us! So I made this petition, to get us better treatment, more consistent drugs, etc:
    https://www.change.org/ThyoidBetterTreatment I hope some of you will sign and share this.
    I’m asking the Biden Administration to help fund better and earlier testing and diagnosis for thyroid problems,
    funding for new and innovative drugs and treatments; BETTER OVERSIGHT of the drugs we already have,
    and better education for doctors on how treating the thyroid well and earlier can help prevent other health
    problems from happening…..This kind of thing with NP needs to stop; and in general, thyroid patients need
    to be respected and the medical and pharmaceutical community needs to stop treating us like CRAP!!! Thanks for
    any support on this petition, and Janie, thank you again for informing thyroid patients, like no one else does (but should!)

23. Riley says:

This website is hard for my current hypo brain to read but I am trying. This website mentions in many places that Armour is the “only” one working. It was the last one working and now as of April 2021 it’s obviously gone to crap again. It doesn’t even taste or crush the same. Just like people on nothing, I gained 15lbs in 2 months and my diet and life has not changed. Armour changed.

I found after the last Armour reformulation that I needed T3 along with it to be optimal. Now, I can’t figure out how to replace Armour with T4 while continuing my 75mcg T3 dosage. Starting low is my obvious guess but how soon can I check labs on Free T4 when I don’t care about it converting to T3? I’m already on T3!

You say in multiple places that we can’t use those “conversion” charts but if there was 38mcg of T4 per grain of Armour, do I just swap it for a 50mcg pill cut in fours and take 12.5mcg X 3 and work my way up? Again, how soon can I get labs on Free T4 when I just need to build my storage back up?

Thank you for any help and I apologize if I missed it.

• So far, every single time a stray individual says armour has changed, it turns out to be user error. But if there is ever enough evidence to say it has, and with no obvious user error going on, I will say so, for sure.

No, STTM says in several areas that the conversion charts on how to make an equal switch from T4 to NDT are in error. They are apples and oranges, plus fail on the individuality factor, as well.

It’s impossible to answer your question without knowing your free T4, free T3, and RT3. So use this page: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal

24. Waveylines says:

Im amazed to discover this. Ive been on Acella for a number of years and not had a problem at all. The last recall my pharmacy (uk) said the super potency was very very tiny and I wouldnt notice and they dont notify patients for such a tiny change. Infact the pharmacy said across the board od all medications it is extremely common to get recalls. I did actually notice the difference and reduced my meds by one eighth of one grain tablet (i was taking four one grain of 60mg strength tablets at the time.)
    As for the smell or taste its never changed in the ones I had in over two years so that was confusing to read about. I don’t get on with Armour since they changed it (2011?) am not sure why but it maybe due to one of the fillers so not keen to change. In fairness it must be ten years since I tried Armour so if they’ve altered it back maybe I will be ok on it if Aceella is now unavailable.

• Kelly says:

Ivy, I am curious what you mean by the compounding T3 batches changing? Arent all synthetic compounded T3 the same? I thought it was only the NDT that changes?

25. Ivy says:

Such direct abs great information.
    It really ironic and saddening these past few weeks I haven’t had much luck with compounded t3. At first I did then once I got a new partial batch it was like I was on 100. High blood pressure, fast heart rate things I normally never ever ever feel on T3.
    I switched to another compounding pharmacy and that worked well to until I got another new partial batch from them and same thing, same symptoms and side effects. So now I’m left with no T3. I don’t tolerate generic. I’m thinking it could be the fillers in the medications, I used turmeric for the first and sucrose for the second. I feel so unwell after doing so well with T3 even when I had a cortisol problem I’d still feel happy and calm.

I don’t know what to think or say I’ve experienced the bad batch of NP Thyroid and Armour for some reason just stopped working all together for me, too. So what else do I have left? I’m so unsure.

26. SUSAN GAGE says:

Thank you so much for letting me know about this. I only have 7 NP Thyroid pills left! I would love to try both Tirosint & Cytomel, but my insurance doesn’t cover them. I looked up Tirosint on GoodRx and it’s outrageously expensive — $127.60 for 30 pills! Cytomel is not too bad — $13.78 at Rite Aid, but if I got that, I guess I’d have to go back to taking the generic Levothyroxine in order to get my T4 affordably. Bummer. I would love to go back on WP Thyroid, but it’s not available. Any suggestions?

