Thyroid patients and the Coronavirus aka COVID-19

We need to talk about the coronavirus, aka COVID-19.

Hardly anyone hasn’t heard about the new version of a Coronavirus, aka COVID-19, which is a novel and pretty serious virus that seems to have originated in Wuhan China. As I write this, it’s making a steady jump to various countries and people. (For constant updates past the time I’ve written this, go here.)

The Coronavirus is a unique virus with characteristics of its own. Though it and the flu are respiratory viruses, the COVID-19 can be more severe with its uniqueness.

• There is no immunity towards it because it’s new.
  • The infectious rate (how easily you catch it) is probably higher than the flu.
  • The death rate of coronavirus is slightly higher than the flu, even if small percentages overall.
  • COVID-19 can be spread through the air via saliva or mucus particles even after an ill person is no longer around you.
  • Infected people can be around you, infecting you, without any symptoms, as it can take up to two weeks before they have symptoms.
  • Some are lucky to have no symptoms, others have a mild version, but others can get quite sick from it.
  • It’s simply far too easy to get infected if you are not careful.
  • Our medical systems may end up stressed by all this if predictions of infection are correct.

Just today, March 3rd, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) came out with some interesting facts, some of which I chose for below.

• There is now a total of 90,893 reported cases of COVID-19 globally, and 3110 deaths.
  • Outside China, 1848 cases were reported in 48 countries. 80% of those cases are from just three countries: the Republic of Korea, the Islamic Republic of Iran and Italy.
  • 12 new countries have reported their first cases, and there are now 21 countries with one case.
  • It’s spreading. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • To keep this post up to date, this.

How are some reacting to hearing about the coronavirus?

• “I’m not worried.”
  • “It’s only a small percentage of people who are dying.”
  • “I’m young and healthy. Who cares.”
  • “It’s no different than the flu.”
  • “Meh, it’s overblown.”

But is it possible that we as thyroid patients may need to take the coronavirus more seriously?

Whether with autoimmune Hashimoto’s or non-autoimmune causes of hypothyroidism, we might have reason to take this a bit more serious. Why? It appears having the coronavirus can be more severe if there are other preexisting illnesses. I see no proof of this yet, but what if thyroid patients are more susceptible to a more serious reaction to the coronavirus if one is underdosed on thyroid meds, on a poor treatment with T4-only, have an adrenal issue, have a stressed liver, are gaining in older age, or have any other issues related to your thyroid problem? Then comes those with Lyme, mold exposure, or any other diseases and conditions which are a stress.

Coronovirus symptoms

There seem to be some key symptoms (after an incubation period up 1 to 14 days) in the early stages:

• Fever
  • Dry Cough
  • Loss of taste or smell
  • Fatigue, then as it progresses….shortness of breath

You might get a runny nose, sore throat, aches and pains. More mild cases are like having a cold.

If it progresses and on the mores serious side, one might see liver stress, kidney stress, and for a few, this can lead to pneumonia and damage to organs from an overreactive immune system. For those with autoimmune diseases, using LDN might be key.

Positive strategies here and now for all thyroid patients possible facing this virus

First and foremost, this is NOT the time to overreact or panic, even with the presentation of facts above or on the internet or social media. Instead, this is the time to implement all sorts of great strategies to give you a sense of power!

