2020: the Year of Desiccated Thyroid Recalls

Recalls include NP Thyroid by Acella Pharmaceuticals and both Naturethroid and WP Thyroid by RLC Labs

Hello everyone. I’ve been delayed in getting this important blog post done about recent recalls because my dear husband has had some serious health issues off and on for two months. And we are still dealing with them. But I had a recent chance to churn out this blog post. Read the information below, and then you will see questions that I hope some of you can research and post about. ~Janie, hypothyroid patient and site creator

Let’s start with the facts: 2020 has seen three (!!) American-made natural desiccated thyroid recalls. And this outcome fits what a certain body of patients have been reporting as far as new problems they encountered on these three products.

If you are reading this via signing up for the email notification, DO NOT REPLY to the email. No one will see it. Click on the title of the blog post which will bring you directly to the blog post. Comments are at the bottom

The voluntary recall of NP Thyroid by Acella Pharmaceuticals, LLC

ABOUT ACELLA and NP THYROID: Acella Pharmaceuticals, LLC is a specialty pharmaceutical company. Its desiccated thyroid called NP Thyroid came out around 2010. NP had always received good reviews via patient comments in various groups, including the Stop the Thyroid Madness Facebook page. Patients have often happily compared it to the older Armour, i.e. it had a sweet taste and could be placed under the tongue. Success with it seemed to be high as long as patients had good iron and cortisol, and got their frees optimal

PATIENT REPORTS BEFORE THE RECALL: A few concerning reports started coming in by a body of patients in the Summer of 2019. My own husband was one of several who saw symptoms come back. One big one was fatigue in the late afternoons, which is a common hypothyroid symptom. But more negative reports strongly picked up in the Fall of 2019 that NP had changed. Patients who had done quite well on it were now experiencing problems. Reported were that hypothyroid symptoms came back, and/or lab results had gone downhill. Patients also reported a “cat pee” or “kitty litter” smell (even after a 2020 coating). Some reported that NP burned their esophagus’ or stomachs. During this time, Acella stated to patients that they were getting their porcine powder from Europe (similar to what Erfa of Canada stated a few years previous).

THE RECALL: The first official FDA-announced recall was announced May, 2020. It referred to super potency for the 30mg, 60mg and 90mg tablets. I can’t find it at the moment, but the Acella website stated this recall was about NP made in late 2018. ***Another recall announcement in September 2020 refers to the 15mg and 120 mg tablets, AND THIS TIME, referring to sub-potency. Sub-potency seems to fit what patients have been reporting for a year now. as far as return of symptoms

MORE INFORMATION TO READ (also do a search for “NP Thyroid recall”):

The voluntary recalls of Naturethroid and WP Thyroid by RLC Labs, Inc

ABOUT RLC LABS and ITS TWO DESICCATED THYROID PRODUCTS: RLC Labs cites an 80-year history, which is impressive, with a dedication in “improving the lives of others and will continue to be at the forefront in the field of hypothyroid treatment”. Their two main desiccated thyroid products are in the heading and had always been popular with, and appreciated by, patients.

PATIENT REPORTS BEFORE THE RECALLS: A body of patient reports of problems with Naturethroid first seemed to start in 2018 in various social media thyroid groups. This was after RLC’s two desiccated thyroid products had somewhat disappeared from pharmacies for awhile starting in 2017, then came back out. Example of reported problems once Naturethroid came back out ranged from a return of hypothyroid symptoms, and/or labs that went south or became odd, and/or the inability to raise it enough to remove returning symptoms. Negative patient reports about WP Thyroid came in more slowly and referred to similar problems.

THE RECALL: On August 25th, 2020, RLC announced the recall of both of their desiccated thyroid products due to sub-potency. This recall includes a total of 483 lots of both Naturethroid and WP Thyroid in all strengths and within current expiration on consumer levels. RLC stated these products contained less than 90% of the labeled amount of liothyronine or levothryroxine (please note that though pharmacies use the implied synthetic names for T3 and T4 there, desiccated thyroid is NOT synthetic)
Here’s the official September, 2020 FDA announcement of this recall.

MORE INFORMATION TO READ (also do a search for “Naturethroid recall” or “WP Thyroid recall”):

UPDATE: AND NOW A LAWSUIT: You can read about it here.

What have hypothyroid patients been moving over to

From many patient reports, and in spite of changes in the past, Armour desiccated thyroid has still worked well, say patients in a variety of groups. This has been especially true, say patients, if they get their free T3 and free T4 optimal, and have the right amount of iron and cortisol to do so. Sadly, it’s not the soft, sweet NDT it used to be, which patients loved. But it is working, say many patients. Please share this with your doctor.

Patients are also reporting doing well on both synthetic T4 and synthetic T3, and getting optimal. The same holds true with T3 alone if one gets an optimal free T3. For those using both T4 and T3, we can compare to what is in one grain of many desiccated thyroid products: about 38 mcg T4 and 9 mcg T3. So for two grains, it would be 76 mcg T4 and 18 mcg T3. And etc.

There are over-the-counter bovine thyroid products to try after these recalls. Just pay attention to whether some are driving RT3 high (studies show that when cows are slaughtered during certain seasons, their RT3 amount can be higher) or watch out for bad batches as revealed by labs going south. This would be good info to share with your doctor. PLEASE NOTE: I have seen too many posts which are basically advertising for an OTC product. I won’t approve those comments.

So far, it appears Australians are lucky, as their prescription based, compounded NDT seems fine. The same may be true of some European-based brands. If there are others, please comment below.

Questions, questions

Readers, if you can find solid information on each of these questions, and hopefully with links, post the info as a comment.

1. THE AMERICAN SOURCE OF PORCINE POWDER: What happened to the US source of porcine powder from American Laboratories in Omaha, Nebraska, and on which patients seemed to do well on? Why did it stop being available, forcing new sources of porcine powder for some pharmaceuticals?
  2. PHARMACEUTICAL SECRETS: Why is there not more transparency from pharmaceuticals for a medication we depend on for our very lives?
  3. A “EUROPEAN” SOURCE OF PORCINE POWDER: Why, when two pharmaceuticals have admitted to moving to a “European” source of porcine powder (Acella and Erfa in Canada), are WE not allowed to know WHAT European source? Where are OUR rights as consumers of this important medication?
  4. THE CAT PEE/AMMONIA SMELL OF PORCINE POWDER: Why are so many porcine powder products today now having a “cat pee” or “ammonia-like” smell…when they didn’t used to have this smell?? That even includes some compounded desiccated thyroid products!
  5. DOCTORS AND T3: Why, as a certain body of hypothyroid patients are changing to synthetic T4 with synthetic T3, do we have to deal with doctors who are deathly afraid of T3? Do they forget that a healthy thyroid also releases direct T3? So the big question is: WHAT is going on in their medical school training and continuing education that makes practitioners so pitiful in their understanding of the use of direct T3?

I want to invite YOU, the reader, to do some research and comment on these questions since I am bit occupied with my husband and his health issues right now. BUT I WILL NOT APPROVE EMPTY CONSPIRACY COMMENTS (such as “Big Pharma is trying to take away our desiccated thyroid.”). What has happened to us, then these recalls, is concerning, but not necessarily an evil plot!

Or you can comment on your personal experiences with these recalled products. Some weren’t noticing problems, but they later came back and said they were. Others seemed to report problems from the get-go.

Let’s talk!!

Important note: STTM is an information-only site based on what many patients worldwide have reported in their treatment and wisdom over the years. This is not to be taken as personal medical advice, nor to replace a relationship with your doctor. By reading this information-only website, you take full responsibility for what you choose to do with this website's information or outcomes. See the Disclaimer and Terms of Use.

Write a new comment below

195 Responses to “2020: the Year of Desiccated Thyroid Recalls”

1. Katherine says:

How i know it is not working after 7 weeks of switching to Armour is that I am tired all the time, my hair is falling out, my joints hurt, my mind is fuzzy and it is very hard to focus. Dosage of Armour is the exact same as the Nature Throid I was on. I have not changed how I take it. I felt great on the NatureThroid before it was recalled. I don’t feel anything close to that now. I can’t get back in to my endo until next year. I had to literally beg to be switched to Armour and its not working.

2. Lorraine roberts says:

I was telling my doctor for six months that I felt my systems returning and she laughed at me and I am on armor thyroid I take three 15 mg pills

3. Lianne Simon says:

Hope your husband gets well soon.

I switched to Nature-Throid when Armour first became difficult to get. NT has worked well for me, though my adrenals suck. Unfortunately, I’m down to a ninety-day supply, and my pharmacy says they can’t order NT yet. I’ve considered Erfa, but it’s more expensive than Armour. So I’ll try for Armour or I’ll wait. Fortunately, I can survive on 1 grain rather than 2, though I’ll be tired all of the time. My doctor’s sympathetic, but doesn’t seem interested in my taking Cytomel. I had Meniere’s while on Synthroid, so that’s not an option. If I can find the time, I’ll do some more research.

Hope y’all are doing better by now.

4. Shannon Daughtry says:

I read both of those pages and wrote notes to prepare for my conversation with my doctor. Very helpful! If I supplement with iron will that help? Basically, if I can increase my iron. Then will I be able to control my RT3 and keep it from climbing? I’m not sure I’m understanding it right.

5. Bailey Suzanne says:

I take my cat pee pill every morning. I’m grateful for it. It’s the first time I’ve found a doctor who will prescribe anything that’s not synthroid. For the first time in a decade my joints don’t hurt. Still need afternoon nap though. I go back and get retested soon. Will ask about the recall. Baby steps I guess 🙄

6. Linda Floyd says:

I have not felt well for at least 8 months. I’m exhausted, fall asleep in the chair constantly. Gained 18 pounds with no changes in my diet. So depressed, unable to think, fell like I’m forgetting simple words. Hurting everywhere, pain beyond pain. Got a letter in the mail September 2020 Nature Throid recall. Get my labs done TSH 10, she didn’t run my T3 or T4. Given a new script NP Thyroid 90 mg, one week taking it, my heart is pounding, palpation, anxiety and feeling so lost. Is there any suggestions of what do do?