27. Mary Lue Walser says:

I was on Nature Thyroid and doing o.k. They pulled it off the market and I had to go to NP Thyroid. I don’t think it works as well. I can’t take Armour as it makes me quite ill and I throw up every morning like I am pregnant and this 73-year-old does not need that. Not sure what to do now. My doctor writes prescriptions for whatever I request. I have Cytomel I can take and do when I start staying tired. My T3 absorption is not nor has it even been good. I had thyroid cancer and total thyroidectomy. Guess I will just have to monitor how I feel and maybe up the dosage. I know it is hit or miss but it is all I can think to do.

• Martha Brandt says:

I’ve been struggling since last fall when Naturethroid was recalled. Got an NP prescription and just couldn’t handle the gaggy smell and taste. Tried Synthroid alone and then with slowly creeping up TSH, tried adding T3. Have high cortisol and just felt crazy! Was so discouraged, thinking I might have to ever so slowly add in the T3 to reach some sort of balance.

Then yesterday I called my local compounding pharmacy on a whim (intuitive hunch?) to see if they had any idea when Naturethroid might return and they told me they just received their first new batch (65 mg, my dose!). Picked it up and started back on it this morning (looks and smells fine). Fingers so crossed they have gotten their dosage standardization down and will be shipping out to more places soon! I still have hope that hey can sustain a good NDT product.

28. Dori says:

I just picked up my Rx today and it does NOT smell bad. Same color and same smell as previously. Not yet tasted since I took it this morning. I don’t understand this….maybe these folks got an old batch number????

29. Audrey Trombley says:

I’ve been taking Cytomel and Tirosint for several years now and feel great. If one feels it necessary to continue wrestling with NDT then I’m not going to argue against that – but people should hear from those of us who have decided it’s not worth the aggravation and moved over to synthetics that the synthetics can work just as well as the natural. It may at least be worth a try for some. God bless all with the very best of health whichever way you choose to get there.

30. Dawn says:

What took them so long??? The medication was never corrected. This is a blessing and a curse. I was hoping almost two years into this debacle, that it would have been restored. This is setting us back further. Thank you for letting us know, Janie.

31. susan mccoy says:

Publix Pharmacy kept replacing my Armour with NP Thyroid when they were out of stock. Recently I took one before I noticed. It smelled terrible and made me feel terrible, it took 2 days to recover. I was also on Nature Throid and it made me sick for a long time. Why do these companies do this to us? Why do they get away with it? Without your site I wouldn’t have known about either. Thank you for what you do!

• Acella admitted in 2019 that they now get their porcine powder from “Europe”. There could be a connection there.

• Melannie says:

HI Janie,
        If anything, getting their porc products from Europe should help not hinder the situation. I’m an american living in France and I can tell you that the conditions for raising pigs and other animals here are much stricter and much better than in the USA. The meat quality is MUCH better here than most of what is available in the USA. It is so different that US meat products are not allowed to be imported into Europe because they do not meat the quality requirements. I would say they’re either lying and sourcing from Asia or they are using some kind of filler / chemical component that is inhibiting absorption combined with not testing enough to save money.

32. Pamela Payne says:

I’ve been trying to tell my doctor it wasn’t working. For months I was dragging, barely able to function. Then 3 months ago I went slightly hyper, so she dropped my dose from 60 to 45. My heart rate went down, but I still don’t feel great. I can’t afford any other NDT because none of them are covered by my insurance. I guess it’s going to be levo and liothyronine from here on out.

• Terry Schultz says:

Even though I have Kaiser insurance, I started using GoodRx online recently for less expensive prescriptions. Then I call to make sure I can get that price and pick up at a local pharmacy. Check it out if you haven’t, it’s free. Just print out the information with the number they give you (a card will arrive within a couple of weeks). You can look up by lowest price for your area, closest, etc., and it’ll give you prices for different pharmacies.