Even 1 1/2 years ago, over 2000 professionals from a variety of disciplines called the US Congress to end Fluoridation of water, citing it’s toxicity and the deception of putting it in our water. You can read their call to action here.
The importance of this call lies in each of us with thyroid disease, since fluoride is a KNOWN inhibitor of our thyroid function.
As of Feb. 9th, 2009, the Courier Post Online of South Jersey has an excellent article on the problem of our extreme exposure to fluoride. This article cites the following facts:
1) 53 US cities rejected fluoridation during our last November election
2) Ingested fluoride can damage kidney patients, bones, the thyroid gland, high water drinkers, and children’s teeth
3) Studies linking fluoride to cancer and lowered IQ are plausible.
4) In 2007, the British Medical Journal indicated that fluoridation never was proven safe or effective and may be unethical.
5) Health Canada says the government should cut the recommended amount in drinking water, encourage the use of low-fluoride toothpaste by children and have makers of infant formula reduce levels.
I personally made a point to stop using any toothpaste with Fluoride a few years ago. I also supplement with iodine, since fluoride displaces iodine levels. Sadly, I still love iced tea, which contains fluoride. But YOU can avoid more fluoride exposure by finding a way to get off anti-depressants and osteoporosis medications which contain fluoride, and that is especially possible when you are optimal with Armour desiccated thyroid in presence of strong adrenals or optimal cortisol supplementation.