7. Karyn says:

Thanks for your reply, Janie. I’ve finally had a chance to read the Optimal page and I’ll discuss it with my doctor. We’ve been considering switching me to Levothyroxine and a synthetic T3, but maybe I should get the other tests run you mentioned before I switch meds. Every time I switch meds it throws my body for a loop and I lose more hair (my body’s go-to response for everything!), so I’ll stick with Armour for the moment. I notice, though, that Michele takes her Armour sublingually. I never have (bad taste), but I have, in the past, broken the tablet in half and taken 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. Do people have better results by splitting the dose? Per the pharmacy, I’m to take the whole tablet in the morning on an empty stomach, so that’s what I’ve been doing.
    Karyn

• We’ll all hope that your doctor understands that what’s on the optimal page is based on now 18 years (as I’m writing this) of our combined experiences and observations in not only feeling better, but also maintaining that feel good. 🙂

Armour used to taste and do better for letting it dissolve under our tongue. But just the saliva enzyme affect on breaking it down may be key, too. Swallowing works too as long as we avoid it mixing with iron, calcium, excess fiber, etc.

• Michele says:

Karyn, I had a chiropractor who was keen on chewing/breaking up tablets for the body to know what it was taking and then letting it dissolve in the mouth. I have always taken my NDT sublingually. When Armour originally changed their formula, I called the company and was told that they removed the glucose and added in some filler. I have spoken to many specialists who have said that some medicines need “sugar” in order to trigger them to work. So, I put my 120 Armour tablet on the bed table with a piece of xylitol candy (tiny piece) and put the Armour tablet in my mouth, bite down to break it in half and then wiggle it under my tongue and then put the hard xylitol candy on top of my tongue….they both take a long time to dissolve, so I do this when I wake up to go to the bathroom first thing and it seems to be working well for me. I’m about 5 weeks into the Armour and won’t test for another few weeks. I’ll let you all know. Also, sublingually allows you to eat foods that are no nos for hours if you swallow it due to having to be processed by the liver. Janie can you confirm that these things I’ve been doing for decades are true…. thanks.

8. Shannon Daughtry says:

I leaned about my thyroid condition about 6 months (10.23.2019) postpartum with my second child. My TSH was 56 but of course no other thyroid labs were run at that time. I didn’t realize I was having hypo symptoms the labs were run as a result of a lump in my breast (turned out to be nothing) I was prescribed Synthroid over the phone. I follow a very natural lifestyle in all things home, body, food, etc. and eat 100% organic with an emphasis on local high quality animal products. So, naturally I didn’t want to take any medication but soon realized that wasn’t best. I then asked for Naturethroid and had been taking 3/4 grain and saw a great improvement in my numbers (i had slowly been asking for more labs each time I became more informed!) I only found STTM after the Naturethroid recall. As Naturethroid was recalled my most recent numbers were (9.18.2020) RT3 11.3ng/dl, FT3 2.5pg/ml, FT4 0.95ng/dl, TSH 1.61, TbAB 17.3, AntiTpo 71, Fer 35.6, Iron 71, Selenium 250, Zinc 96 Based on what I have read on your site I am now in the “normal reference range” but not yet “optimal”. To throw a curve ball I recently found out I am pregnant (9 weeks). Then as I was about to try switching to Thyrovanz my Doctor went on maternity leave. So, I have been on Thyrovanz for 2-3 weeks and am feeling good. My new doctor is insisting on prescribing Armour and plans to test me in 6-8 weeks. She agreed to test right away instead of the 6-8 weeks…so we can actually see what the Thyrovanz is doing. I am wondering if you could point me in the direction of monitoring hypo numbers while pregnant (is there an optimal during pregnancy?) I want to make sure the baby is getting plenty and that I am still heading in the right direction with my numbers. And just any general information on Hashi’s and how to know the difference between postpartum hypo and Hashi’s. Also, your website is a godsend and I am so thankful for all of the work you do!!! I am looking forward to reading your books as well 🙂 Which one should I start with?

9. Lynn says:

I spoke with a compunding pharmacist today and she said the the porcine sold to compounders is a different source than the ones used for commercial products like Naturethroid and Armour. Has anyone else heard that?

Also, is low iodine a contributing factor to thyroid problems? My last test showed 43.8 ug/l with a range of 40.0-92.0. I wanted to also retest adrenals but it appears ZRT labs no longer ships to California. I used them in February so it’s odd. Any recommendations for another lab?

• Yes, it can be a different source, depending on where a particular compounder gets their source.. But some patients have noticed the cat pee smell from their particular compounded porcine. If that concerns you, might want to ask to smell their powder first. I personally would say no if it did smell like cat pee, but that’s me.

10. rachel says:

I’ve been on WP Thyroid for a while. (227.5mg) and my thyroid levels have been optimal. As there has been a recall (and other natural desiccated thyroid brands available have lots of bad fillers) I need to find a replacement. If I switch to bovine thyroid how do I dose to compare to the Wp thyroid. (for example Nutri-Meds brand) thanks!

11. I’m in London, UK, I have STTM books and was part of the group 6 years ago. Thanks to a comment in that group, about a paper connecting Levo with higher rate of breast cancer, I got the courage to abandon Levo when I found a 4 cm cyst in a breast. In a matter of only 2 months it disappeared – against having been told that it was going to grow if I didn’t allow the specialist to puncture it. I first sourced NDT from Thailand but I was scared, I ended up using all my savings to pay for an expensive doctor that ordered Armour. Its price has gone up 5 times this years, so less than a year ago I went back to public health and Levo. Since yesterday I have burning pain in a breast again, and I’m scared. I don’t know where or how to source NDT again, could anyone help me? Thank you.

• It doesn’t necessarily have to be NDT. If you can get T3 added to that T4, it will also work, and getting optimal. https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal Some in UK report using this: Metavive Pro 60mg

• waveylines says:

I am also in the uk. I just want to comment on the link to breast cancer. I was diagnosed in 2014 with bc after being on a ndt for over 10yrs. It was a very aggressive form but aggressive treatment sorted it. In my case not linked to being on Levothyroxine. Havent heard of that link before.

I cotninue to do well on NP. I did have a problem with two 100 bottles of 60mg in their recall for super potency. I had to alternate my full dose with a slight reduction the other day. My pharmacist told me the super potency was minimal and THEY (pharmacies in uk) would not recall the tablets for such a small difference so they didnt. Luckily only had two 100bottles of the recall batch. Once I knew about the recall I decided to mix with ok batch & was fine. I take four 60mg tablets per day. So took one of the super potency mixed in with non recalled batch tablets. Worked well. Ive been ok on batches of NP since. I am very much affected by fillers and dont do well on ndt that contains mycrocrystaline (spelling!) that is in Armour. In the past I have tried synthetic including levothyroxine and liothyronine but didnt fare well on them, no matter the dose. I had to split the liothyronine into three doses per days to try to level the spikes that I experience. I only felt on an even keel when I moved to a ndt. So not keen to go back & the NHS will fight this in any case as they are charged ridiculous prices for liothyronine so have more or less banned it.
      So for me I have to find a way to make ndt work.

• MP says:

Angeles Reyes,
      Please read “The Iodine Crisis” by Lynne Farrow. She explains the need for iodine and how to use it for breast health.. If you need more information David Brownstein, MD, has excellent books on iodine and thyroid as well. You will find help with this information.

12. Michelle Sarchiapone says:

Ugh. I switched over from compounded T3/T4 to Armour after having to stop taking WP…and my thyroid is TANKING. I cant stay awake at all. I feel TERRIBLE. Is Armour still working?? Doesnt feel that way to me!

• Yes, it’s still working. Sounds like you are underdosed. Read this information on where our free T4 and free T3 need to be to not be underdosed: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal

• Michelle says:

Hi Janie! I’m taking a higher dose then I was on any thyroid med I’ve ever taken In the last 16 years.. 3 grains and I’m still struggling. Feels like I’m barely taking anything. Not sure what to do. The last time I had this much trouble was during the NP debacle. I need to wait another week to test but going higher could skew me hyper.

• AmyLynn says:

In response to Michelle: are you splitting the pill in half/dividing the dose, & chewing up the Armour before swallowing with water? Tried adding in a small amount of t3/liothyronine with it, like 5-15mcgs? The reason I ask is that’s what it took for it to finally work for me! I have a pill cutter from cvs & I cut it right down the middle, where the line is. Now I’m feeling it. I’m on the same dose as you (3 grains, 180mgs.) Worth a try!

13. Sarah says:

Do you know anything about Tru Thyroid? I found an online source in .5g sizes. I am trying to find an alternative to Thyroid-s that is not available until maybe next year.

14. Laura says:

I have been on Armour Thyroid for 10 yrs. – had a brief stint with Synthroid which caused a ton of anxiety. I’ve had very few adjustments that had to be made taking 75 mg (60 & 15) daily. TSH have been in normal range. Wham bam over a month ago I started feeling so lethargic, unconnected. Had covid in Mar., in July started with serious hair shedding which is finally improving. Just had TSH done which came back at 14 – OMG off the charts high, T4 low at 4.8. Will see Doc on Tues. but meanwhile she had me up to 90mg. Anyone else seeing wild high range like this? Other high TSH symptoms I have are feeling freezing cold, gained 5 lbs., vision isn’t clear, feeling depressed at having no energy …..

15. Joanne says:

I wanted to recommend a certified compounding pharmacy that I could post here and allowed by Janie. She is located in Capitol Heights, MD ( Maryland ). It is called Quality of Life Pharmacy and Health, Inc. Her name is Terri and her contact information is 301-324-3715. For those of you that are sensitive to fillers she uses Loxoral as a filler which is necessary to mix the T3 and T4. She is kind, understanding, and easy to work with. She uses porcine from a reliable source. The address is 8900 Edgewood Drive, Capitol Heights, MD 20743. Her email address is qol_rtp@msn.com The meds come in a capsule form and she is able to convert your present subscription over to the compounding formula. Good luck.

16. Kari Arnett says:

Was on 2 grains fo NT and due to the recall my doc switched me to Armour and the equivalent to what I was taking. Since the switch I’ve been having heart pounding and it feels like it’s skipping beats which is terrifying. Is there something we can do to mitigate these side effects? Take iron or something idk? I’m at a loss and my doctor doesn’t seem to care.