elderberry, for those without Hashi’s or autoimmunity
  • Wash your hands thoroughly after touching anything in a public place. Wash your hands again and again all day.
  • Don’t eagerly reach out to shake someone’s hand right now. Fist bumps rock right now.
  • Get rest now. Support your sleep. Take naps. De-stress. Find times to laugh. Gentle yoga. Etc.
  • Stock up now with healthy foods for your home.
  • Buy some 60-80% alcohol based wipes and keep them in your purse, pocket, vehicle. Use them liberally on door handles, public tables, anywhere you go.
  • See if you can get a THREE MONTH SUPPLY of thyroid hormones and/or any other prescription meds. If you can get it, might be wise to have T3 on hand to counter the fact that this could cause RT3 to go up. If you canNOT get it, taking good liver support like Milk Thistle can help lower RT3. We add some iron to the Milk Thistle.
  • Work on supporting your adrenals now to counter stress. There are good adaptogens out there. If saliva revealed a need for cortisol, get optimal on them. Chapters 5 and 6 in the updated revision STTM book explains it all.
  • Having optimal Vitamin D is stated to be important for a good immune function. Many of us have to take 10,000 IUs to get ours up. Most of us are shooting for 60-80 in certain ranges. Many add K2 to it.
  • Dr. Brownstein mentions vitamins A, C and D, plus iodine, as supportive of immune function.
  • Consider all sorts of good supplements! Elderberry (gummies, capsules, liquid) is known to have a strong anti-viral component! Most recommendations are taking the recommended amount on the bottle or box and taking 4 times a day. Watch antibodies, just in case, if you have Hashi’s. Vitamin C is stated to be highly antiviral. Zinc is stated to be highly antiviral. Astragalus is stated to be immune supportive, but do your research if you have Hashi’s. .
  • There are also interesting immune function supplements out there to consider. Beta Glucan 1,3D is one–it’s expensive. Look up cheaper sources, if need. Do your research on it. But if you have Hashi’s or autoimmune diseases, might want to check your antibodies to make sure it’s not causing a rise. It doesn’t in everyone, like the gal with Hashi’s who has been on it a year with no rise in antibodies. So just keep an eye on your own.
  • Check out this article about using Quercitin.
  • Check out this article about using Melatonin to counter the inflammation.

You can also join the discussion here on Facebook. 🙂

There is NO WAY I could fit everything in this blog post. This is just a summary.

If you have heard of other great supplements to help, tell us about them with a link.

If you find good non-scaremongering info, you are welcome to post it in a comment. Keep it POSITIVE and supportive.

This is NOT, NOT about your strong opinions in a comment or the strong empty opinions in other groups. Keep your comment verified.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS FROM AN EMAIL NOTIFICATION SIGNUP (below), DO NOT respond to the email. No one sees it. Click on the title of the blog post to get directly to the blog, and do your comment there.

Important note: STTM is an information-only site based on what many patients worldwide have reported in their treatment and wisdom over the years. This is not to be taken as personal medical advice, nor to replace a relationship with your doctor. By reading this information-only website, you take full responsibility for what you choose to do with this website's information or outcomes. See the Disclaimer and Terms of Use.

Write a new comment below

69 Responses to “Thyroid patients and the Coronavirus aka COVID-19”

1. Joanne

Is there any connection between being hypothyroid and getting persistent eye styes. On 65mg of WP. Thanks in advance.

2. Nick G.

Hello, my wife was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a couple years ago and had a full Thyroidectomy and she’s currently on 100 mcg levothyroxine. I was wondering if she can take elderberry vitamins? I’m not sure if being hypothyroid is considered an auto immune disease?

3. Mary

Hi – thank you for this information. I am taking new thyroid medications & vitamins to try to improve my hypothyroid symptoms & lab results. The doctor recommended daily exercise, which I’ve always needed to have energy & feel alert. Do you have any suggestions as the gyms are closed? I also have a foot injury that limits walking & not certain if mask needs to be worn for walking? It seems as if some amount of aerobic exercise staves off some of the symptoms that can be a part of hypothyroidism, such as low mood & energy, etc. Sadly I’m also being harassed, the stress of which makes symptoms worse. Thank you & please stay safe.

4. Esther

Hello, not sure if it has been asked. I had my thyroid removed in 2016 and have been on levothyroxine. I did not do RAI for other health reasons. Do you think people with history of thyroid cancer are more prone to getting the Covid19 virus. My second question is if I had thyroid cancer history can I switch my medication to a natural one like armour?

