When Some People Don’t Get it Yet About Doctors…

Stop the Thyroid Madness has an excellent and active Facebook page. Daily posts reflect what we as informed thyroid patients have experienced and observed again and again.

Nutty information from some groups

And this statement in the graphic was made by someone on an important post. That post spoke about years of patient experiences on one particular subject which repeatedly counters what some doctors state.

And on one side, we agree about some social media posts!! There can be some pretty nutty information from some groups on Facebook or elsewhere. That poor information can come from members or the group’s owner or admins.

And as far as doctors, there can definitely be some who give brilliant information to us in their offices, or via a virtual appointment.

For example, my husband had to have his bladder removed last month. He was exposed to Agent Orange decades ago, and that toxin eventually wreaked havoc on him. That’s why I haven’t posted much here in months–it’s been hell for him with all his problems. And it’s been time-consuming for me as a caretaker, besides the grief from worrying I was going to lose him. And we have gotten good information from his surgeon as to how the surgery would be performed (before it was performed), and how long it would take him to recover.

But when it comes to thyroid disease and issues related, we as patients have sadly and repeatedly found too many doctors to be SORELY and BROADLY misinformed. It’s the very reason I created the patient-to-patient, Stop the Thyroid Madness movement nearly two decades ago.

And even to this day, too many doctors still keep us sick. They pointedly REFUSE to see, to learn from their patients.

So to those of you who might share the same sentiment as what was shown in the graphic, here’s information you badly need to be open about. Each point below starts with what doctors commonly believe or state, followed by what that statement or belief has done to millions of us as thyroid patients.

1) “The TSH lab test is the best way to monitor you.” To the contrary, doctors who go by the TSH and its erroneous “normal range” have been keeping us sick for decades, whether for diagnosis or treatment. Here’s solid information as to why.

2) “Synthroid or Levothyroxine, by themselves, are the gold standard of hypothyroid treatment, no matter the cause.” To the contrary, these are simply one of five thyroid hormones–T4. It’s a storage hormone meant to convert to T3, the life-changing hormone. But as we have experienced for decades, being on nothing but T4 has caused the vast majority of us problems. Here’s solid information on that.

3) “Let’s only do one of two thyroid antibodies to see if you have Hashimoto’s disease”. Guess what? One antibody they choose can be perfectly normal, and the other they don’t choose can be high. So you lose the important diagnosis. Here’s solid patient information.

4) When it comes to your Hashimoto’s disease, let’s just wait and do nothing to let it run its course. As stated similarly in the patient-to-patient book Hashimoto’s: Taming the Beast, that’s akin to letting a dog chew your leg off, but by bit.

5) “You should ONLY take thyroid meds on an empty stomach.” To the contrary, nearly two decades of reported experiences have shown that many thyroid patients still do well even with fruit, or veggies, or grains (if not gluten intolerant) in the stomach. Even taking meds with coffee and cream has seen patients report not being a problem if they are consistent, and watch their free T3 and free T4, and adjust as needed. The main things we avoid in the stomach at the same time are iron supplements, calcium, high fiber, etc, which can bind “some” of the thyroid hormones. Even soy mixed in with thyroid hormones at the same time can negatively affect absorption.

6) “T3 is dangerous as you get older.” We have definitely and repeatedly blasted that out of the water. There are groups for those who are older thyroid patients, and they report soaring on T3, just as younger people do. Sure, they may need to start low and raise low. But they do wonderfully. And guess what–heart and bones NEED T3. And T3 has repeatedly improved bone density, improved heart health, in patients!

7) “Your low TSH with T3 in your treatment will cause bone loss and heart disease. Thus we need to lower your meds.” That has been the most egregious and false belief by doctors ever, and has made us see a return of our hypothyroid symptoms. For one, it’s Grave’s disease and its resultant low TSH which causes bone loss and heart disease. Our low TSH is just a normal result of having T3 in our treatment and has NEVER caused bone loss or heart problems.

The Dark Ages of correct thyroid treatment

I could go on and on about how too many of our doctors can be in the dark ages about thyroid treatment and cause us immense problems. It’s worldwide.

So do know that in the area of thyroid disease, you can be making a huge mistake thinking you need to listen solely to a doctor without also listening to nearly 20 years of reported patient experiences, observations and wisdom in getting well. The latter is what this website and the books are about. And…it…has…changed…lives.