17. Susana Mora says:

IM ON ARMOUR AND HAVE A HARD TIME FINDING SOMEONE IN SAN DIEGO GETTING ME TO BE OPTIMAL ON MY T3 AND T4. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

18. Miriam Weinstein says:

The cost of Armour is disconcerting to say the least. It costs 3x as much as Naturthroid, and I doubt there is any objective reason besides greed. I did notice that a double strength costs the same , so if your prescriber and you are willing, buy double strength and cut your tablets in half.

19. Allana says:

So I received my new RX of Naturethroid in August. Didn’t start taking it for two weeks later in September and immediately noticed how sick and fatigued I felt. Ok I thought I had COVID-19! Went and got tested and the test was negative.
    So saw on Facebook that Naturethroid had been recalled, so then called my thyroid Dr. and she changed me back to compounded T-3andT-4 which I took before Naturethroid. Within a day I felt better. Hummmm so now I have a 90 day supply of Naturethroid that I cannot use. Well now what do I do?

20. Michelle says:

I started on NP over a year ago with cytomel. In the last year I gained 20 lbs which is big for me. I have been feeling hypo as far as depression and fhe medication simply stopped working. Prior to NP I was taking armour but due to gluten issue I can’t take that. I took naturethroid briefly after the stop and it just made me sick, something changed. Previously i had been on all of the different meds, but now I feel like none work.

21. Carmen says:

Omg I received a call from my old pharmacy in Ohio 9/5/2020(Costco) I moved to Fl end of June and had my script filled a few days before at Costco in FT Myers they never said a word! Finally found a Dr here and of course it takes for ever to get a appointment for bloodwork. I had started experiencing all the horrible hypo systems again back in May I thought it was stress from getting everything ready for our move. My muscle pains leg craps are unbearable. Heart pounding all they crazy stuff that goes with it. Gained 30 lbs with no dietary changes and trust me unpacking moving in 100 degrees heat and humidity. I should have lost weight like my husband and son did. Not to mention the hair thinning again. I hope and pray we all can get relief again. Most likely I’ll be out back on synthroid, at this point I’m trying anything she suggests.

22. Janene says:

I’ve been on NP for a year to a year and a half. I have felt terrible and now wonder how I’ve managed during that time. After the recall (I received a letter from my pharmacist) I called and asked my doctor if she’d switch me to Armour, which she has done as of October 1. Over this time of taking NP I’ve had terrible foot pain ( plantar fasciitis) plus feeling fatigued in mid-afternoon. I have asked my doc repeatedly to do bloodwork for T3 & RT3, which she refuses to do, saying that is only done on hyperthyroid people not hypothyroid. I know I need to look for another doctor but am very skeptical as I seem to get the same response from all the others, you just need TSH that’s all!!

23. I was taking Nature Throid, and thought I was doing okay, until it was recalled last month (9/2020). The letter from the Walgreens pharmacy said the dose was at sub potent levels. That’s when I realized that maybe the way I had been feeling for a few months was due to hypo symptoms (inflammation, pounding heart, tired). My primary care provider wrote a prescription for NP Thyroid, 1 grain (60 mg), after I did a little research and found that my pharmacy carried it. I didn’t know about the NP thyroid recall last year. Has NP Thyroid been reformulated? Regarding its flavor, I find that it tastes slightly sweet, and yet has a strange after-taste, almost like how cat pee would taste (although I’ve never tasted it). I still feel a bit hypo however. Do you have any recommendations for a good thyroid specialist in the Albuquerque, NM area, someone familiar with NDT?

24. Michelle says:

I am convinced there IS something going on with Armour thyroid. I have been very stable on the same dose of this medication for a couple of years. Less than one week of taking my new monthly prescription, I started having significant hair loss and other hypo symptoms. The pharmacy says nothing has changed. I am just finishing this prescription and will have labs performed next week to see what is going on with my levels. I’ve never had a rapid change in symptoms like this.

• Eric says:

I have had problems with Armour for over a year now. It’s not the same at all. I took it for over 10 years and I just gave up on it. I used to take 4-5 grains. Now 1 grain is too much.

• Eric, what has happened to you may not be the fault of Armour. It sounds like you could have a cortisol problem, and/or low iron. Have you tested your RT3? Have you done a saliva cortisol test like this? https://saliva-cortisol.squarespace.com/

• Eric says:

All my other labs are optimal. It’s definitely the Armour. If it works for others that is great but I won’t touch it again. After thousands of dollars spent on medical bills because of that stuff no thanks. I will be sending it for testing; it’s not even close to what American Labs was producing as a raw ingredient.
          As I have stated if NDT still works for some of you then keep getting optimal.

• Patricia says:

Michelle, same here only i was on NP. Within 3-4 days of starting a new refill last Aug 2019 all symptoms came back. Upped my dose a bit & got the smelly pills. Had to switch to Synthroid & T3. It’s been hell the last year.

25. Jenny N says:

Because of the nature-throid recall, I have started Armour at the same dose as the NT. The Armour feels stronger and was wondering if I should be tested after a couple of weeks of being on the Armour. When I was on the NT, I started having heartburn in just the last month. I never really had it before and don’t know if that is a symptom of being under medicated? Thanks so much.

26. JrBor says:

Sighs…what a bad year I picked to switch from Levo to NDT. Seven months of not being able to get stable on any of the doses. It seemed like the sample bottles I got from my Dr were more effective than what I got from the pharmacy. The 15s I got from the Dr were plain white no smell and the pharmacy was speckled with smell. I experienced being overmedicated and then filling a new script and ending up with myxedema face and severe painful carpal tunnel. I tried Nature Throid but it felt like there was barely any T3 in it. My Dr made it seem like I was the problem and told me to go to a specialist but I knew it wasn’t me because I’d take a 15mg and it would seem stronger than a 30mg or the 90s didn’t seem as strong as the 60s. I’m now on Unithroid and the generic Greenstone pharm T3. I was on a higher potency generic T4, which walmart dropped, for a long time and none of the brands are close except for Unithroid. I’m going to wait 6 weeks and see where my T4 and T3 falls. I”m not sure if I want to add T3 onto my usual T4 dose or drop the T4 and add a lot more T3.

27. Elena says:

I am sooo pissed about this , for months i felt like crap with ALL of those side effects with my heart pumping so hard that at some point i thought i was gonna have a heartattack ! My doctors thought i was crazy telling them i have hyper symptoms while being hypo while doubling my dose .. Sooo angry and upset ((((( could ve been just fine taking any other form of thyroid … Any good doctors in Miami who know what they are doing ?

• Gina says:

Hi Elena,
      I absolutely relate to your abnormal Heart symptoms and all of your frustration with having Hyper symptoms even though you’re Hypo. 🙉
      I’m going through very similar crap.
      My heart never beats regularly anymore since I had to switch to NP. It will flutter really fast and then totally stop for a couple of seconds, then do a couple flops, stop again (I mean there’s crickets, no heart action) and back to the flutter. And omg, that horrible pounding is scary af like it’s just going to explode or I’ll have a heart attack or complete failure. I have another new symptom as well- this excessive insane HOT sweating. I mean it’s pouring down my face, back of neck, between my tits, fuming out of my scalp, just everywhere. And I’m just so so HOT all the time since going on the NP.
      I’ve been taking NT for over 5 years, it’s been fine, feeling pretty good, had energy while slowly working my way up to 3 grains per day. Then these sketch recalls happened, right after my very first scrip of 3gr. NT, not even getting one refill. So my Dr switched me to NP. That’s when all these unbearable symptoms began.
      My labs (sans thyroid) have always been normal and for the most part, I’m very fit and healthy.
      But most recent labs (Aug) came back with my Free T3 only 1.5 & Free T4
      only 0.3 and TSH 5.830. Reverse T3 is 11 (good?)
      But now I have low iron and low cortisol. After reading about that, I’m seeing a lot of people saying that if you’re low on those two things, NP and WP don’t work well for them.
      So I’m at a loss right now. I decided to stop taking the NP two days ago. Never suddenly stopped a med like that but my heart is more important… and this sweating inferno- forget about it. Doing my hair and makeup? Not gonna happen. Help?

28. Joanne says:

Hi Janie,

I have switched to a compounding pharmacy in my home state as I was on WP Thyroid which has been recalled and I also received a letter from WalMart advising me of the same. Is it permissible to advertise a compounding pharmacy in your state? I wanted to ask first before I did so as I know you preview all comments first. She is good and so far mine is working.

• It’s fine as long as it comes from a genuine patient/cusomter like yourself.

• Elena says:

Is Armour (NP .30mg ) done correctly at the compound Pharmacys ? And can I transfer my prescription from walgreens to compound to be made correctly ? Thank you for any response

• Hi Elena. Not sure what you mean. Armour is a prescription NDT that still works. NP is a prescription NDT that’s been recalled and patients reported problems for over a year now. They are different. But of course you can ask to transfer your prescription.

• Elena says:

I asked my doctor for armour thyroid and what i got was the one that was recalled , i dont know why that happened but walgreens told me its the same thing as armour thyroid ( angry face ) So obviously its not the same thing and now i need to figure out if that was my doctors mistake or walgreens just decided to switch my meds ..Did this happen to anyone else ?

• Michele says:

Elena, this happened to me at Walmart and I was prepared for it. When I got the call it was ready to be picked up, I asked exactly what I was to come get. They said NP thyroid. I said the doctor specifically ordered brand name Armour… I was put on hold…she came back and said you are right, but we don’t have Armour so we’ll have to order it. They did. I’ve been on it for 2 weeks and so far all is going well. They try to substitute as they figure all natural thyroids are the same…they aren’t as we all know.

• Elena says:

Thank you so much for your reply , Michele ! Now I know it was Walgreens that messed up ! Gonna have them fix it and start taking the good stuff )))) Armour worked really good for me before , thats why i was so confused feeling crappy taking NP … smh

• Rande says:

I also was prescribed Armour and Walgreens gave me the generic. Did not do well on the generic, and had the dr make sure the prescription stated name brand, no generic. I always check now.

• Elena says:

Honestly I had no idea that they can just switch it at Walgreens when its clearly written “Armour” by the doctor .