5. jeannie

hi jamie
    just purchased your book and the information is invaluable to me and many others with thyroid problems. A massive thank you. After 30 years of being dosed with levothyroxine which was recently reduced from 100mcg to 75mcg taking me into hypothyroidism I have purchased THYROID S NDT from Thailand.
    In preparation, working toward using NDT I am presently working on getting my damaged adrenals sorted so was about to do cortisol saliva test but I am not sure if I should stop taking ALL supplements before I go ahead with the saliva test.
    Would be most grateful if you could advise me as the whether I need to stop taking supplements prior to saliva test?
    I am in a bit of a panic and feel like time is running out for me as I am 68……I so need to experience feeling normal after 30 years of sheer hell after thyroid was removed in 1992 due to cancer.
    sincere thanks Janie
    Ps I am based in the UK and plan to buy Armour from US in the future but was put off by any postal issues that may arise due to Corona visus

6. Patricia B McGee

All ready beginning to hear that the raw ingredients are beginning to be unavailable (Pharmacies-Walmart saying this) for Armour and other similar meds.

7. Carrie Morgan

Just found this and love your blog/comments. However…I am confused. You suggest Astralagus yet in a product search I read this: “Astragalus might make the immune system more active. This could worsen the symptoms of auto-immune diseases. Avoid using astragalus if you have any of these conditions.” Comment or advise? TY

Hi Carrie. STTM is speaking to all causes of hypothyroidism and the poor treatment we all face with medical professionals, not just about autoimmune Hashi’s patients. But your comment reminds me to add that Hashi’s patients need to do research about astralagus–thank you for reminding me. It’s the “might” that is the crux and confuses us all!! For example, there are opinions that Beta Gluten could stimulate, yet research says it modulates, not stimulates. Ah me. And we actually have a report by one gal with Hashi’s that has been using Beta Glucan for a year with no rise in her antibodies. But with astralagus, I think it’s wiser of me to mention to research.

8. Jeanne

This is not related to Coronavirus, but have to share my disgust at the absolute price gouging by Armour (Allergan? ) My doc absolutely doesn’t want me doing the synthetics as I have failed them repeatedly over 32 years. She asked me to try Armour, which my Oscar insurance will not cover, and just picked up 30 day supply. I take 240 mg of NP, so she gave me same dosage of Armour and 30 days with a good Rx coupon was $108 dollars!! 😱😡. That is #*$% criminal! A 90 day supply was $283! Ok, rant over.
    Anyone switch from NP to Armour notice the need to lower your dosage after switching? Just curious.

It’s probably wise, when changing over to anything, to take slightly less, give it a few weeks and do the free T3 and free T4.

• Jeanne

Janie, not sure how to slightly lower the dosage, I take 2-120mg tablets. Even cutting one in half is a big drop… Actually today I have felt no different, no heart palpitations or rapid pulse… I may feel different after a few days, but fingers crossed ! Thanks for your response.

• Jeanne

Hi again Janie! Just reporting back that I am still doing great on the same dosage of Armour, as I had been on with NP. Im not sure if it is the enforced extra rest from social isolation allowing my adrenals to heal, or a combination of good medication and rest, but yippee! Feeling great! Now to get my insurance to cover the obscenely expensive Armour….maybe a class action suit for price gouging would get Allergan’s attention.. probably not..

9. Dr. Jim Pugh

Coronavirus: older people who contact the virus get gravely I’ll ie. Pneumonia,fever etc WHY?
    Although their bodies are weaker , their immune system is much stronger than Young people due to the years of fighting foreign invaders : when invaded by viruses the immune system goes haywire trying to fight it off . The hydroxychloroquinine suppresses the inflammation which ameliorates some of the symptoms but it Is with the Azithromycin, preventing duplication of the virus and further contagion,They both act synergisticly to much better get the older people back to health.

10. michelle scott

i have no thyroid and are on meds for life with the coronovirus does it mean i am immunecompromised

Not necessarily compromised, but your immune system will be even better if you have T3 in your treatment and get the free T3 optimal.