P.S. If you are reading this because you signed up for email notifications, DO NOT REPLY TO THE EMAIL. It will go nowhere for people to read and respond to. Instead, clicking on the title of the post, or going here, is where you comment.

Important notes: All the information on this website is copyrighted. STTM is an information-only site based on what many patients worldwide have reported in their treatment and wisdom over the years. This is not to be taken as personal medical advice, nor to replace a relationship with your doctor. By reading this information-only website, you take full responsibility for what you choose to do with this website's information or outcomes. See the Disclaimer and Terms of Use.

Write a new comment below

42 Responses to “When Some People Don’t Get it Yet About Doctors…”

1. Jen says:

Janie, I hope your husband is on the mend. I am so grateful for all the information you have gathered and provided over the years. My thyroid journey began 20 years ago, partial Thyroidectomy a year later (pathology report found cancerous nodule, endured 10 years of being under treated on T4 by an Endo who only went by TSH and FT4. Did the usual song and dance around all my symptoms. I hit bottom and started researching, found STTM, a functional medicine women’s practice and fired my Endo. Adrenal issues, cortisol issues, low Vit. D, low iron, RT3…I was a mess. Worked on fixing all that and switched to NDT and it was so good to actually feel human again. Well, the piece of thyroid they left has become multinodular and quite large. Had an ultrasound and report came back that there is a very suspicious nodule. My naturopathic Doctor sent referral to an Endo for a follow up and biopsy. I dreaded this appt. and it turned out exactly as I knew it would. They haven’t changed their philosophy at all. He implied Naturopaths are quacks, said the level of dose she has me on is malpractice (120mg NP thyroid) because my TSH is well below 1 (FT4/FT3 #’s are optimal for me). Said having a TSH so low will cause osteoporosis and heart attack. Said TSH should be between 1-2. Said NDT should not be used because it is has the wrong T4:T3 ratio. He wants to put me on synthetic T4 with Cytomel and bring my TSH to between 1-2. Also said I was taking too much D3 (5000/day) It’s very hard to keep my levels adequate. Did a quick 2 minute Ultrasound and said the nodule doesn’t look cancerous (not even sure he was looking at the correct nodule). He agreed to do a biopsy set for next week and also having bloodwork done. I was so upset when I left the office. The fight is on as this time I have an arsenal of research behind me. Plus 10 years of hell on T4 only and 9 years of feeling human and happy on NDT with a TSH well below 1. Why do we still have to fight to be listened to and treated to our symptoms, not just the outdated and incorrect labs and ranges. Ugh!!!

• I agree with your UGH. Doctors are clearly NOT LISTENING to patients. That is what constitutes malpractice to me, NOT being on 120 mg of desiccated thyroid (which underdoses the vast majority!!)

2. suze says:

My doctor agreed to let me go back to Erfa thyroid (I used it in 2012-2015 until it became unreliable). In the past year I have done poorly on my usual doses of the t4-t3 combo (112 plus 10) and remembered how well I was when using Erfa so long ago. I was thin, healthy, and energetic. Now I am weak, obese, and both tired and hyper all the time. I was determined to get off Synthroid. I thought, OK, in 6 years they certainly must have corrected the bad batches of Erfa. Finally I got them today, 30 mg which can be increased as needed, and will start it tomorrow. I note that it has no smell, when previously it had a definite pork smell (not bad, just pork). I also note the pills are shiny. I am hoping against hope that whatever they are doing, these pills will work. Does anyone who reads here currently use Erfa, and has it been good? This one expires 06/23. I plan to start with 30 mg and increase to an optimum dose. It’s a grand experiment. If it fizzles out because the pills are still bad, I’ll just make do with the synthetic again.