• Katherine says:

I was on Nature Throid for over 10 years and felt great. Endo supplemented with just a small bit of levo to get T4 where she liked it. Renewed my prescription for naturethroid in July and was hypo again by mid August. I didnt know what was going on. Found out about the recall at the beginning of Sept and begged my doctor to change me to Armour. Same dose, same everything and it’s not working. Been on it a month and feel absolutely like I’m not on anything at all. I am tired all the time, even can barely get out of bed after sleeping 9 hours, hair dry and falling out, cant focus, my mind is fuzzy. For those that say Armour hasn’t been touched by the recall just wait. I’ll bet they are next. Armour does not work at all for me. My only choice now is the synthetics which my endo has wanted for me all along. Once I change I know she will never let me switch back.

• Katherine, Armour has been working. What happened that made you feel it’s not worked for you? How much did you get up to?

• Katherine says:

How i know it is not working after 7 weeks of switching to Armour is that I am tired all the time, my hair is falling out, my joints hurt, my mind is fuzzy and it is very hard to focus. Dosage of Armour is the exact same as the Nature Throid I was on. I have not changed how I take it. I felt great for a couple of years on the NatureThroid before it was recalled. I feel nothing even close to that now.. I can’t get back in to my endo until next year. I had to literally beg to be switched to Armour and its not working.

29. Beth says:

I have heard that you should not take your thyroid meds the day b4 you do your bloodwork. Is this correct. So, test on a Friday am, I took no meds on Thursday. Does it change the results of your tests?

30. Anyelina says:

I was one of those who took NP thyroid recalled pills. I was on NP thyroid 2 grains then switched to 3 grains, (taking 2 tablets of 1.5 grain). I was doing good for months until the last couple of months slowly I started to feel some of the symptoms on top of gaining weight. I asked my doctor to please increase the dose a little bit. What did she do? she said that it’s way too high and I need to switch to 125mcg Syntroid + 5mcg of Liothyronine. Does this make any sense? I’m taking now almost of what I was taking! Shouldn’t I be taking at least 25mcg of T3? Now I feel horrible, I almost passed out today of exhaustion and can’t stand the migraines and brain fog!
    I feel best when my TSH is close to zero! now how am I going to find a doctor who doesn’t prescribe focusing only on TSH but can prescribe the full thyroid panel including RT3? I have asked for this to dozens of doctors and they refuse, they say it’s useless and says anything, that only TSH it’s what matters.
    She said that I’ve been taking too long higher dose and that it’s “shutting down my thyroid” and I need to take iodine on top of this new dose. I ordered I-Thyroid and see how I feel but still need to take higher dose of T3. I still have left NP thyroid and also Levothyroxine, Liothyronine in different doses. I would have to self-medicate until I find a doctor who can prescribe all the labs and meds I need. Should I continue with NP Thyroid or switch to Synthroid + Liothyronine?
    I’m so angry and frustrated with this doctor and not able to find a good one who doesn’t focus only on TSH!! ugh! 🙁 Anyone can recommend a doctor in South Florida? Any advice is appreciated!

• If we compare to the amounts of T4 and T3 per grain of NDT, we can get a better idea of what we need with the two synthetics. One grain equals 38mcg T4 and 9mcg T3. Two grains equal 76mcg T4 and 18mcg T3. And so on.

And this is our goal with labs, which can take more than the latter amounts for ‘most’, we’ve observed.: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal

• Lucy says:

Been in the same boat with my mom for years and still cannot find a doctor that will listen and do testing and prescribe as I have followed this site and have learned so much after her thyroid was removed in 2013 my mom has been miserable and so sick if you find and info i would appreciate it. Goos luck also.

31. Shaina says:

Hi,
    I was on Nature-Throid 65mg M/W/Th and 81.25 T/TH/S/S. Everything was great for years. TSH was best between .7-.9 T3/T4 always mid range. With the recall my TSH fell to 2.56 before I knew what was going on. I’m on day 3 of switching to a compound T3/T4. I’m having a lot of anxiety. Not sure how much is really from the medicine and just me being afraid of the change on top of the massive anxiety i was already having the past six months from covid among other things. How likely is it I’d have more anxiety with a compound that is the exact same dosage i was taking on Nature-Throid? Help!

• For what it’s worth, there’s a strong possibility you may have been underdosed all that time and didn’t know it. Thus, there’s a possibility you have an adrenal problem that is being revealed by the stronger compounded. Here’s information about adrenal issues: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info

• Shaina says:

Well I’ve definitely been underdosed for at least six months with the sub-optimal levels in Nature-Throid as my levels fell from .7-.9 in March to 1.1 in July, then 2.56 in Sept. I was thinking the same that this is a reaction to getting back on track. The question is how low do i go with the amount and for how long will it take to get back up to speed. Will talk to my Dr about adrenal/cortisol but my life has changed dramatically in favor of those doing better with the COVID as I stopped all work travel and have only been working from home. Both my husband and I did that and we both lost 20lbs due to significant increase in sleep, exercise and not pumping the cortisol all day long sprinting through life. I think the change in medication is triggering anxiety, just the thought of it, while also having a bit of anxiety from the medication itself. Today i tried only one pill (equiv of 32.5) and i’ve had less anxiousness this morning). So maybe i just need to be on a lower dose for a while to adjust to getting back what I lost from Nature-Throid the past 6-8 months. So angry to have to deal with this during the COVID situation – straw that broke the camels back!

• Shaina says:

And final point I’ll add with the 20lb weight loss since March, I’m down to 107lbs so I’m guessing that is also contributing to it being too much, in addition to why it took longer to notice the sub-optimal dosage. The dosage i had been on that was working for the past four years I was around 125lbs. There are just way too many variables at play here. I just need to start fresh!

32. Judy says:

I have been taking Thyroid S for years because my Dr wouldnt prescribe a NDT. I have been doing fine on it, but it’s production has stopped since covid 19. I have heard that there is a new NDT available called Tru Thyroid which is sold in 1/2 grain tablets. I’m wondering if anyone has tried?

• Jay says:

Judy………I have NOT taken Tru but was interested and I have seen some reviews online so you could research the reviews.

Also, can I ask you about Thyroid-S? Did you get the 1,000 count bottles? It is my understanding a 1,000 count bottle would last about 8 months(or more)……..did you notice a decrease in potency 3 months (or more) after you first opened the bottle?

Did you chew Thyroid-S or swallow whole?

Did you refrigerate or freeze Thyroid-S……since the 1,000 count bottle gives an 8 month supply or more.

Just asking since they claim Thyroid-s will be back in spring of 2021……and I have never managed a 1,000 count bottle before……100 is the biggest bottle I have ever had.

33. Robyn says:

I am so devastated by this recall and all the unknowns! I have no thyroid so it’s imperative I take medicine. I’ve tried all synthetic and non and found naturethroid is the only med that I have been stable on for the last 3 years. I’ve tried ordering from Canada just to continue and not have to go back to armour. Unfortunately Canada was recalled. I just want to know if naturethroid will bounce back or r we doomed.

34. Debbie Shavitz says:

I have been struggling since March with my NDT. Had been on Naturethroid for ever with no problems. Then end of 2018 switched to NP Thyroid. that didn’t seem to do much so switched to Armour thyroid about March 2020. Have been having cardio issues with irregular heartbeat and it keeps getting worse, and all I can figure is that it might have something to do with the Armour Brand? I have adjusted my iron to optimal. On Armour, my T4 and T3 appears optimal. But my cortisol is slightly high at all 4 times per saliva test and DHEA is very low. I keep trying different combinations of adaptogens, which are supposed to help either calming or giving more energy? And I am taking DHEA 25mg, now down to 10 mg.
    At this point, I just don’t know which way to go? I did talk to Acella this morning and they said they HAD recalls on a bunch of batches that were too much and some too little, but ALL is right now. So my choices are try the Acella, or try synthetic T3/T4? And I am going to stop the adaptogens for now.
    Any thoughts or directions would be helpful. My doctor is wiling to help, but all she came up with is some Adrenal Calm by Pure Encaps.

Thanks,
    Debbie

• Debbie says:

Thanks Janie. I did study the page. And it looks like the higher than normal cortisol could be the problem. So it means lower my NDT dose and fix my cortisol. I found information that Phosphatidyl Serine is very helpful in reducing cortisol and I had testing done about 6 months ago that said I was low on Serine and Selenium. I have been supplementing with Selenium, because I knew what that was. but I didn’t know the connection of the Serine to the cortisol. and also I need to increase my DHEA which will help lower cortisol. Not sure how quick I can get results, though. Would you recommend adaptogens too, or just try the above steps. These heart irregularities are quite scary and at times hurt my active lifestyle (hiking, biking, gardening all gives me head rushes and rapid pulses.
        BTW, thank you so much for answering my questions during your time of stress with your husband. I hope he is doing better.

Debbie

35. Larry says:

Hey Janie, sorry to hear about your husband, what illness does he have?

36. Marly D says:

Is there an App or a website that exists that offers a text alert for recalled thyroid medication? The Alliance for National Health does an awesome job of alerting their audience of bills that are being considered to stop compounding pharmacies from existing. If you prefer natural compounding pharmacy drugs to be treated, I recommend that you check out the anh-usa.com website to be kept informed of unreasonable bills being passed to make it a hardship for compounding pharmacies to keep their doors open. This website gives you a chance to easily contact your state representatives to oppose these unfair bills. Currently unreasonable bills have already been passed which make it very difficult for compounding pharmacies to stay in business. Some of the bills sadly have nothing to do with safety of their prescriptions, but they are solely in place just to make it difficult for the compounding pharmacies to survive.

37. Andrew Nelson says:

Wow. What a surprise. These guys became scumbags.

38. Michelle Sarchiapone says:

I was doing great on WP so this is a surprise. They replaced it with Westhroid which I am afraid to take. Doesnt have the piggy smell and when I chewed it it tasted awful. Anyone have experience with Westhroid?? Until then I am on a compounded T3/T4 but its not covered by insurance and very expensive….

39. Ana says:

Since 2018, I’ve experienced decreased potency in Naturethroid and NP Thyroid, but the reports of problems with Armour surprise me. I’ve been taking different brands of NDTs since 2004, and I went back on Armour about a year ago after the problems with NP Thyroid started. The Armour I’ve been taking throughout this past year has been very consistent, and the batch I picked up 2 weeks ago is the same. I have found that I need to chew it before swallowing with water in order to increase absorption. I take 150 mg. per day: 75 mg. on rising and 75 mg. about 7 hours later. If I’ve had an unusually active day, I’ll take an extra 15 mg. before bed. It is certainly different from the pre-2015 versions, but it has been working well for me. Maybe I’ve just been lucky to get good batches?