11. Dr, Jim Pugh

Hydroxychloroquinine has had remarkable success with Coronavirus patients in suppressing inflammation caused by a compromised autoimmune system ( Hashimotos) .
    Developed in Germany in 1934 and produced by Bayer and has minimal side effects if any.
    Effective for lupus , ruma

12. Dr. Jim Pugh

Hydroxychloroquinine has had remarkable success with Coronavirus patients: suppressing inflammation caused by compromised aautoimmune system.
    My daughter Tiffany,, would benefit hugely from the severe Hashimotos that is causing her witnessing dire mental incongruities also

13. Christine

Hi Janie-
    I was set to do my dutch test (just for sex hormones) and my saliva cortisol test this weekend since we will be stuck at home. I have held off because our wedding is coming up and stress with that etc but I am thinking of doing it anyways. My question is I have been off supplements for 2 weeks and no caffeine today or working out but yesterday I completely forgot and took a zicam with eldberry. Does that mean I shouldn’t do the saliva test now? Thank you!

14. Shauna Holifield

Saw where Eldeberry is increasing Cytokines which is helpful with the flu but not good with CoVid 19. I will find website and repost it.

15. sharon calcott

I am concerned that we have an overactive immune system and that the same thing can course organ failure, so this can put us in a much higher risk?

16. Hadassah

Janie , I’m very grateful for all that you do on our behalf . Your Amazing . My concern is now that all the NDT’s are no longer reliable and being that I’m an TT patients . I was on Levoxyl and at first Naturethroid switched to NP . I was looking into Sigma T3 . But it has corn starch as one of the fillers which I don’t do well with. Would you know if the Mayne brand former Paddock T3 is considered a good T3 and work well too ? Cytomel is very prohibitive .
    Thank You so much for all your hard work and being a Great Advocator For All Of Us .

Do you know that Armour is still working for most? Yes, it’s expensive, but at least it’s working.

As far as Mayne, it seems to be a crap shoot. Some say they are doing well; others are not doing well with it.

• Hadassah

Thank You So Much Janie . We are really being squeezed out of our options with our thyroid meds . It’s very concerning . Our lives depend on them .

17. Aysel Trummel

I had my Thyroid tested and the doctor said it is normal. I had all the classic symptoms of hypothyroidism with the exception of heat intolerance. My free T3 is 2.87 free T4 is .88 T3 is 1.5 THS is 1.310. My total cholesterol is 330, Triglycerides 254, HDL 71 and LDL 208. I had my sex hormones tested and my Testosterone is 35, high, they did not test my progesterone. I went to see a speacialist who said it is my age, 66.My issue is that I cannot loose the extra pounds unless I eat 500-800 calories per day, not enough. I feel miserable and uncomfortable in my own skin. PLEASE HELP.

Aysel, lab results have nothing to do with being normal. And nor does this have to do with being 66 years old. Doctors can be as brainless as boards about this. It’s very clear that ranges were developed with volunteers who were ALSO hypothyroid or other thyroid issues.

You didn’t include ranges. They are always needed. Compare those frees to what’s on this page: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal You appear to be very hypothyroid. RUN from doctors like that. RUN.

Cholesterol goes up when we are hypo.

• Heather Collazo

I had been symptomatic of being hypothyroid for about 5 years, yet my labs were all within “normal” range. I am a RN, and knew wholeheartedly something was wrong with me, especially once the brain fog and forgetfulness kicked in before 30yo of age. The doctors ran test for everything under the sun, told me everything was normal, yet they wanted to put me on oral birth control and anti-depressants (without a mental health eval). I disagreed and got a second opinion from a colleague who was an internist and listened. She opted to do a thyroid ultrasound, only to discover that I had a multinodular goiter with a dominant nodual. That by the way on the 2nd biopsy turned out to be cancerous. I keep beating their statistics (not in a good way) and failing their textbook knowledge. I had 9 great years in remission after a total thyroidectomy and RAI and then my body started going wacky again. VA endocrinologist didn’t listen. I got a second opinion 9 months later only to find out that my thyroid cancer returned and that I am no longer treatable. TRUST YOUR BODY!!! Find a HCP that will listen!

18. Nicole

I need help please! I was diagnosed w/hypothyroidism for 8 years ago. My recent TSH was .56 and currently taking 88 mg Synthroid. I have struggle for the past 2 years after having my first son. I have a lot of muscle aching, weight gain & joint pain & gone to like 6 different doctors and say my range is normal but I know is not normal. I eat a healthy and workout even with my struggle. What can be done? I wish doctors would understand and listen to us. This disease may lead to so many conflicts.