3. Rhonda Caywood says:

Hi Janie, I was reading the “History of desiccated thyroid as a grandfathered in, yet “unapproved drug” that was followed by this statement in red “But the FDA considers it an unapproved drug by 2006, sadly, in spite of earlier being grandfathered in.” I wanted to make sure I understood you correctly; in 2006 the FDA officially calls it an unapproved drug and removes the status of “grandfathered in”, is that correct?
    Currently, the FDA has a page of unapproved drugs: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/enforcement-activities-fda/unapproved-drugs. This statement is made: “The law allows some unapproved prescription drugs to be lawfully marketed if they meet the criteria of generally recognized as safe and effective (GRASE) or grandfathered. However, the agency is not aware of any human prescription drug that is lawfully marketed as grandfathered.”
    The FDA has also changed NDT’s category from Thyroid Tablets to Biologics, which further impacts NDT companies. In the warning letters sent to RLC Labs and Acella Pharma, this paragraph was included:
    reflect that your products are intended to treat a disease or condition. Therefore, your products are drugs as defined in section 201(g) of the FD&C Act [21 U.S.C. 321(g)]. Your products, which contain thyroglobulin (an alpha amino acid polymer with a specific defined sequence consisting of 2770 amino acids), are also biological products as defined in section 351(i)(1) of the Public Health Service Act (PHS Act) [42 U.S.C. 262(i)(1)] because they are a “protein” as defined in 21 C.F.R. 600.3(h)(6) or are “analogous” to a protein because the identified biological product (i.e., protein) component in these naturally derived mixtures is necessary for the activity of the product and contributes to achieving the intended therapeutic effect.
    Based on the information your firm submitted to FDA’s electronic Drug Registration and Listing System and the information collected during the December 17, 2019 – January 7, 2020 inspection, FDA has determined that your firm is distributing NP Thyroid (also in RLC Labs warning letter), a biological product, without FDA approval or a valid biologics license.

We encourage you to contact FDA’s unapproved drugs coordinator, Dr. Sally Loewke, at 301-796-0710 for assistance in communicating with the FDA on the application process for your unapproved biological product.
    So far, I have not found such a letter to Allergan for Armour Thyroid. By the way, AbbVie did purchase Allergan, however Armour Thyroid is still in the hands of Allergan. Allergan will now become an arm of Abbvie. https://www.instagram.com/allerganaesthetics/ The logo they are using says Allergan Aesthetics an AbbVie company, but I have no idea why Armour is included in that. If you use this website: https://www.abbvie.com/our-science/pipeline/armour-thyroid.html It tells you that Armour is being investigated. Recently Allergan was doing an in house investigation.

BACK TO: So why are Acella’s products still on the market and RLC Labs products are not?

Just thought I would pass along this information to you which may also be of benefit to your readers.
    Rhonda Caywood

4. Keri Miller says:

I don’t know what to do! My TSH is fine of course and no one will listen to me about my thyroid.! I have nodules, difficulty swallowing, tachycardia in the 120-140 range every afternoon, it starts at 1-2 pm with shaking. I also have low grade fevers, weight gain, night sweats, and my tibc is normal but my % is 7and my fe is only 25. I’m anemic with somewhat high white counts at times. I take iron and K but it doesn’t help my levels. What do I do? I’m getting really sick by the day…

• Hi Keri. Sorry you are going through that with doctors. And sounds like you may now have an adrenal problem causing those shakes.

As far as improving iron levels, here’s what we have learned to raise it: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/iron

Here’s the test to see what is going on with our adrenals: https://saliva-cortisol.squarespace.com/ And chapter 6 in the updated revision STTM book (blue gray background) explains how to treat the results.

And to find a better doctor is about calling around and around and ask if this or that doctor is open-minded about what you have learned (from STTM). Or ask in groups. You can save time and money by finding out ahead of time if the doctor is worth going to. Better ones are out there. We just have to do the work to find them. Hang in there!!

5. karen says:

i hope your husband is doing better terrible about agent orange one more reason to despise monsanto. thank you janie so much for all that you do and best wishes to you both

6. Lorie says:

Janie: I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s health struggles. I’m glad to hear both of you are doing better now. I’m in the process of weaning off my cortisol temporarily to do a saliva test to get an update on them. I’m currently taking only T3 meds. I would like to get to the point where I can keep my thyroid functioning by just taking iodoral. Is there anybody that keeps in contact with you that has successfully gotten off thyroid meds and just take iodoral and supporting supplements?

Oh and another thing, when Yahoo closed all it’s forums did the iodine and adrenal group die or did they get moved to another place?

• Hi. I know of one woman who swore that iodine alone was all she needed. But down the line, she finally had to admit that it wasn’t enough and she got back on thyroid meds. So perhaps the problem with people saying they are doing well on iodine alone is that they haven’t given it enough time?