40. Karyn says:

I’ve been on Armour Thyroid for several years and for the THIRD time I believe I’ve received meds that did not contain the supposed dose of desiccated thyroid claimed by the company. Why do I say that? Because all of a sudden my hypothyroid symptoms came back with a vengeance: overwhelming fatigue, hair loss — a LOT of hair loss–puffy face, dry skin, weight gain, etc. This resurgence of low thyroid symptoms was soon substantiated by thyroid tests which showed my levels to be off the charts LOW. My low thyroid symptoms continued for two months and then, just as suddenly, within three (3) days of refilling my (same) prescription the next month–i.e., getting the same dosage of Amour I’d been taking all along–I suddenly had all the symptoms of hyPERthyroid: heart palpitations, sweating, anxiety, etc. Now I’m not a doctor, but the only reason that I can figure out for why my body would suddenly go into hyperthyroidism after being off-the-charts too LOW, was that suddenly I was getting the dosage that I had NOT gotten for the previous two months. So had the Amour Thyroid manufacturer sent out a placebo or a sub-potent pill with lower levels of T4 and T3 than claimed? I was so convinced that they had in the summer of 2019 (and that they had done the same thing in 2018 when I’d also had the exact same sudden hypo symptoms followed by a whiplash to hyper symptoms within days of refilling my prescription), that I filed an online complaint with the FDA in the middle of 2019. An FDA employee contacted me by phone in response and I reported my experiences in detail during our 20-minute conversation. She advised me to see if others had had this same experience with Armour Thyroid and counseled me to file another report if they had (or if I had the same experience again). She literally told me that the FDA would be much more likely to investigate the manufacturer if multiple people reported the same issue. At the time, I was gearing up for the launch of a new business venture and didn’t have a chance to follow up either here or with the FDA, but now that I’ve been jerked around by this same whiplash experience for the third time, I’m filing another FDA report and I hope that anyone else who’s had similar issues with Armour will report their experiences as well. Add a comment here on Janie’s blog so others will know about/recognize/report this issue too, then file a report with the FDA. It takes just a few minutes to do online. I suspect that if other companies have had trouble getting desiccated thyroid supplies, Armour has too. Maybe Armour even gets its supplies from the same supplier as the companies whose products have been recalled. Or maybe Armour is having trouble getting natural thyroid supplies from Asia. The FDA lady said she knew there had been pig illness in Asia — and that was long BEFORE the COVID-19 outbreak there. Through it all Armour has said nothing, but my body doesn’t lie. I believe I’ve gotten either sub-potent meds or placebos in two of my last three months of refills and my last two thyroid tests (one of which I took just two days ago) concur: my T4 levels dropped so abnormally low, we tested 2x and got the same strange results each time. So if Armour is short-changing us with sub-potent meds or placebos, telling no one, and raking in our money like always, I think it’s time we spoke up.

• Karyn, how much Armour have you been on?

Have you also tested your RT3?

• Sheila Anderson says:

I have been taking WP Thyroid since ERFA went south (so approximately 2015). I had noticed that the WP Thyroid didn’t seem as potent and my labs were less than optimal but within range when tested in May so my doc increased my dosage by half a grain. I had been taking 3 grains of WP and increased another 1/2 but that seemed too much so took the extra half 4 times a week. Was ok, but not great, then this recall. My doc wrote a script for 3 grains of Armour which I finally got filled this past week (Thursday, Sept. 24th). I started taking it the next morning, and I feel like I took an anti-thyroid. I feel as though someone sucked out all the energy from my body. I can barely move I am so tired. I know it is way too soon for a blood test to show anything but I don’t think I can make it another six weeks feeling this way. Is it possible that the Armour I got is sub-par such as what Karyn describes. I have tied taking the compounded T3/T4 but didn’t feel right on that either and it was very expensive. Not sure what my next step is. Think I was better off, though not optimal, on the recalled WP Thyroid. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Sheila, it seems like the clue is that you mentioned you were “ok but not great” before you switched to Armour. So it makes one wonder if you had rising RT3, then switching to armour made it even higher. A lot of answers come from doing labs before assuming that a medication is messed up.

• Karyn says:

I’m on 3 grains of Armour now. I had been taking less (2 3/4 grains if memory serves) for awhile and went through a period where my TSH was off the charts high (around 25). This past Spring I went through a period of great fatigue and hair loss and my doc upped the dose to 3 grains because my tests were coming back too low. (We consistently test for T4, T3, and TSH. Not sure I know what RT3 is.) I’ve been on the three grains for about 6 months now. My TSH is back down into “normal” range now and my T3 is in the middle of the “normal” range for the first time (it always came back on the low side of normal), but my T4 suddenly dropped to the absolute bottom of the normal range and that was weird. So we re-tested and all the levels came back the exact same way–TSH and T3 in the mid-normal range and T4 at .08–the exact bottom of the range. I’m still experiencing hair loss and I don’t think it’s stress. I work from home, am used to being in the house most of the time (so Covid lockdowns haven’t been that hard on me), and have no other stressors in my life at present beyond the state of the country(!). So that’s why I’m suspecting the meds as being intermittently sub-potent (or at worst, placebos). The sudden recurrence of hypothyroid symptoms–and the equally sudden whiplash to hyperthyroid symptoms–have been too stark and too abrupt to be explained in any other way, in my opinion. But I’m “all ears” if you suspect a different cause!

• Michele says:

I just got an Armour Rx and filled it. 120 mg (2 grains). Karyn, what amount/size pills were you on and how much were you taking? I sure hope I don’t have your experience. I’m taking mine as I have for decades…sublingually (they are talc=y and dissolve easily) and with a bit of a sweetener to help it get into my system quickly. Their first reformulation removed the dextrose so I “add it back in”.

• We have seen it very rare for only two grains to make someone optimal, thus they eventually have problems and blame the thyroid med, when it’s about not being optimal. https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal

• And when someone hangs onto a non-optimal dose, they eventually see a return of hypothyroidism, or they can see hyper-like symptoms due to having adrenal stress from being underdosed.

• Lynn says:

This is very confusing to me. I was on 1 grain of Naturethroid for 6 years without any issues. I have a friend who has been on 88 mcg of synthroid for 30 years with no challenges after having her thyroid crash. Why is it not possible that someone can utilize less than 2 grains for years?

• Hi Lynn. You got to pay attention to how things are worded. For example, what we observe is based on “most” or “few” and related words to describe observations. Those words do not mean absolutes or 100 percent. So when it’s mentioned about two grains or less, you will see the wording “most” or “vast majority” to describe those who never get optimal on those lower doses. Or it can be stated that it’s very rare to see someone optimal on those low doses. There is even a page on stop the thyroid madness about the gray areas of patient experiences. You could be the minority.

On another side of the coin, there are those who say they are doing well, but eventually admit to symptoms that actually reveal they are not doing as well as they think. That happens a lot to those on T4-only who will say they are doing fine, then you later find out they do have symptoms of not doing fine.

• Eric says:

I’ve experienced what you have since 2018. I stopped taking recently and have t4/t3 synthetic to get me by. If it works for others I’m glad, but I will no longer put my body through the up and downs

• Mark says:

Eric, you state you made a change but how are you feeling??

• Eric says:

Mark,

I feel ok, but nothing like NDT. I have found that I can’t take too much synthetic hormones. Also keep in mind that NDT has a carrier protein that kinda slowly releases the hormones in our body. (Maybe they removed it). With synthetics, you are getting free hormones. So basically, I’m taking synthetics until one day we may get a working NDT. I keep my combo at or around 75-88 t4 and about 5-12.5 t3. Too much t4 bothers me.

41. Joy Hornsby says:

I’ve had several pharmacist tell me NP is generic for Armour so they substituet it for Armour. Call & ask the pharmacist. The fillers are a little different & NP is cheaper. I think due to Covid a lot of pigs in feeding places have been killed the reason of a shortage in US.

• Michele says:

I have also been told that Armour goes by the names of NP, Westhroid, Naturethroid….but they are not the same. Many of us had big issues with the NP (me too), so I was insistent on it being Armour this time. It looks and smells like the old Armour of the old days….tablet with no coating too. I’ll start it tomorrow and see how it feels when I take it sublingually.

• Rebecca says:

Really? The prescription of 120 mg Armour that I picked up recently is very hard, no porcine smell and the tablets are so acidic tasting they actually burn my mouth and cause my stomach to burn and acid to come up my throat….not to mention the rapid return of hypothyroid symptoms.. I’m so disgusted and dismayed. I guess I should call Allergan????

• Rebecca, sounds like the pharmacy is subbing NP Thyroid for the Armour.

• Rebecca says:

Hi Janie, No the tablets are definitely Armour. They have the “A” on them…my Dr specified Brand Only. I had a some of the NP “recalled batch” so the pharmacy switched them pill for pill for a new batch and the are like the olden days…slightly sweet and dissolve quickly. I have only taken them for 5 days so I guess we will see!!

42. Pat McGee says:

So, I spent 70 bucks on stuff that has now been recalled. I went to my local Kroger where I bought it, and the Pharmacy personnel knew nothing about the recall (despite my being alerted by a robocall from Kroger!) I had to google it for them.
    They would not refund my money but suggested I contact the manufacturer. ????
    How do I get a refund?

• Diane Cressman says:

I would call the mfr and ask them to send another bottle to your pharmacy to substitute for the recalled batch OR speak to the head pharmacist with the info.. they should give you a new lot. Same thing happened to me with NP thyroid recall, and that’s what I did. I was successful and both Acella and the pharmacy were cooperative and apologetic. Insist!

43. Sonia Palma says:

Janie, I wish your husband quick recovery. And thank you for your post. Could anyone tell me if, considering the problems and high cost of porcine NDT, any good information or experience with bovine NDT?

• Donna L Stearns says:

Sonia, I used Thyrogold for about a year. It was easy to order, easy to receive shipped. However, it drove up my reverse T3 to unacceptable levels. I then switched back to porcine NDT.

• Thank you Sonia. And two sides of the story with OTC bovine. On one side are those who see their RT3 go up. And we do see research that implies that there are certain seasons when a cow is slaughtered that can mean higher levels of RT3 in the cow which may be passed down.