• Lisa

Hi Nicole. I’m not a doctor, but I’ve been living with Hashis and hypo for 10 years. Synthroid never made me feel better. I started feeling better once I convinced my doctor to switch me to Armor Thyroid, which took about two years and trying several other meds. I still couldn’t lose weight and had joint pain and other symptoms you mentioned…until I quit eating gluten and dairy altogether. I eat healthy, mostly quality meats, veggies, fruits and gluten free grains. I eat very little sugar, which means no sodas either, even diet soda is a poor food choice. I exercise, but only moderately. In less than two years of eating gluten and dairy free I’ve lost almost 30 lbs. with no other changes in lifestyle or exercise. One thing I really noticed is that my joints don’t ache and feel swollen like they used to, especially my knees and I have enough energy to do anything I feel like. This is a lifestyle change, not just a diet. People say they can’t stop eating those foods, but I say I can’t live feeling unhealthy. I take all the vitamins that are recommended too and I believe it helps.

19. Erika Barcenes

Hi Jamie so I have been on nature throid for about 4 years I take 5 grains I have always felt great and optimal but on this last batch all of my hypo symptoms came back. I spoke to Dr.Melnick about whats going on with the meds and he said what do want to do. I told him inalways following up on recent comments on the blog and he asked me what you recommended lol he said your work is amazing you’ve done a really good job on providing information. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart I would have never learned about you if it wasn’t for a thyroid patient when i use to work as a home attendant that recommend for me to read your book.

20. Judith Stringer

New Low T symptoms on Greenstone T3 only. Using that brand since July 2019. Now heart palps, lower temp, more fatigue, brain fog, I was not ever feeling very good. Cannot find that note but I think you suggest SigmaPharm? My rite aide cannot get it, where do you? I dose T3 only 20 mgs 4 x day. Was Best match so far for steady temps, bp. Cortef 45 mgs, still too high but cannot get lower after that terrible lowering of T3 two years ago with heart palps, hi bp, increased cortef. Endo ok with that, but T3/cortef treatment by primary who gets what I need for T3, I swear those other docs almost killed me, terrible feet veins lasting from that experience.
    T3, FREE 3.7 2.3-4.2 pg/mL Normal
    IRON, TOTAL 48 45-160 mcg/dL Normal
    IRON BINDING CAPACITY 370 250-450 mcg/dL (calc) Normal
    % SATURATION 13 16-45 % (calc) Low
    FERRITIN 83 16-288 ng/mL Normal
    Chronic anemia, IV’s don’t hold and last round half dose Venofer made me ill, take ferrous gluconate every other day, bod does not metabolize iron well, weird bruises, genetics. Should I take iodine? Lugols 1 drop in 8 oz water over 24 hrs cured rumbling/gas/must have been bacterial. Continued complex issues with genetics. Have high cobalt from hip implants. Hi homocysteine, B6, low B12 (Japanese studies say should be 800). NAFLD. Do you know what leather feeling bottom of feet skin is from? Always wear shoes, not from dry skin. Thanks Janie.

Your situation may be more about that seriously low iron instead of the Greenstone. Looks like you need to get a doc to dig deeper as to why you don’t hold iron, etc. You don’t have Celiac, do you? It can affect your ability to absorb nutrients. Or anything that could damage the villi in your intestines.

• Judith Stringer

gluten free for many years, no longer have antibodies TPO, PPO. Gluten big culprit in autoimmune thyroid. I also have AI Gastritis, don’t absorb properly so tried IV Venofer to no avail. It is my genetics. I cannot afford to pay for someone to coach me that way so I work to figure but so far no good. Grand has the same. Some say don’t push it, your body does not know what to do with it. Must iron I guess. Floradix again. I will search here for Sigma Pharm, their suggestion. Where do you get yours Janie?

21. Kim

Hello,
    I have been a hypothyroid diagnosed sufferer for 25+ years. At one point of a 10 year span I was on levoxyl, in which I only grew sicker and more symptomatic as time went on. Completely stopped the med all together. Went on Naturethroid, no help there. Then got off all med just to let the body detox off meds that were clearly hurting more than helping.