• Check Facebook for iodine groups. You just have to watch carefully cuz some of them have complaints by people and some are good.

Stephanie Buist has a Facebook iodine group. There’s also the Iodine Workshop on Facebook. Miss Lizzy has a informational group.

7. Laura says:

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you so much for all your sharing of information regarding thyroid. It is truly life saving. I can’t begin to tell you the hell I’ve been through with severe heart palpitations and “hyper” like symptoms. Problem is….I have always been diagnosed hypothyroid and was managed well on medication up until two years ago. I’ve now gathered this changed due to a slow decrease in my iron levels (they are fairly low but not anemic i.e ferritin at 18 etc). I’m still in the testing phase of cutting back on my levothyroxine until I can get iron up. Here is a great JAMA article on some case studies of patients not tolerating thyroid medication until iron is optimal: https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(11)64193-1/fulltext

I initially suspected hyperthyroid due to the symptom profile I was experiencing and went to my GP for lab testing. To my dismay all labs came back normal. This is where I started the journey from hell. If you Google “Heart Palpitations nightly” hormone imbalances come up. So I chased this theory for over a year. I was put on bioidentical progesterone, told I had PCOS and was sent on my way. A year later I sought a second opinion and I do not have PCOS. I am very discouraged this doctor never listened to me or my lab work. She was convinced I had PCOS despite excellent insulin and hormone testing. Always get second opinions! However, the horrible panic and heart palpitations didn’t stop. I went to cardiologists, endocrinologist, ER visits for heart attack sensations, functional medicine wellness doctors and even explored Roemheld Syndrome and vagus nerve dysfunction with a GI specialist. I did it all but my labs and everything kept coming back clear and in great health. (Many docs didn’t test T3) I was falling apart internally.

The only time labs didn’t return normal was on NP Thyroid in 2019 and my Free T3 was through the roof. At the time Acella pharmaceuticals was under scrutiny for super potency of NP Thyroid so I switched back to levo. This helped but the heart palps returned. I struggled with insomnia, hair loss, weight loss, horrible anxiety for years. I almost had to quit working. I even started to experience myoclonic jerks at night falling asleep. They are horrible when you’re heart is palpitating. True terror. I remembered your info on iron and I had attempted to get my iron up a few months ago, felt mildly better, but the heart palps returned. I have now since gathered from the article I mentioned above that one might need to temporarily go off thyroid medication until iron is restored and then resume medication regimen. I believe this is currently helping.

I hope this info helps others. I never want anyone to experience the almost nightly terror of heart palpitations that I did. This is also an interesting article on how women’s hormones/estrogen correlate to thyroid binding globulin and why symptoms remit at certain times of the cycle: https://thyroidproblemsdoctor.com/thyroid-hormones-cycle/

I wish everyone the best in returning to health. If anyone has suggestions or have experienced the T3 pooling from low iron and successfully addressed iron and resumed medication please let me know! I unfortunately will stay with levo for now since all the desiccated thyroid meds sent me into a very big problem with T3 pooling. Thank you again for saving a life.

• Hi there Laura. T3 doesn’t pool from low iron. It pools due to a cortisol problem. Start with this informational page: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/pooling

• Laura says:

Hi Janie,
        Thanks for the reply! I guess I’m a bit confused. On https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/ndt-doesnt-work-for-me/ I read under reason number 2 that low iron could cause symptoms revealed by T3. Maybe I misunderstood the pooling hypothesis. Any thoughts on why low iron would cause extreme hyperthyroid like symptoms in patients that are hypo? Luckily my cortisol levels are all good. I had those checked thanks to the info provided on this site! I was curious anyone’s thoughts on the case studies link posted regarding patients with anemia who struggled with hyperthyroid-like symptoms starting hypothyroid meds. Once their iron levels increased they were able to achieve euthyroid with medication interventions and the heart palpitations, anxiety, etc that once existed on hypothyroid medication ceased. Any info is greatly appreciated to get myself out of these bizarre hyperthyroid spells! My labs reveal thyroid levels in range (albeit T3 is sometimes high). Thank you again for this wonderful wealth of information!!!