But there are other patients who state they like their OTC bovine. So just keep an eye out on your labs, and see if you can get optimal: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/optimal Some add T3 to their OTC thyroid. Other causes of high RT3 here: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/reverse-t3

P.S. This year, we’ve seen batches of Thyrogold that seemed to be ineffective. Not sure how it is today.

44. barbara Inglis says:

Does anyone know how ERFA is working lately? I saw the posts from 2014 but couldn’t see what came of that and if it was changed back or not.
    I had tried Armour years ago, after it had changed and responded horribly to the fillers.
    MY body has a very hard time with any change (goes into an extremely debilitating 6 month plus spin with any minimal dosage or medication change, NT isn’t working for me anymore and I don’t know what to do.

Also, is there a formula for the compounded natural thyroid? Had a pharmacist make one for me a few years back and it was horrible.

• Based on patient reports here or there, it’s ok for some and not for others.

• lou says:

I used to use Armour, some years back but when it stopped working, after they changed the filler I was told, I switched to getting it from Canada, made by ERFA. It has worked fine since then but they had sourcing problems for the raw material, backorders, shortages of some strengths. And worst, the price just went up and up. I have reached the point that I need to find a reliable substitute that won’t break the bank. My insurer wouldn’t pay for it, since it was from another country. And I was always worried that Customs would stop it. I came here looking for a substitute, and it doesn’t look good. Back to the Armour again? It is really tiresome to have so much trouble with a drug when so many people need it. And never know when something will change and it won’t work anymore.

45. Barbara Inglis says:

Just wanted to share that on March 25, 2020, I replaced my NT (390mg) with an equal amount of Bovine thyroid by Priority One.
    In my case it was as if it did not contain ANY thyroid at all, or I just could not absorb any.
    Within 6 weeks, I became extremely hypo, doctor ordered labs and before we could get the results, I could not longer stand unaided, had to be carried to the bathroom and later started leaving my body. My family found me unresponsive and called the doctor who brought me back with a high dose of synthetic T4.
    I gained 10 lbs, lost almost all my hair and a tooth.
    I have been back on NT for almost 5 months now but it isn’t working well and my hypo symptoms persist.
    I would recommend that anyone trying the Priority One Bovine thyroid get VERY frequent lab work to make sure it is working for them.

46. Rebecca says:

Once NP stopped working in late 2019, I went to Armour. Has anyone that takes it noticed a gross, bitter tablet taste? I also have burning in my stomach and throat in the morning after taking it. PS Janie, thank you for all you have done for thyroid patients!! You deserve the Nobel Peace Prize!!!🏆

• Michele says:

Are you sure you have Armour. My doctor Rx’s brand name Armour and when I asked what I was to pick up when they called to tell me it was ready, they told me it was NP Thyroid. NOT Armour. Does the tablet have a big A on one side? Maybe you got the wrong stuff like they tried to do to me…this is not the first time they have done this at 2 different pharmacies. They think Armour is anything NDT.

• Rebecca says:

Hello, yes I am sure. The tablets do have the A on them. There has to be something “WRONG” with this medication….however no one seems to have any answers….all they say is “we haven’t changed anything.” REALLY???

• wendy says:

Michele – This has happened to me a few times with having NP Thyroid changed because it costs less then Armor, I asked them to change it to what the doctor sent in, as I’m paying for it out of pocket anyways. Why they fight me on it I’m not sure. The pharmacist told me not all of the NP thyroid was recalled, but the one he gave me was the same that I had that was recalled. FYI was Fred Meyer who is part of Kroger

47. Julie Beitsche says:

I think it’s crazy that the pharmacy (at least Walmart) doesn’t track what lot number(s) your prescription comes from.
    How is that legal?? You are told that yours *might* be from a bad lot but they don’t know for sure.
    Isn’t the point of having lot numbers to protect the customer? That is lost of the pharmacy doesn’t track it. They only seem to track the lot number if they give you a full bottle from the manufacturer, not if they’ve had to use multiple bottles to fill your prescription.
    Walmart replaced my NP from the first recall (super potent issues) after I pushed the issue. They wanted me to get another prescription from my dr and I said no, I don’t even see that dr anymore, this is to give me what I should have gotten the first time around.
    I did notice that I was anxious and not sleeping very well on my NP so I do think it was super potent. It was so noticeable that I went through the lowering and retesting dance (at my expense) trying to get things right only to find out later (too late to really be helpful) that the pills were recalled. Super frustrating. The recall doesn’t begin to compensate for what we are put through.

• Diane Cressman says:

48. Michelle Sarchiapone says:

After the NP debacle when my health tanked, I did a short stint on compounded T3/T4 and then due to cost, switched back to WP. WP was working great for me (labs verified this) so this recall is a bit of a shock! My pharmacy replaced it with Westhroid. I cant find any info on this site on the efficacy of Westhroid. Anyone have any thoughts? I can go back on the compounded synthetic T3/T4 but that costs $150 a month as its not covered by my insurance.

• Westhroid was around before WP hit the market strong, and WP somewhat replaced it for a lot of patients. Then we heard that Westhroid was continuing to be made more for veterinarian use. But who knows. And we don’t have enough feedback from patients to know if it’s been affected too.

49. Michele says:

I finally got my test results on 2 grains of really old expired in 2016 Armour taken with some Xylitol every morning. I was mid range for Ft4 and a little below mid-range for FT3. The new doc that I found said I could stay on what I was taking and I told him of the recalls and that I only wanted Armour. The pharmacy called……I asked what they had for me and they said NP Thyroid. I said that I was to have gotten the brand name Armour. They called me back…they substituted the NP because they don’t have any Armour (this is a huge WalMart). So, I’ll wait a couple days and see if they have it back. But some are now reporting that it’s also being problematic???

• Very few are reporting it problematic, and if they do, it’s usually because they aren’t optimal and/or have an iron or cortisol problem.

• Michele says:

Thank you Janie. I will keep my fingers crossed that they will be able to find some Armour for me. If not I guess it’s back to the new doc for T3 only….I can’t take the synthetic T4.

• Michele says:

I just picked up 90 days worth of 120 mg of Armour Thyroid. They initially filled my “name brand Armour” with NP thyroid and I refused it and so the said they had to order Armour. It came in today and I picked it up. It says it’s from Forest Labs and is an off white/cream pill with the big A on it and it smells like the original Armour. Wish me luck!

50. Nora says:

I can’t comment on why pharmaceutical companies can’t/won’t share their porcine suppliers, but if I had to guess it likely has something to do with patents on their formula. I would think they should be more transparent given the amount of auditing that occurs typically with GCP or GMP during drug development. Seems like a lot of companies have dropped the ball more so in GMP with Phase 4 research (after market studies). Basically, it sounds like no one was batch sampling product as it came off the line. For more info on the main porcine supplier check out…..https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-alerts-drug-makers-recall-porcine-thyroid-api-sichuan-friendly-pharmaceutical-co-limited-china

This porcine supplier company has had so many FDA flags for not following GMP over the years. I honestly can’t believe companies continued to use them despite this. Please, if any of you are experiencing adverse events from these medications, submit a medwatch report to the FDA. https://www.fda.gov/safety/medwatch-fda-safety-information-and-adverse-event-reporting-program

51. Danette says:

When I was checking out the link posted earlier for Armour, I noticed that there is a Patient Assistance Program, which provides 90 days at a time for free. Since Allergan has just been taken over by AbbVie, I don’t know if they’re still accepting patients, but it doesn’t hurt to try. Links to the forms are here. They need to be submitted by a healthcare provider. it can be renewed every 90 days, according to the FAQ. Maybe this can help someone here! https://www.allergan.com/patient-assistance-programs/armour

52. eric says:

Janie, thank you for your informative blog post. I have a list of the companies that are producing porcine and/or ships it to the U.S. FDA website

Quingdao Tida Biotek Co LTD: marketing date 8/1/20

A/S Orthan Kemisk Fabrik: marketing date 7/29/20

Sichaun Deebio Pharm Co. ltd marketing date: 9/20/20

Nordmark Arzneimittel Gmbh & Co. Kg marketing date: 8/16/19

Apotheca Company markeking date: 8/16/2014

Bioiberica Marekting date: 2/5/19

PCCA is also listed but they are a “middle” handler

American Labs inc is still listed but most likely stopped in 2017

53. Eric says:

Just a heads up, Allergan has been doing clinical trials on Armour since October of 2019. This corresponds to when I think it started to go down hill further. However for those who do well on it that is great.
    It’s time we all look at the elephant in the room; what exactly was in the formula of the American source of porcine before they stopped in fall of 2017? Why was fda there in that same timeline? It clear that it was different. I doubt it was 100% porcine.
    I’ve tried compounded as well several times; same weirdness.

I’ve spoken to the medical information contact at Allergan on several occasions. She stated she cannot confirm the pigs or porcine are sourced in United States. I’ve tried ALI, former source of porcine. Two people I spoke with there said they are not allowed to discuss “that” product. (Porcine)

• Starr D. says:

I think there’s a lot of factors that go into making quality ingredients for these pills,
      based on all the thyroid drug companies I’ve talked to over the years (because I’d
      get messed-up by their products.) Is the factory clean? Are the machines working
      right? One thyroid drug I was on called Euthroid was discontinued, because they
      got busted for not having the humidity right when they made it–and probably other
      violations. And they didn’t sell that much of it, so they just discontinued it rather
      than make changes. On porcine, maybe it matters what the pigs were fed–and were
      any antibiotics or chemicals put in their feed? Things like that. Also, the binders,
      fillers, and colors in a pill can affect how you use and absorb the active ingredient–
      so you need quality binders, fillers, and colors, too (if there is coloring used.) Most
      of all, a thyroid drug company needs to CARE about putting out a good product.
      Good luck with that, right?

• Starr D. says:

Thanks, Janie. Unfortunately, it took me a LOT of years to learn
          all that—the very hard way! But it’s good to share it, so others
          can understand. Thanks again so much, for all you do!

P.S. A “fun” fact–when Levoxyl changed formula in the early ’90s
          and I got bad reactions from the changes, I called the company and
          they sent me a little test tube-type container with a cap on it, to send
          them samples of my batch so they could supposedly analyze it.
          Inside this sealed test tube was a nice little insect. Possibly a beetle.
          It really made me wonder what was going on at that factory,
          as far as cleanliness! As if the changed formula wasn’t enough
          to deal with!