Fast forward to now, would like to start over with a new protocol, and really need guidance. My TSH is through the roof and I’m sure my Rt4 Rt3, etc are all out of whack too. I’m reading the horror stories on the bovine supplements, but also reading the most highly suggested combo is the the synthetic t3 and t4 combo. Could someone please elaborate on the brand or what that is exactly? Thank you for your help!

Hi there. It wasn’t about detoxing off meds. That’s why your TSH is now so high. It was more about being on meds that work (unlike Naturethroid, WP or NP Thyroid), plus being optimal on those that work (like Armour, T4/T3, a compounded NDT that works). Please learn this, too: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal

• Judith Stringer

have you tracked to see if t4 causes hi Rt3? that is my issue so must take t3 only. I use Greenstone, Janie recs SigmaPharm. Takes time and patience and someone who will test your Ft4, Ft3 and Rt3.

22. micaela restano

I am following the blog post. Thank you Janie to keep us posted on this.
    I am wondering for us patents who are on HC ( Hydrocortisone) if we feel flu symptons, we should stress dose, starting with 2,5mg with a max of 20mg per day if the symptons are bad right? is there any other thing we should do when stress dosing? Id like to be informed and understand how to proceed in case we feel we could have CoronaVirus. Is our immune system lower than the normal if we are on HC?? Thank you so much for your time.:)

23. Connie Pressman

So I understand the issues surrounding iodine, but my question is how does RAI affect those of us with Hashimoto’s. I had my thyroid removed in July due to cancer and they recommend RAI, but I don’t know if it’s worth it?? My endo dr says now that I’ve had the thryoidectomy, I no longer have hashimoto’s.

It’s a hard call with RAI. Some people wish they had never done it. Probably go to a thyroid group and ask for opinions.

You may still have autoimmune tendencies. And some still see antibodies.

24. Jeri Marks

So I don’t know how we know if Elderberry is ok for us or not if we have Hashimotos. I used to use it before I read not to use it.

Like so many times, it’s not totally black and white as opinions can make it. There are a variety of Hashi’s patients who have reported they did fine on it.

25. Mary

Would colloidal silver be helpful with combatting viruses?

Yes, but might need to be careful if you have an active MTHFR mutation or active methylation issue–either which “may” cause the silver to go too high in your body.

26. Victoria N.

I’ve already had the flu, thanks to someone at work who came into work sick and shared with everyone she came near. I even had the flu shot, but this was a different strain that I wasn’t protected against. At any rate, I’d recover from the COVID virus if I got it. I’m more concerned about my elderly mom. Anything more than a cold could easily kill her.

27. Debbie

The best overall advice I ever heard was from a Harvard MD who was speaking about Inflammation and the Gut.
    As I remember, the advice was “this is not an exact science…use your body as a living laboratory. If you feel better with symtpom improvement, then it’s right for you”. Keeping in mind the possibility of herx or detox symptoms which have sometimes made me feel worse short term, implementing this practice has worked for me for years.

28. Linda Welker

My family uses fresh, raw garlic to keep ourselves immune from severe colds and flu. I don’t know where I got the info from, but we have used it for years. I peel one clove, finely chop it and let it sit for at least 10 minutes to develop stickiness. Then scoop it on to a spoon and swallow the pieces with water without chewing it. I take garlic early in the day so it doesn’t keep me awake at night.

29. Mark

Glutathione is by far the the body’s most potent master antioxidant which doubles as an antiviral and may be effective against lipid envelope viruses like Coronavirus:
    IV glutathione pushes and IVC (IV vitamin C) drips (IV clinics across the country are more popular now than ever and are likely to see a spike in demand for nutrient IVs) are the gold standard in terms of bioavailability and are superior (in my experience) over oral administration. IV also avoids any interaction with with the gut.

Liposomal delivery of glutathione and ascorbic acid is next best if IV administration is not possible (some claim liposomal delivery is superior to IV):

Alternatively, and if one cannot tolerate the possible detox reactions from IV glutathione, one can boost endogenous GSH with precursors (i.e. supplementation with NAC, selenium, cysteine, glycine, ALA, etc.).