• Hi Laura. I can see why you were confused!! It was my fault. I didn’t write that section well, mentioning the cortisol and iron issue in the same sentence! So I didn’t separate how cortisol causes hyper-like symptoms, and low iron causes rising RT3.

Here is how I rewrote it all as an update (and THANK YOU for pointing this out):

2. Having either inadequate levels of iron or too low/too high cortisol.

If upon raising a thyroid treatment with T3 in it, such as a working NDT like Armour, or T4/T3, or T3-only, and we note having hyper-like symptoms, that can point to the T3 revealing a cortisol problem. i.e. cortisol isn’t getting to the cells well due to that cortisol problem and moving high in the blood.

Examples of “hyper-like” symptoms when raising T3 in our treatment can include one or more of the following: anxiety, shakiness, fearfulness, racing mind, simply feeling racy, heart palps, high heart rate, even insomnia or nausea, or any strange problems. They are all due to a cortisol problem.

Or if we have a rising or high RT3 when using a treatment with T4 in it, that can point to low iron (also inflammation or high cortisol).

In other words, it’s not a case of “everyone is different” or the need to return to T4-only, patients report discovering.  i.e. T3 isn’t “causing” our problem; it’s “revealing” our problem!T 4 converting to RT3 can also reveal the problem of low iron, inflammation or high cortisol.

• So Laura, I happily give you a GOLD STAR for mentioning your confusion. It sent me to reread it, and go OOPS, and rewrote it.

• Laura says:

Hi Janie, thank you for clarifying!! I appreciate that you took the time to help clear that up for me! I’m starting to think maybe my cortisol levels being on the lower end of each 4 point range might be the problem as well. Your summary of low cortisol symptoms with NDT or T3 medications is spot on. Eerily so. I can’t thank you enough for creating such a resource of information. I grew up having such a positive view of doctors and always being easily helped, but these last 2 years have truly lost my faith in medicine. It’s so disheartening. I just don’t understand why so many MDs won’t consider alternative or new understandings for complex disorders. Thank goodness for people like you and other patients who are willing to share their journey so others may hopefully heal as well.

• Laura says:

Hi Janie,
            Do you know why Free T4 would be elevated and TSH and Free T3 in optimal ranges on levothyroxine? I was on NDT for years but started getting what I suspect is T3 pooling (now I know that was likely related to low cortisol) and OF COURSE the endo switched me to levo. I’d like to work back to getting on NDT if I can find a doctor willing to do so. I just thought I’d ask what makes T4 high? Years ago when I was first diagnosed I was on levo and all labs were okay. Is this a result of being on T4 only medication? As listed above I’ve had quite a bit of problems with “hyperthyroid-like” symptoms and currently on T4 is on the higher end. It just got me thinking that maybe T4 is causing these hyper symptoms. (At one point when I was on NP thyroid my T3 went through the roof and since their medication has been recalled for super potency and likely my cortisol issues. Now that this is being corrected I’d like to work back to NDT). Thanks for any help you could provide me. I’m just trying to find some peace until I can find a doctor willing to prescribe NDT.

• Being on nothing but Levo simply doesn’t work for the vast majority. And a high T4 implies you kept raising to treat continued hypo symptoms, but again, it doesn’t work.

8. Debbie Shavitz says:

Janie: I was the one who was getting AFIB and since it kept getting worse, I listened to my doctor and got a cyroablation. So far, so good about stopping the AFIB. I have also been doing a little experimenting with T4/T3 meds for a month then testing;
    1 1/2 gr Armour Thyroid (doctor recommended because worried about very low TSH #) for a month; and then 2 gr Armour Thyroid for a month. Reverse T3 on the first option was way too high. The numbers on the 2 gr are the best but waiting for my reverse T3 number.
    What I want to check with you is my IRON numbers. I have been supplementing IRON for about 5 months to tweak my IRON up a bit in case that was causing AFIB, and watching my numbers. Now they’ve gotten a little high, so I need to know whether I should stop supplementation or reduce. I stop the supplementing 4 days before the test (and a couple days the week before then started again because test was postponed)
    % Sat 43 16-45
    Ferritin 66 16-288
    Iron Binding Cap 283 250-450
    Iron, Total 121 45-160

In Sept 2020:
    % Sat 37
    Ferritin 65
    Iron Binding 268
    Iron total 98

Any help is appreciated
    Debbie

• It’s too bad that doctors don’t understand the connection between being hypothyroid and Afib for most of us as thyroid patients. Even with Graves. And all are treatable if the cause.