• Lynn says:

What else could be in the porcine powder? What do you think about the theory that the porcine powder could be from pigs that were infected with African swine flu in China? Could the ammonia smell of the powder be due to contamination or cleaning of the powder? My doctor claims to know that all the NDT’s use the same source of powder but is unsure if Armour is using the same or not. To me it has a hint of the smell but not as bad as NP did when it first went bad. I understand NP thyroid no longer has the smell but is still bad. When I tried Armour it gave me reflux and chest tightness.

• We did hear there was some kind of washing going on that may involve an ammonia smell. But again, that smell was never there when US companies were using the same source of porcine from American Labs in the US. That is what your doctor may be referring to, but that source stopped a few years ago and he doesn’t seem to realize that. As far as NP no longer having the smell…no, there are still people who report noticing it, in spite of the coating that was put on it after all the complaints.

Reflux and chest tightness have been reported by people who stayed on too low a dose, too long. Or they had a cortisol problem.

• Lynn says:

Thanks Janie! I understand the cortisol, iron challenge but switching to the same dose of t3/t4 stopped the reflux and breathing issues so I’m pretty confident Armour caused it.

54. Renee says:

I saw Janie’s blog post yesterday and went into panic mode. I cannot take Synthroid. I was doing fantastic on WP until that whole nightmare in 2017. I got switched to Naturethroid. I got sick on Naturethroid and then had to switch to NP. It took many months on NP fiddling with the dosage and making lifestyle changes, but I finally got myself situated again for the most part. I now take lots of Vitamin D, Selenium, Vitamin K2, Thorne Methyl-guard (for my MTHFR mutation), and turmeric. Thankfully, I was able to stock up on good NP right before the lockdown hit and I had enough to cover me for 6 months…Now I am almost out and need a refill, and now I’m not sure what is going to happen. Not to sound melodramatic or anything, but I’m actually feeling terrified. I just CANNOT go backwards again. I cannot get sick again. When I even think about it I feel like I am going to burst into tears. I started a new, very challenging, job in April that takes every ounce of energy and focus that I have. I have to drive an hour to work and an hour back home. If I get sick again I won’t be able to work. I don’t have sick time built up and my new insurance is awful. I can’t go for bloodwork every couple of months to monitor where my levels are as I transition. I can’t mentally/emotionally afford the transition time of changing medications because when I have changed meds in the past, it has taken me months to get sorted out. I can’t lose my hair again. I can’t gain all the weight back that I worked so hard to lose. I can’t have the horrendous inflammation and pain in my body and every other horrible symptom that I suffered. I seriously can’t even focus on what I need to do today because my thoughts are preoccupied with this recall. I have a call in to my doctor, I emailed her the recall information that Janie provided, and I have a call into the pharmacy to see if they have any in stock. This is a nightmare. My anxiety level is high.

55. Susan M Hall says:

This article illuminates some of the problems with contracting out manufacturing and sourcing active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) from outside the United States. Apparently Acella was contracting some of their manufacturing out to a contractor.

56. Teresa says:

Janie, thank you. We are sending well wishes for your husband’s recovery and good health. Please take care of yourself.

57. Susan M Hall says:

Cutting & pasting this from a NewsWeek article dated 9/21/20. I’m hoping that the statement in the first paragraph is a typo: “In some tests of the tablets, the company found that the levels were 87 percent lower than labelled” No wonder patients are hypo!!!

I’ve switched to a Synthroid Cytomel combination. Current dose is 100 mcg of Synthroid & 25 mcg of Cytomel and I feel ok. Too soon for lab work. I’ll do labs in about 4 weeks. Generics on both as my pharmacy advised me that the brand name Cytomel is on backorder.

• Danette says:

Acella’s response seems strange, too — even though the levels were 87% lower than labeled and people taking this medication are taking it because of hypothyroidism, they’re saying that the elderly could have symptoms of *hyper*thyroidism from taking the recalled medication? How is that even possible?

• Veronica says:

I believe the FDA notice says it contains 87% of active ingredient, not that the levels were 87% lower!!! FDA allows 90%, apparently. My understanding is that when your brain notices a drop in thyroid hormone in your body (this would be about 3-13 mg drop on a 1 grain dose depending on the potency one took beforehand, if my math is right) it tries to compensate by releasing more thyroid hormone. Hence the hyper. I hope Janie will comment on this “Hyper” part of the recall, because it is really scary. I’ve had a lot of hypo symptoms return, AND heart palps, insomnia, anxiety, etc.

58. Penni Nortom says:

Why are docs so scared to use T3? I don’t know, but I am currently taking 1grain of ndt and almost 50mcg T3 (no thyroid). The last two docs I saw are wanting to up the ndt and lower by half or more the T3. I am treating adrenals LLLH and was told to STOP; doc came back from a conference last week and says it will cause my adrenals to shut down. So I’m not sure what they are teaching, but I have been feeling better using the STTM patient experience prtocols and will continue to look for a brave doc that prescribes T3 until I can figure out why I’m not converting T4 to T3.

• I’ve been told the same thing by one particular new doctor I was trying out. He stated that my use of HC (at that particular time only) would cause my adrenals to shut down. Nope, it was a safe physiologic amount, not a pharmacologic amount, and I was working with another doctor who knew this.

59. Anna says:

A follow-up question to my previous post: has anyone here switched from NDT to T3+T4, due to cost issues and poor availability/potency problems? I am seriously considering it. My only question is if NDT contains other hormones that are beneficial to us and that I would miss out on if I switched to a synthetic combo drug? My doctor suggested Novothyral (I believe it´s the equivalent of Thyrolar in the US)?

• A body of patients are reporting doing well on T4/T3 and if they get their frees optimal. The optimal frees have proven key to not seeing the feel goods backfire.

• Karen says:

I am seeing a new endocrinologist because I needed extensive re-evaluation for continued hypo symptoms, despite increasing my Nature-throid dose to 4 grains a couple of years ago. After seeing everything about the recalls, I’m sure the ineffective medication is the reason. My new doctor is starting me on Synthroid & Cytomel to give the ability to adjust the levels independently. I hope this works! She is concerned because my FT3 was 6.1, while my TSH was .03. And I still have hypo symptoms like body temp of 96.7-97.1, hair falling out, difficulty sleeping, weight gain, constipation, brittle hair, clumsiness when running trails… My cortisol level was 21. To make things more difficult, it appears I’m entering menopause based on the hot flashes, absent period, and FSH of 75. Hoping for the best!

• Lynn says:

I have tried a synthetic t3/t4 combo and just tried tirosint with slow release t3 and it appears that both cause lower leg pain that wakes me up at about 3 am every night even at a low dose (13 mcg of tirosint or 19 mcg of t4). No doctors seem to be able to explain this so I have been unsuccessful at taking synthetic. I’m basically taking 1/4 grain of porcine powder pus 1/4 of synthetic t4/t3 and barely functioning.

60. Sue Hack says:

I went through the sickness of being on the tainted/too potent NP and then switched back to Nature-Throid In May 2020. I have hardly left my room or house since then. I said all summer it was as if I was taking sugar pills. Went to the doctor in August to get labs checked and they refused to do them I was told to come back in 4 weeks. Well, that made me sicker. Finally got labs done on September 5th and sure enough despite taking the Nature-Throid all summer, I’m very hypothyroid. I am allergic to Synthroid and had a bad reaction to Armour after the 2009 reformulation but had no choice but to try it again. I’ve been on it a week and feel a different kind of yucky, kind of angry which I never am. I will admit I’m a mess over this whole ordeal with NDT meds. I’m having panic attacks about how no one seems to care about giving us good medicine anymore. RLC labs said they haven’t had any adverse reactions, bullshit just the mental hell we have to go through by buying our medicine and taking it for months to find out the crap didn’t work, that messes with you both physically and mentally. I read some place but don’t have the link and can’t remember where I read it that Armour bought up all the good US porcine thyroid powder. This info and the link I’m going to share might be enough to think that true. Now this could be a plot to destroy Armour or finally admitting that Armour does work and the company will make it pre 2009, God I pray. Here it is…..on May 8, 2020 the makers of Synthroid, abbvie bought Armour and or teamed up with the makers of Armour. Here is the link with the proof. When clicking on the link if the information box about the merge does not pop up, I have a screen shot saved on my phone. I am scared to the point that I’m having bad panic attacks and agoraphobia over this whole NDT mess. Being allergic to Synthroid so much that I had to have Epinephrine, NDT is all I’ve ever been able to take since 1997. Since the reformulation of Armour in 2009 I switched to Nature-Throid and did great until 2018. These last 2 years has been hell searching for good NDT medicine, I haven’t been optimal for almost 3 years now. All the money wasted on crap pills, we should all get a life time supply of good medicine. To be told you have a disease and you have to take a pill the rest of your life and the pills don’t work is making me not want to live in Hypothyroid hell anymore.

• Starr D. says:

Hi, Sue. I’m so sorry you’ve gone through all this….your last sentence really got to me, as that’s
      how I feel, too. When I became a thyroid patient back in 1975-76 (when I was eleven & twelve
      years old, I was treated for a bad case of Grave’s Disease with radio-isotope drinks to destroy
      a lot of my thyroid gland), they said–don’t worry, all you do is have to take daily medicine and
      you can have a full life. My doctor had many patients on Synthroid for years back then, and
      he said they were doing quite well. I also did well on it until they changed that formula and
      some other things about it in 1982-83, and I haven’t found anything to help me as good, since.
      I’ve certainly tried…doctors have given me a lot of different thyroid drugs, doses, and
      combinations over the years. And it still goes on. I’ve also been caught up in the last
      five years with WP thyroid not working right for me after a time, then they seemed to
      be having problems with it at the factory (and quit making it for awhile), then onto NP
      thyroid medicine….where it helped for awhile and then had problems. Now I’m on
      synthetics again, and I go for labs pretty soon and we’ll see how they look–but I feel
      awful and it hasn’t helped any that my main source of encouragement and support,
      my brother Jordan, passed away on March 31. He would’ve benefitted from better
      thyroid medicine and better testing, too. This is all such a mess, for some of us.
      And like you, I’m really sick of it. And I don’t know how much more torture I can take.
      I just will have to hope that it gets better for both of us, soon. I was on Armour’s for
      several months this past year and last–it helped me better for awhile, then it didn’t–
      I started getting the same symptoms from it as the other natural meds–doctor finally
      said to try synthetics, again. I’m on Amneal T4 plus SigmaPharm T3. Not quite on
      two months, though….I’ll have to see. Right now, I’m not in a great place with it–I
      can only hope my testing will show something that will help. Best to you.

