In honor of 2009, a year we hope to see bold changes in the medical system, Stop the Thyroid Madness presents the Fifteen Most Annoying Phrases From the Mouths of Doctors. (Note that the word “Armour” has been used for simplicity sake; any prescription-grade desiccated thyroid product can be inserted there.)
Here’s raising our New Year’s stemmed glasses to change!
15) I’ll see you in eight weeks.
14) Here’s a script for [insert any non-thyroid medication to bandaid continuing hypo symptom]
13) The free T3 lab test is not necessary.
12) Your symptoms do not warrant a thyroid medication.
11) You’re tired because you are [insert any label like “a mother” “menopausal”, etc]
10) That has nothing to do with your thyroid.
9) I can find nothing wrong with you.
8 ) You need to eat less and exercise more.
7) Your TSH is too low.
6) The TSH test is [insert any positive description, like “a reliable marker” or “sensitive measure”]
5) I do not believe in Armour.
4) Armour is [insert any negative adjective/description like “unstable” or “hard to regulate”]
3) You’re depressed.
2) You are hyper.
….and tah-dah, the #1 most annoying phrase that comes out of the mouth of a doctor:
1) You are normal.