To avoid being hypo, here is our goal: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal We also have to have good iron levels, the right cortisol levels. There is a possibility (not a diagnosis, just information to read) that you could have a methylation problems with an iron of 121. https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/mthfr

• Debbie Shavitz says:

So both my nutritionist and my doctor were saying it must be HYPER THYROID giving me the AFIB. So just to prove them wrong, I weaned myself off All thyroid meds and I still had AFIB. I strongly believe my problems started with the changing and the recalling of all the NDTs. So, you are saying that it is HYPO THYROID that can cause AFIB?
        Thanks,
        Debbie

• Debbie Shavitz says:

And BTW, I do have one copy of the C677T mutation (negative for the A1), so any supplements I take have the Metyl-folate and Methylcobalamin versions.
        I had added iron supplementation to tweak my iron numbers, now I will hold off since they have gotten a little high.
        I have been doing monthly changes of Thyroid Meds(kinds and quantities) with testing so I can see what my best option should be. Has anything changed over the last few months on which brand of NDT is the best right now?
        Thanks,
        Debbie

9. good doctor Rochester NY says:

Hi my 48 year old niece lives in Rochester NY and is showing signs of adrenal issues and or hypo issues. Need the name of good doctors in Rochester NY area please

10. Laurie says:

Thank you for this site! Is Dr Westin Childs information / product trustworthy? His site has great information that seems to line up with what you are sharing here. I will keep reading and reviewing your website and offerings.

Ive been on synthroid for 20 years and I’m struggling to lose weight even on 5 months of 1000 calorie diet. Ughh. I need to take this thyroid issue into my own hands obviously!

11. M. Klausner says:

I’m very interested but I find all this information very confusing and disturbing. Not sure how to process it all. Any suggestions?

12. Hi Janie

For 10 plus years I was stable and happy on Armour until it changed. I was put on NDT made by a compounding pharmacy . I did fairly well for years. The beginning of 2020 I had several surgeries. My husband informed me they couldn’t get the ingredients anymore and gave me naturethroid. I took it for over a month. I started having significant feet swelling, hair falling out, and gaining weight. My md did labs. There wasn’t any thyroid medication in those pills. It was filled with hormones snd poison! My labs were out of control. I’m now on 0.88 mcv synthroid and 10 mg t3. I have put on thirty pounds in a year. I walk daily, have never changed my healthy eating habits and do bands and stretching exercises and cannot lose ONE POUND. I was so healthy a year ago. I’ll get my labs done this week. My cortisol is just fine etc. I am thinking of trying Armour again. I plan on seeing a nutritionist as well. I’m miserable.

Take care of yourself and husband. Carole

13. Elizabeth Grant says:

Dear Janie
    i wanted to write you.to give ♥️ you recognition and encouragement ♥️ for all you have gone through helping your husband♥️, and getting him through his bladder surgery as a result of agent Orange. Im so glad he has come through it. ⭐🌟🇺🇸
    You are not only an angel to us, you are so smart,…no doubt you were instrumental in saving your husbands life. I send you prayers and love for you both and pray he will continue to get better. You deserve so many pats on your back!
    I’m sorry I couldn’t carry through on delving into our mutually agreed upon project of a much needed recall for smelly stinky batches of NP acella NDT. Thyroid.
    I had to have a knee replacement. Soon after we talked, batches and batchesof SMELLY NP Thyroid were recalled.
    Nature thyroid was I guess taken off the market completely. NDT has become a problem to get in some way now.
    Armour has gone up in price, one pharmacy here ( Denver) has tripled the price if it.
    Three a day for three months used to cost me about $100 at Costco. . Now one month of 3 60 mg a day costs about the same. Or more….$120.00 Some pharmacies.
    ♥️Well blessings to you dear Janie. 🌟⭐🌟You are so brilliant and talented. We are so lucky to have you and im sending my continued prayers for your husband’s health, and for you. XXOO

• Hi Elizabeth. Thank you for your sweet encouragement and support. Yes, I guess I’m part of the reason he’s still alive. I did stop the yearly recurring bladder cancer tumors 3 1/2 years ago. The VA wasn’t going to stop that other than damaging him further every time they went in to remove them, year after year after year.