61. Delores Meyers says:

I NEED this struggle to end!!! In early 2018 (I think) the shortages of Naturethroid got so bad I had to switch to NP Thyroid. I thought I was doing pretty good on it until early 2019, when I began to crash really bad. I had heard Armour was also a problem so I started seeing a Naturopath in August of 2019 and have been spending several thousand dollars on gas for the 6 hour round trip to get to her, and on all the supplements treating my Adrenals, Pituitary and poor thyroid function. I was still struggling and saw posts the Armour was helping so I got switched to Armour. I was taking 2.5 grains with a bout on needing 3.5 grains. Now I’ve been backsliding so bad I bumped my 2.5 to 5 grains. I’m doing better but NOT doing as well as I was in 2017 on Naturethroid. I am so sick of this!!!! I am questioning whether Armour is also under potency too!!!!!!!! I am so sick of this. We need whatever is wrong to get corrected again. We thyroid patients don’t deserve this added stress and illness because of drug company issues with getting quality product to make these meds. And why are they not testing there products to be sure the potency is correct? In 2019, that crash had me feeling like I was dying. I can’t go through that again. I still have little energy, brain fog, slow digestion now, joint pain and so much more. I NEED to feel like myself again.

62. Julie says:

I was wondering why my hair was still falling out, headaches and have no energy with digestive issues. My script was increased and my testing was acceptable but I wonder how this can be it seems it should test low? Wonder what their testing?

63. Karen says:

As an Australian who was unable to get the Thiroyd from Thailand due to COVID I went back to the compounded NDT from my compound pharmacy and just like years ago when I used to take it, my symptoms returned fast and furious! I am not sure if its not strong enough or if its something to do with the fillers, but whatever the compound pharmacies use here doesn’t work for me. I have since obtained Armour and things seem back to normal for now. Why are NDT thyroid medications so hard to get right?

64. Nadine says:

I’ve been on Erfa for 14 years. I have had to adjust Dose’s a few times when some batches seemed weaker, it works for me.

65. Jerry says:

Thank you so much for this info on Naturethroid and other NDT recalls. I checked mine and itwas filled in Aug. but is NOT affected. I started on Naturethroid in 2018 after 25 years on Synthroid, with fatigue and difficulty maintaining healthy weight and blood pressure. I gained so much from your website and it has changed my life, possibly saved my life as I was able to return to normal BP with NO BP meds at all, just the switch to NDT. I am very concerned that I will get a batch that is weak, but so far that hasn’t happened. In spite of what has been happening to others, I have chosen to stick with Naturethroid for the time being and since it appears that the same thing is occurring industry-wide, so a brand switch may bring only temporary relief. I will also consult my homeopath for advice in addition to what I am learning here. Unfortunatly, I have lost almost all confidence in the mainstream medical community, I am much better off with a homeopath, who tests more parameters, was the only one wiling to prescribe NDT, and also discovered that I had extremely low vitamin D3,which accounts for some fatigue and can weaken the immune system. Just one more bit of advice when dealing with hypothyroidism, avoid smoking and alcohol (I am 22 years zero alcohol), stay away from soda, processed foods, fried foods, concentrated sugars etc. I do eat LOTS of fresh fruit and vegetables, grilled or baked lean meats, lots of fresh squeezed orange juice, plenty of water. At 57 years old, I am still a firefighter, I work out for over an hour every shift, stay active outdoors and get plenty of sunshine. That has to help through the changes in NDT strength from batch to batch. Thanks again for all your advice and maintaining a website that helps so many people stay healthy.

66. Jan Sessions says:

Hopefully the pharmacist will know of NP recalls.

67. Anna says:

I´m in Europe and only Armour and Erfa are available here (provided you can find a doctor to prescribe NDT, that is). Even if you do, Erfa is said not to work anymore, and Armour is incredibly expensive (you easily end up paying more than 2000 USD a year if you take 4 grains daily). So, for the past five years, I´ve been taking Thyroid-S from Thailand with great results. But now it´s on backorder everywhere (apparently due to African swine fever basically wiping out stocks). Thiroyd and TR were both discontinued last year, and it would seem the swine fever pandemic was the reason. Earlier this year, one of the suppliers of NDT in Thailand started selling their own brand of NDT, Tru Thyroid. I have not tried it, but it has not been getting good reviews in the forums I´m a member of. It´s only available as 30 mg pills and is reported to be weak. Another brand has appeared on the market recently – Real Thyroid from a Vietnamese pharmaceutical company. It´s available as 1 grain pills. Unfortunately, it contains both seaweed and potassium iodide which can be problematic for people with hypothyroidism, especially Hashimoto´s (potassium iodide is even used to treat hyperthyroidism). Plus, the pills are huge and very difficult to swallow from what I´ve read . One person tried to chew the pills up and said it was like “eating sawdust”. I checked the list of ingredients, and it also contains cellulose.
    The situation is extremely worrying. It appears Thyroid-S will be available soon, but the price has gone up so much that it´s now as expensive as Armour. One 500 ct bottle (the biggest one now made) costs more than twice as much as a 1000 ct bottle used to cost. And suppliers warn us the price may go up again. I am seriously considering switching to synthetic T3 and T4 as I see no future for NDT. Thousands of patients are now without Thyroid-S and without options since production was just stopped abruptly, without giving patients time to find alternatives. And now, with Thiroyd and TR discontinued and the other two brands deemed ineffective, it´s really the seller´s market…Sriprisit Pharma can charge any amount they want, and people who need Thyroid-S will have no choice but to pay. One thing is certain – Thai NDT is no longer the reliable, cost-effective alternative it once was. A real shame!!!

• Sharon says:

It IS so frustrating that we are just trying to obtain quality consistent product for much need supplementation, but are put into this bind.
      Thanks so much for the current info on NDT from the pacific rim.

• Pete says:

Hi Anna… wondering if you can tell me what forums you’re talking about in regards to your comment about Tru Thyroid? After a long time on Thiroyd I’m looking for an alternative and have been considering Tru Thyroid, but have not found any patient experiences reported on any forums. Are they reporting it to be weak simply because they’re only 30mgs or is the potency not equal to other (effective) NDTs? BTW… regarding Thiroyd… I was told by my supplier when this all went down last summer that Greater Pharma decided to stop production because the Thai government started requiring new product licensing. If true, that surely would be affecting pricing for Thyroid-S I would think. Thanks in advance for any info you may have for me.

• Hello Pete, I have tried Tru-Thyroid. The company, Natural Noon, makes it themselves. The website is http://www.naturalnoon.com or http://www.truthyroid.com. I ordered it just when Covid hit because Thiroyd was no longer being made (which worked beautifully for me). I ordered Tru Thyroid end of April, 2020, and did not receive it until end of July. The tablets are very tiny, and they stick to the teeth terribly. 2 tablets equals 1 grain. They seem to be sub potent, so I tried 3 tablets, which seemed to help, but still I was unsure if 3 tablets (1.5 grains) was the right dose for me. I placed a month’s worth in a container with some dessicant packets (to help dry tablets out) and that seemed to help a bit to keep the tablets from sticking to the teeth–but it only helped a tiny bit. The poor quality and the sub-potency may both be due to the terribly long transit time, and being who knows where for 3 months. They were apparently held up in Bangkok. When I realized that it was becoming increasingly difficult to order NDT overseas, I went to a doctor in June, and asked them to prescribe Nature Throid, 65 mg. That seemed to work ok, but I still was not feeling great. Then Nature Throid was recalled in September 2020, and now I’m trying NP Thyroid (60 mg). Still not feeling optimal. I was hoping Tru Thyroid would be a solution to not being able to obtain Thiroyd anymore, but I’m not sure what to do now either. I hope that helps regarding Tru Thyroid.

68. Philippa Snowdon says:

In UK at present T3 (LIOTHYRONINE) costs the NHS as follows:

“In 2016, the 28-day National Health Service (NHS) cost of liothyronine in the UK increased dramatically from about £4·50 to £258·19, resulting in widespread patient concern and media coverage.1 Jan 2019”

69. Kathy Guerra says:

I got that notice with my last Rx of NP Thyroid 60mg. It said possibly over amount. I have been happy with NP Thyroid after my doc wanted to take me off of Levothyroxine and cytomel because my TSH was 0.001 Lately I have experienced weight gain, fatigue, dry skin and eyes, and other symptoms. Thought it could be meds or Covid restrictions (!) Anyway, my T3 was finally in range last bloodwork after always being below range. My doc won’t test anything other than TSH, T3 and T4. I am now on medicare and Rx only covers Levo so I pay with GoodRx ($50/90 pills). So frustrated.

70. Kay says:

Wow, prayers for your husband and “Thank you so much” for this email regarding the recall, I have to order my Nature-Thyroid on Tuesday so will be calling my pharmacist and doctor as what to do as I cannot take the Synthroid or any generic form, hopefully, my pharmacist can compound my medication for me, as they did once before when there was a recall from another brand I was on, will be costly but I must have my medication. I have been having problems for about 6 months my prescription is filled every 90 days and my doctors has been trying to find out what is wrong with me, as a test was done about 9 months ago I was ok, but many of things I read are my story of bad health, wow, maybe this is my problems.
    Once again, thanks so much for your website and emails that help us all.
    Kay (Wolfie)

71. Lynn says:

Great article Janie! Another good question would be where does Armour get it’s porcine from if they are still good?

• Suzanne says:

I’d like to know that too, Lynn. I’ve been on Armour for many years. It’s the only thing that works for me.

• Anna says:

Lynn,
        I cannot answer your question, but my supplier of Thai NDT recently told me that the Thai manufacturers, as well as “several US manufacturers”, get their raw material from China (one of the countries hit hardest by the outbreak of African swine fever). Maybe Allergan (mfg of Armour) sources their raw material domestically which could explain the difference…? Although I have been doing fine on Thai NDT for years, I am not too crazy about the idea of the raw material coming from China, since I have no idea which drugs and pesticides they allow.