30. John Dunlap

I tried to put this whole thing in perspective on my own blog. I’ll summarize here. COVID-19, like other coronaviruses, has an incubation period of 7-14 days. That means an absolute minimum of seven days went by before Chinese health professionals figured out there was a new virus going around (why they thought to look for something that causes the exact same symptoms as the flu and over 200 other coronaviruses is up for debate). Given their top heavy, bureaucratic government and cultural factors, we can assume that several days or weeks were wasted in argument over the need to tell the rest of the world. Modern air travel moves millions of people and distributes millions of tons of goods all over the world every single day. Therefore, it’s a safe bet that the virus had circumnavigated the globe several times before it was identified in China, let alone announced to the world.

Most people (in the Western world, anyway) don’t go the doctor with a cold unless it gets really bad. When they do, physicians seldom order any tests to identify the specific virus. Bottom line, that bad cold you had last week could easily have been COVID-19, and you have absolutely no way of ever knowing. Because comprehensive testing is not being done in most nations, the ‘experts’ cannot know how far the virus has spread, how infectious it is, or what the mortality rate actually is, though it must be very low or there’d be bodies all over the place here already. What they are giving us is an educated guess. What little is known points to it being a threat mostly to malnourished, impoverished or otherwise immune compromised populations.

So why all the media hysterics? My personal opinion is that fear porn has become big business. The “infotainment” media uses it to keep you watching. Since the bird flu scare, it has become Big Pharma’s cash cow. And politicians have always used it to herd the public (think mandatory vaccinations in this case).

With modern transportation systems, there is no such thing as an early warning when it comes to pandemics. We should stop letting the fear mongers scare us, eat an organic diet, get enough rest, make sure we have clean water, and do whatever else we can to strengthen our immune systems, all the time. It’s the only real defense we have.

John Dunlap

• Jeanne

John, you have read my mind! A couple months ago everyone around here plus my sister in another state we’re all getting upper respiratory virus , that seemed incredibly contagious. We just laid low for a few days feeling crappy, nothing bad, and got over it.
      Hindsight, and being an RN for 25 years, told me this very well could have been Coronavirus and we just never knew it!

31. Mary Renken

Well, a doctor I work for (she’s an oncologist), said if you can’t get wipes and whatever, to use cheap vodka.
    I laughed and motioned drinking it; she said to wash hands and wipe surfaces with it. I imagine she’s right.
    Though drinking it might help with the anxiety…
    (Sorry, but I’m needing a little levity these days.)

32. Melanie Schrand

Hi there, whenever I get a feeling of a cold or flu coming on, I take the Pure Synergy Rapid Rescue and I do the loading doses. It has a lot more in it than just echinacea and elderberry. As soon as I take the loading dose for 2 days, any sign of the flu completey went away. I would suggest everyone keep this on hand as it is the only thing that worked for me. My husband did not take it and his flu symptoms lasted for over 2 months. I never got.

33. Caroline Nowak

Thank you for the suggestions. Elderberry and other supplements like echinacea are not recommended for people with autoimmune conditions because it stimulates the immune system therefore stimulating autoimmunity.Also, iodine is very controversial for hashimoto’s patients and I would not recommend supplementing unless under the care of a doctor. Vitamin C and zinc are good though!

Hi Caroline. The interesting fact is that not all Hashi’s or autoimmune folks have reacted badly to Elderberry. So it’s a matter of each individual deciding if they want to try or not.

Second, iodine is only controversial from those who don’t understand it. There a quite a lot of Hashi’s patients who have soared on iodine, seeing it alone help lower their antibodies. That’s always been impressive. Others have had problems due to the detox that iodine causes, which can cause a rise of antibodies.

SO it’s definitely not black and white.

And guess what? Vitamin C will convert to oxalates–the worst thing for someone (like me) who already has high oxalates. So there’s another factor against saying it’s good. Kinda crazy, huh??

And zinc will cause a miserable detox of high copper is one has the latter.