Yes, it’s hell out there. Even though Armour still works today, the expense is ridiculous. But we do still have T4/T3 treatment that works if we get those frees optimal, thankfully.

14. Andrea Franklin says:

Hi, I’m 74 and just over a year ago had a hip replaced which was followed a couple weeks later by a serious anemia event requiring an immediate transfusion. For the past year I’ve been taking Thyrovanz 25 mg and it has fully stabilized all of my Thyroid numbers according to my wonderful Naturopath. My current concern is that I’m once again currently not able to maintain my Hemoglobin or Ferritin levels at healthy levels. I was taking Floravital away from my Thyrovanz and then switched to Slo-Fe and took it with my mid morning vitamins – including magnesium. My recent labs showed this was not working, Dr. recommended I take Slo-Fe by itself away from Thyrovanz and Magnesium. I’ve been doing this for two weeks and feel better already. Labs will be redone early April. My main question is: how soon after taking my Thyrovanz in the AM can I safely take my Slo-Fe? Thanks so much for all of your hard work and help.

• Hi. We have found it safe to take iron at ‘least’ 2 hours away, but some go anywhere from 2 to 4 hours.

By the way, as the body ages, stomach acid levels go down, which means you won’t absorb nutrients as well. Also, the release of digestive enzymes go down. So we can improve our absorption by taking digestive enzymes and betaine with the iron (and food). We also take as much vitamin C as we can tolerate with each dose, because that also greatly increases absorption.t

Second by the way, compare your free t4, free T3 and RT3 to what’s on this page: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal We see a lot of people on thyrovanz whose labs show they really aren’t doing well on it.

15. Susan Siens says:

Hi, Janie, before I go any further I wanted to alert you and your husband to a new documentary titled The People vs Agent Orange. I just found out about it and haven’t even watched the trailer yet.

As far as someone who would rather listen to a doctor than solid information on Facebook or elsewhere, I’m guessing the person quoted is not very old. I was healthily suspicious of doctors when I was young then I nearly died from undiagnosed/untreated hypothyroidism and its horrifying effect on my immune system. I am very nuanced about what I accept from doctors or other practitioners and what I do not. For example, my current PCP is good about hypothyroidism but was in a hurry to assume I have osteoporosis because I have no ovaries (I do not have osteoporosis due to several factors including treatment for my hypothyroidism) and was worried that I have colon issues due to decreasing hemoglobin. I educated him with Stop the Thyroid Madness, preferring to take iron supplements (many thanks for the Bluebonnet recommendation) to having a CT scan, and my hemoglobin is rising. And, please, everyone, do not suggest a colonoscopy. I have a very healthy gut, cannot lie on my side due to fibromyalgia, and do not want anyone sticking anything up my bum!

16. Liz Barry says:

If I listened to doctors I probably wouldn’t be alive today because I had such a bad reaction to T4 only Synthroid that I just couldn’t take it. The doctor told me I probably had colitis and also prescribed a $6 per pill headache meds for the violent headaches I was getting among other symptoms that kept showing up. I finally quit the doctor and quit the Synthroid. It took me a few years to find out about natural dessicated thyroid from a conversation I had with my sister. All that was over 30 years ago. It’s been very hard to find a doctor that understands and will prescribe natural thyroid as in Canada healthcare is govt controlled. My oldest daughter has recently experienced similar difficulties upon discovering her own Hashimoto’s diagnosis. Your website and now FB page have been a wealth of information to me for much of my journey so thank you very much for all your information from your extensive research

17. Shirley Say says:

I have tried many times to get T3 as I believe it is the only medication I lack. However I’m really scared about buying it from abroad. I’m 73 years old and been on Levothyroxine for over 30 years. I would value your opinion very much. Shirley

18. Mary Renken says:

If. If I had a doctor who would listen to me, then maybe, just maybe, I might listen to them. But that hasn’t happened in the last 20 years.
    But Janie’s site does what the Docs should. Listens, pays attention, says what’s been said. Helps us to make our own decisions about our healthcare
    without selling or promoting one size fits all attitudes.
    So, yeah. Rather here on FB than being ignored by a ‘DOCTOR’.